The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

FIRE Jim Benning & Travis Green Thread

Rate this topic

Sanford

The time to make changes was at the end of the first home stand - writing was on the wall there. Anyone with half a brain could see the exact same problems as last seasons, with only a very few papered over.  Completely incompetent management has now lead us to another losing season in all probability. 

Now we're basically screwed - odds of us even making the playoffs are < 10% now and it really will take a herculean effort to turn this around, and with Petterson and Boeser having shown previous they suck for the entire season when they suck. Without those 2 its basically zero - we haven't really hit any impact injuries yet and we still suck. 

May as well just keep the tank commanders at the helm until the off season now. Tank for a better shot at Wright, who will be a key piece for the retool of  the rebuild of the retool :picard: and i absolutely hate tanking - but with Horvat and Miller probably gone next year bringing in an actual franchise center and future captain sure sounds like a good idea - we aint going anywhere without one. 

Another wasted season :sadno:

On 11/13/2021 at 10:29 PM, Sanford said:

If this ownership group won't do anything, then I want to do something as a fan.  I want to make this thread so in the small chance that the owner or someone with any kind of power in the Canuck Ownership group can see that we have had it.

I am tired of this mediocracy, I am tired of wasting 8 years, I am tired of drinking the Benning Kool-Aid.  We are one of the worst run teams in the league.  We have one of the worse losing records in the past 8 years.  There is just no sense of urgency with this team and the culture of mediocracy is allowed to persist.  We can't even play 60 minutes every night.  

FIRE JIM BENNING

FIRE TRAVIS GREEN

Get a new management here and new coach that can bring this team back to that winning culture.  Enough is enough!

Tired of wasting eight years my friend???  Try fifty years!!!  I am thinking Travis is just as sick of this as all of us here.  He will bounce back and be behind another team.  We have an ownership that have more money than GOD!!!  They bought the team as a way to write off bigger things.  They care so much that they seldom if ever attend a game.  That's why they don't want to make changes.  Ownership once said, 'Why spend money on this team because the seats are full and the fans will follow regardless.'  I have heard stories from reputable individuals about upper management.  Benning and the owners need to go!!!

• Upvote 1

Here's some thing I'm having difficulty understanding. Repeatedly complaints about Gillis leaving the cupbpard bare for JB. Well when JB is eventually canned the prospects will be exactly the same. The only difference being, Gillis left after winning the Jim Gregory award ( not much fear of JB getting that!! ) but in addition 2 presidents trophies, numerous division and conference trophies and went to game 7 of the SC. If FA was so quick to pull the trigger and fire Gillis, what's the hang up now and yes the cupboard will be bare of prospects. I suspect Gillis had the kahoolies to to tell FA you're a dud :lol: and you're heading for a disaster, which turned out to be true

Edited by Fred65
  • Huggy Bear 2

47 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Here's some thing I'm having difficulty understanding. Repeatedly complaints about Gillis leaving the cupbpard bare for JB. Well when JB is eventually canned the prospects will be exactly the same. The only difference being, Gillis left after winning the Jim Gregory award ( not much fear of JB getting that!! ) but in addition 2 presidents trophies, numerous division and conference trophies and went to game 7 of the SC. If FA was so quick to pull the trigger and fire Gillis, what's the hang up now and yes the cupboard will be bare of prospects. I suspect Gillis had the kahoolies to to tell FA you're a dud :lol: and you're heading for a disaster, which turned out to be true

The Gillis excuse will always be just that - an excuse.

Just a way for the apologists to delay facing the facts/truth. Forget 2021, it can be 2041 and they'll still be crying "but Gillis!!!111!11!".

All teams eventually age out and contenders tend to have less in the cupboards in terms of youth, prospects and picks because they spend it on trying to win.

I'm not saying Gillis didn't make any bad trades or that his drafting was good, these things definitely didn't help matters when it came to the rebuild.

