The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

FIRE Jim Benning & Travis Green Thread

Rate this topic

Sanford

As a lifelong Canucks fan since the late 70's, I've seen a lot of winning and a lot of losing. The best years came with strong, steady leadership at the helm - Pat Quinn and (with some clarification) Mike Gillis. Both of these guys were innovators and new how to lead an organization. Quinn demanded/commanded respect. When it comes to Gillis, while his strength wasn't in drafting or gm'ing, it was definitely in leading. He would be tremendous as a PHO.

What the Canucks don't need now is a knee jerk response. If I were the Aquilini's, a) I'd be rich and b) I'd be looking for a PHO now. Let that hire dictate everything else. Top down vs bottom up change is what's needed, from my perspective. 

Let the players, coaches and GM stew a little longer... figure out the leadership!!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, SaneNuxFan said:

As a lifelong Canucks fan since the late 70's, I've seen a lot of winning and a lot of losing. The best years came with strong, steady leadership at the helm - Pat Quinn and (with some clarification) Mike Gillis. Both of these guys were innovators and new how to lead an organization. Quinn demanded/commanded respect. When it comes to Gillis, while his strength wasn't in drafting or gm'ing, it was definitely in leading. He would be tremendous as a PHO.

What the Canucks don't need now is a knee jerk response. If I were the Aquilini's, a) I'd be rich and b) I'd be looking for a PHO now. Let that hire dictate everything else. Top down vs bottom up change is what's needed, from my perspective. 

Let the players, coaches and GM stew a little longer... figure out the leadership!!

He had president of hockey opps and didn't let him do his job. 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, SaneNuxFan said:

I agree with a new PHO

but you want to show positive change immediately

the new guy does not want Benning making any more trades, so he should be the first guy gone

making the players continue to play under Green seems punitive, why would you want to start your new tenure punishing the players you are trying to grade

If the new Prez has a GM in mind, sign him. Or act as GM until he is available in the off season

there is no use trying to decide who stays and who goes under Green, Green must go the same day as Benning

Give the players a clean slate and grade them from now until seasons end

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

meh let's just keep green till the end of the season that way we have a legitimate shot at finishing dead last. firing green and hiring competent coaches will only waste this disastrous season by finishing outside of a playoff spot but not trash enough for a top 3 pick

that is a good idea, provided you are comfortable with every player on your roster losing confidence in you and the organization

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

meh let's just keep green till the end of the season that way we have a legitimate shot at finishing dead last. firing green and hiring competent coaches will only waste this disastrous season by finishing outside of a playoff spot but not trash enough for a top 3 pick

I mean even Greens teams manage to do well once they’re eliminated from the playoffs.

Id like to see a jump start on a culture change this season. Green needs to go before too much damage is done.

Trade players at the deadline to help ensure the tank continues.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

19 hours ago, BureBurrito said:

Tweet on the #canucks feed....

"Blake Price says there has been very preliminary contact made with somebody by #canucksNHLTeam_2021_Canucks.png ownership. They expected to hear a flat no but they didn’t. Price is working on a name."

That name? MIKE GILLIS.

I think it could be Dean Lombardi, in the past I recall Canucks wanted him but he refused.

24 minutes ago, lmm said:

that is a good idea, provided you are comfortable with every player on your roster losing confidence in you and the organization

meh i'm sure every player on this roster already lost confidence in the organization after seeing this disaster of a start and the organization basically did nothing after 20 games lol. 

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

meh i'm sure every player on this roster already lost confidence in the organization after seeing this disaster of a start and the organization basically did nothing after 20 games lol. 

if that is the case, you might as well start moving them all out now

28 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I mean even Greens teams manage to do well once they’re eliminated from the playoffs.

Id like to see a jump start on a culture change this season. Green needs to go before too much damage is done.

Trade players at the deadline to help ensure the tank continues.

meh what do we have for trade at the deadline? we don't really have players on expiring contract other than Motte. anything we trade won't be a rental for a contending team as there will be another year + left. anything we try to move will have to include baggage coming back the other way. not worth it..

Green: "We want these guys to play hockey the right way"

Me: "O'really? What way would that be? Standing around watching the other team score? Not pressuring the puck? Joining the rush to giveaway odd man rushes? Letting your goalie get peppered every night?"

I'm just here to see if (anyone got fined) anything changed yet. Nope. See ya next month.

9 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

Green: "We want these guys to play hockey the right way"

Me: "O'really? What way would that be? Standing around watching the other team score? Not pressuring the puck? Joining the rush to giveaway odd man rushes? Letting your goalie get peppered every night?"

