The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Anaheim Ducks | Nov. 14, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, Heretic said:

No, my point is not irrelevant - just because I'm not on the "fire Green" bandwagon.

Don't get me wrong, I think he has to go - just for the sake of change.

Don't be so close minded.  

You know you just contradicted yourself in a 3 sentence post. 

If you think he has to go, you are then also on the fire Green bandwagon. 

4 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

He hasn't been a NHL head coach before has he though?  Extensive assistant coach experience to be sure but I think it's time we had somebody with experience already as a head coach at this level.  No more rookie NHL head coaches like Willie or Green.  But I suppose in an interm role..(will be tough to sign a head coach at this point in the season anyhow).

He was an interim head coach for the Islanders way back when for 40 games or so iirc.

Just now, CanucksJay said:

You know you just contradicted yourself in a 3 sentence post. 

If you think he has to go, you are then also on the fire Green bandwagon. 

Again, you are misinterpreting - I am not on the "fire Green" bandwagon.  

He is not the issue - get it?  That's the difference.

• Upvote 1

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

He was an interim head coach for the Islanders way back when for 40 games or so iirc.

I'm OK with the idea of Shaw, just would be concerned about who he can bring in for help. If he just surrounds himself with the same level of "quality" Green has then its just going to get worse. 

But we don't know who he knows, and he might have some great folks on speed dial. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, JM_ said:

I'm OK with the idea of Shaw, just would be concerned about who he can bring in for help. If he just surrounds himself with the same level of "quality" Green has then its just going to get worse. 

But we don't know who he knows, and he might have some great folks on speed dial. 

I think it’s an opportunity to add a few experienced coaches who want an opportunity at a head coaching job.

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Yeah I was thinking of somebody with a fair bit more experience.  But for the interim, I'd be ok with that.  

Just realized Shaw has more NHL games as a head coach than Juolevi has credited NHL games.:ph34r:

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I think Green lost the room during preseason. 

The choices and cuts he made were not on merit and that will be what sunk this team. 

I remember when Tortorella was dealing with a stale Canucks core, here's what he said about Archibald 

Tortorella liked Archibald quite a bit, saying, “I want him to take someone's job. There's really something there.”

Torts saw the writing on the wall and knew team needed spark, toughness etc. He was literally rooting for the underdog to go take a vets job. 

Counter that with Green's preseason decisions. 

Lockwood hit everything in sight. Juolevi was solid on the PK, Gadj scored 2 pts in 2 games with very limited time. 

Green went with Chiasson, Petan, Di Giuseppe, Lammikko, Rathbone, Burroughs and Schenn. 

There is nothing more demotivating than a coach who doesn't even look at the on ice performance when assembling his team. 

There really was no point in having preseason this year. 

We were terrible last year. 

Green needed to have come in and state this is a new year, clean slate and ppl will win or lose jobs based on performance and evaluated it that way. 

Anyone that is defending Green needs to give their heads a shake. 

I agree with you 100%. It was shocking how little he played them and gave up on them so quickly, choosing to go with vets with no upside/growth and who had not proven themselves. The time to play them was when we were out of the playoffs and the season was already lost last year and see what we had. I blame the coach equally for the construction of the team. JB would not sign players without input from the coach. 

I think that this season is lost unless some changes are made in coaching and management. Very difficult to catch up with the parity in the league and extra points. The sad part is we have nothing in the pipeline and best hope is a high draft pick for next year, if we don’t again trade it away.

8 hours ago, spook007 said:

The culture should always be reflected by the person at the helm...

He/She outlines the direction, which the organisation should take to obtain its targets. 

Thats my point, that is why Aquaman is ultimately the one who is responsible cause it is he who assembled the leadership of the team.  Imo: he one bright side to the disastrous start to this season, is that, everyone from JB to players are all getting re evaluated and will Aquaman have the conviction to follow through (?).

• Cheers 1

Just now, ShawnAntoski said:

Thats my point, that is why Aquaman is ultimately the one who is responsible cause it is he who assembled the leadership of the team.  Imo: he one bright side to the disastrous start to this season, is that, everyone from JB to players are all getting re evaluated and will Aquaman have the conviction to follow through (?).

No

14 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

That looks like how the Canucks defense plays. I mean Benning made all these changes in off season and we still end up with Maddison Bowey and Hunt on 3rd pairing? Thats like the 3rd pairing on an AHL team.

Right on....and the guy with a lot of NHL experience,  2 Stanley Cup rings and who's played pretty well (even in Greens estimation) in the few games he's dressed sits in the press box. I just don't get it!

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

Have to say that my first issue is with Green, and it has really been an ongoing issue over the last few years. For some reason, he doesn't seem to think a team needs 'muscles' on it... which I find astonishing from a former NHL player... I am well aware that muscles doesn't stop folk taking liberties, but it sure as hell reduces the amount handed out. 
I'm not taling about 1 playee, but fair few, who can throw em on top of normal team heaviness... I will not have been the slightest surprised if EP has had enough of dighting his own battles against folkes 40-80 lbs bigger than him. 
There were a few players in squad able to support this, but they got dumped for has beens and that's on Green. 
I don't what this has to do with Benning being a 'cheap coward', unless you are refering to his Dahlen dealings or LE dealings. 
I think Benning has been super fair with EP so far. 
But I haven't got a clue... I just know, that I'm at breaking point, and if this is how I feel, only god knows, how the players feel at this moment in time. 
I have my doubt they can turn it around, as there is nothing new coming to help them... and maybe a new voice will give them some belief or motivate them. 
I'm concerned about a new GM, cause I fear we will see a flurry of transactions, and selling at low value has never been clever business wise... and atm the value for our players are at an all time low. 

If Dahlen told Petey that the Canucks wanted to get rid of him and then Benning goes out and smash Dahlen in public.

How do you think Petey’s feelings is in that situation? Petey knows his boss is an äss and has to deal with him as polite as he can because Benning holds parts of Peteys future in his hands.

Not good for the athlete that has to focus 110% on hockey.

His muscles don’t need the stress involved in this situation.

And that is just the Dahlen issue.

Then you have Stecher, Tanev, Toffoli, Tryamkin, Gadjovic, Juoveli, MacEvan and probably a few more players I forgot. 
All the small issues takes a piece out of the players motivation especially if it’s a rough period. 
So the only good thing to do is to get rid of the old baggage and start iver with a new GM with no begative baggage lurking in the background.