The ironic part is, Tanev, Edler and Markstrom were some of the main reasons Benning has kept his job as long as he is... all inherited. And that's not including all these assets that were all worth 1st and/or 2nd round picks (or equivalent value in players):

- Kesler

- Bieksa

- Garrison

- Hamhuis

- Higgins

- Horvat

- 6th overall pick

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 2
  • Vintage 1

On 11/30/2021 at 9:33 PM, Toyotasfan said:

Last seasons team covid  outbreak covered up all the same problems we have now, new season but no excuse this time.

oh, idk, there is still time.

Ottawa is fighting covid

we were there

Gaudette was there

the planets are aligning for this seasons excuse

19 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

The Gillis excuse will always be just that - an excuse.

Just a way for the apologists to delay facing the facts/truth. Forget 2021, it can be 2041 and they'll still be crying "but Gillis!!!111!11!".

All teams eventually age out and contenders tend to have less in the cupboards in terms of youth, prospects and picks because they spend it on trying to win.

I'm not saying Gillis didn't make any bad trades or that his drafting was good, these things definitely didn't help matters when it came to the rebuild.

The ironic part is, Tanev, Edler and Markstrom were some of the main reasons Benning has kept his job as long as he is... all inherited. And that's not including all these assets that were all worth 1st and/or 2nd round picks (or equivalent value in players):

- Kesler

- Bieksa

- Garrison

- Hamhuis

- Higgins

- Horvat

- 6th overall pick

What I can never understand is those that run down the most succesful era in the franchises history. We have never had a better era. I used to leave Rogers generally happy. Now those same fans want to praise the current disaster. Seems upside down to me

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I think firing Green would be a fresh start for the locker room. New NHL level coaches would add energy and a fresh perspective to tired minds. 

Especially the PK and PP.

Why hire a coach when the gm is in borrowed time so he gets third coach even though his boss is still paying for his latest blunder resigning this coach. 
FA should tell jim go for it fire the coach but you pay him for the rest of his contract. Since we’ll be paying for your two buyout for another year holtby and Jv. 

I’d be flat out po’d if I was a FA and the guy I hired to lead/build this team has had as many fups as jim. around  600mill in player salary in 8 seasons and next to no success. 
we want the players to be accountable but the gm just gets to use pathetic excuses for poor performance. 

the new GM should hire the coach hes see fit when jim gets canned and at this point it’s inevitable since he went “all in” and was “aggressive” in the summer to be a fringe playoff team at which he once again failed to deliver. 

i just don’t understand why jim has no accountability with some fans. 

when’s enough? The roster isn’t that good, the depth is terrible.  Most Experts predicted we would be a nightmare defensively.
we have one Center that wins faceoffs 

we have no one in the farm pushing for a spot 

those aren’t greens mistakes.  

Green isn’t the right coach for this team he should have been fired already but so should the guy that’s plan was to build a mediocre fringe playoff team and he’s even  failed at that. 
we would be hard pressed to find a gm that couldnt do a better job over the past 8 season. 

Fire green  king baumer but Benning wiesbro should be out the same door. 

• Huggy Bear 1

31 minutes ago, combover said:

Why hire a coach when the gm is in borrowed time so he gets third coach even though his boss is still paying for his latest blunder resigning this coach. 
FA should tell jim go for it fire the coach but you pay him for the rest of his contract. Since we’ll be paying for your two buyout for another year holtby and Jv. 

I’d be flat out po’d if I was a FA and the guy I hired to lead/build this team has had as many fups as jim. around  600mill in player salary in 8 seasons and next to no success. 
we want the players to be accountable but the gm just gets to use pathetic excuses for poor performance. 

the new GM should hire the coach hes see fit when jim gets canned and at this point it’s inevitable since he went “all in” and was “aggressive” in the summer to be a fringe playoff team at which he once again failed to deliver. 

i just don’t understand why jim has no accountability with some fans. 

when’s enough? The roster isn’t that good, the depth is terrible.  Most Experts predicted we would be a nightmare defensively.
we have one Center that wins faceoffs 

we have no one in the farm pushing for a spot 

those aren’t greens mistakes.  