I'm just here to see if (anyone got fined) anything changed yet. Nope. See ya next month.

I can’t stand the lack of accountability Green has.

He constantly passes the blame onto the players. Like we need these guys to be better, or they need to play this way or that way.

It’s literally his job to get players to buy in and play a certain way. If there are players refusing to play a certain way you go to the GM and you trade them. It’s not complicated.

I get that the players are professionals and should be ready to play, but it’s also his responsibility to make sure they’re properly prepared, which they clearly aren’t.

He also can’t blame results on being a young team, but then completely refuse to take responsibility for his lack of development of those players. This team also isn’t that young anymore, that excuse is wearing pretty thin.

I think what’s happened is Green was able to take them so far as a rookie coach. But now they’re at a new level in their development where they need a coach with a better understanding of the game. Green doesn’t seem to be able to coach past the very basics. Which is why we need a veteran coach.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

11 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

5 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

meh what do we have for trade at the deadline? we don't really have players on expiring contract other than Motte. anything we trade won't be a rental for a contending team as there will be another year + left. anything we try to move will have to include baggage coming back the other way. not worth it..

You have a funny way of looking at things

first you want to tank and you admit the coaches are incompetent

and you value a high pick over all of the players you currently have

then you say you don't want the team to make changes for the better, even though the season is only 1/4 over

If the current team has lost confidence then you want to ensure the entire league knows the Canucks are a joke

then you also seem blind to all of the talent we currently have, 

Jim could be fired tomorrow and at least we couldn't say he left the cupboards bare

As I said above, forcing this team to play 60 more games under Green seem punitive

It is another example of this management blaming the player for their mistakes

the sooner changes are made, the better chance we have of Demko, Hoglander and Podkolzin not wanting out

We might even save Hughes and Pettersson

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I can’t stand the lack of accountability Green has.

He constantly passes the blame onto the players. Like we need these guys to be better, or they need to play this way or that way.

It’s literally his job to get players to buy in and play a certain way. If there are players refusing to play a certain way you go to the GM and you trade them. It’s not complicated.

I get that the players are professionals and should be ready to play, but it’s also his responsibility to make sure they’re properly prepared, which they clearly aren’t.

He also can’t blame results on being a young team, but then completely refuse to take responsibility for his lack of development of those players. This team also isn’t that young anymore, that excuse is wearing pretty thin.

I think what’s happened is Green was able to take them so far as a rookie coach. But now they’re at a new level in their development where they need a coach with a better understanding of the game. Green doesn’t seem to be able to coach last the very basics. Which is why we need a veteran coach.

Bang on. 

1 hour ago, lmm said:

I agree with a new PHO

but you want to show positive change immediately

the new guy does not want Benning making any more trades, so he should be the first guy gone

making the players continue to play under Green seems punitive, why would you want to start your new tenure punishing the players you are trying to grade

If the new Prez has a GM in mind, sign him. Or act as GM until he is available in the off season

there is no use trying to decide who stays and who goes under Green, Green must go the same day as Benning

Give the players a clean slate and grade them from now until seasons end

Completely agree that positive change needs to come sooner rather than later. The challenge in starting with the coach and/or GM before having a PHO in place is that they are then saddled with the replacements. I watch what the Elks just did, what TFC just did... it makes sense. And they didn't wait 8 years to do it. Clean house but make sure there's a plan in place. Don't saddle anyone with underlings... it will prolong the agony.

11 minutes ago, lmm said:

You have a funny way of looking at things

first you want to tank and you admit the coaches are incompetent

and you value a high pick over all of the players you currently have

then you say you don't want the team to make changes for the better, even though the season is only 1/4 over

If the current team has lost confidence then you want to ensure the entire league knows the Canucks are a joke

then you also seem blind to all of the talent we currently have, 

Jim could be fired tomorrow and at least we couldn't say he left the cupboards bare

As I said above, forcing this team to play 60 more games under Green seem punitive

It is another example of this management blaming the player for their mistakes

the sooner changes are made, the better chance we have of Demko, Hoglander and Podkolzin not wanting out

We might even save Hughes and Pettersson

yes i value a high pick over all the player we have. after all good majority of the fan base here are calling EP or Hughes or Boeser or Bo trash every couple post in the GDT PGT so technically we don't even have any talent anyways. the new generation are all over the social media, you don't think they see what the fan base are saying about them or trashing about them? with how toxic the fanbase is towards their player i wonder if some of them are not playing to try to get traded lol