Green isn’t the right coach for this team he should have been fired already but so should the guy that’s plan was to build a mediocre fringe playoff team and he’s even  failed at that. 
we would be hard pressed to find a gm that couldnt do a better job over the past 8 season. 

Fire green  king baumer but Benning wiesbro should be out the same door. 

We can hire from within

Shaw for now

Deal with the upstairs IF that's what AQ

decides, from now till the off season. 

JB would be great for the draft. 

JB couldn't have predicted Hamonic having problems or Petie's terrible slump. 

But I agree JB had a terrible UFA season. We got more bottom feeders on our bottom 6 and no RD for back up. 

I don't think anyone could've foreseen the absolute crap our PK has been. But I blame Green for the horrid PK set ups, formations and sitting back approach. 

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

We can hire from within

Shaw for now

Deal with the upstairs IF that's what AQ

decides, from now till the off season. 

JB would be great for the draft. 

JB couldn't have predicted Hamonic having problems or Petie's terrible slump. 

But I agree JB had a terrible UFA season. We got more bottom feeders on our bottom 6 and no RD for back up. 

I don't think anyone could've foreseen the absolute crap our PK has been. But I blame Green for the horrid PK set ups, formations and sitting back approach. 

I understand when JB arrived from Boston he was promoted as a draft guru. Since his arrival he's had 8 drafts of which two were traded away so that's down to  6 years and 7 picks ( two 1st round in 2014 ) Of those three were Virtanen, McCann,and Juoelvi. So actual picks  that in my eye is 3 flunks and 4 winner. Or 57% success which considering all except 2 were in the top ten is not guru type numbers. Now he did luck out with Demo and Hogelander but they were both second guesses. Where teams make hay is the 1st round ( 66% success ) and 2nd round is 25% success, But that's just me, I expected better from a guru  :) Thank heavans Brackett came in to save JB reputation IMHO

Edited by Fred65
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

17 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

What I can never understand is those that run down the most succesful era in the franchises history. We have never had a better era. I used to leave Rogers generally happy. Now those same fans want to praise the current disaster. Seems upside down to me

this will be a partial explanation/theory at best

Possibly connected to the internet

But many fans seem to believe that Jim has a master plan and that they (the faithful fans) understand it and are in on it.

I have read many time, many ways, (often sarcastically) "Its almost like Jim has a plan, and I understand it"

NOw, increasingly people are questioning whether Jim does actually have a plan, or how good that plan might be

but for those who believed in Jim's plan and stated that they understood and supported that plan, it is a large and difficult step backwards to now admit Jim's plan either did not exist or was flawed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

I understand when JB arrived from Boston he was promoted as a draft guru. Since his arrival he's had 8 drafts of which two were traded away so that's down to  6 years and 7 picks ( two 1st round in 2014 ) Of those three were Virtanen, McCann,and Juoelvi. So actual picks  that in my eye is 3 flunks and 4 winner. Or 57% success which considering all except 2 were in the top ten is not guru type numbers. Now he did luck out with Demo and Hogelander but they were both second guesses. Where teams make hay is the 1st round ( 66% success ) and 2nd round is 25% success, But that's just me, I expected better from a guru  :) Thank heavans Brackett came in to save JB reputation IMHO

I believe he knew like the rest of us that Tchuk and Serg were more NHL ready. Those two had man bodies and were ready to go. It was so obvious. To me anyways. Somebody said draft for need and we gambled on OJ. I knew Tchuk was going to be a beast in front of the net and Sergachev was going to be a strong 6 or 7 Dman to start. 

Jake and McC were meh from the start. McC turned into a serviceable 3rd liner. 

Demko, Hogz and Podz were home runs. 

JT for a first, great. 

Ariona, we unloaded contracts and added Garland and OEL was a win

Our UFA's and the college guys are mostly meh. 

These guys are way better on paper right now; but do have the ability to win 5 in a row if they work hard. 

Then where will we be. We might be chasing for Jan and Feb. 

Edited by Hairy Kneel