The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Chicago Blackhawks at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 21, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Are they really trying to convince us they didn’t go all in this season?

I feel like we’re back at the beginning of the “rebuild” again and they have all the patience in the world…

Just got to trust the process right? This is a

young team that has to learn how to win and all that.

The lack of urgency is astounding. Their window (if they end up having one) is smaller than they think. Players are already talking about wanting out if the team can’t become competitive.

You’re gonna waste the best years of core guys like Horvat and Miller. The time to do something is now. And if you don’t think you have the right pieces start making some trades quickly to keep that window open.

It's definitely feeling that way, it feels as if we might have to retool sooner than later as opposed to actually competing. We don't have too many prospects pushing to join the club anymore, our prospect pool isn't all that strong given how top prospects have been graduating (but only exclusively top prospects), and the players we looked at as young stars are getting their money contracts despite the team's lack of success. It's like we're stuck in hockey purgatory. 

Players will want out. Miller and Horvat will be UFA's pretty soon, you think Miller's going to stay? I don't. Horvat? Probably better odds, but no guarantee if next season is just more of the same. 

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

They were shut out in the Vegas series 3 times. They scored a total of 14 goals in a 7 game series. Even the game they shut out Vegas Demko stopped 49 shots iirc.

Look at the scoring in that series again too. It wasn’t 4 lines scoring for Vancouver. It was basically 2 lines doing the lions share. They were outclassed by Vegas in every metric. That series was over in 5 if not for Demko and Demko alone.

Yes for sure. That's playoff hockey. 

Guess what? Probably every team that won a cup can say wow if it wasn't for our goalie we wouldn't be here. 

Yes goalies need to freakishly steal a series here and there. 

This is nothing new. Last time Montreal won a cup Roy stole ever series.  

My bad thought we had depth scoring throughout the "playoffs". 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Vancan2021 said:

Yes for sure. That's playoff hockey. 

Guess what? Probably every team that won a cup can say wow if it wasn't for our goalie we wouldn't be here. 

Yes goalies need to freakishly steal a series here and there. 

This is nothing new. Last time Montreal won a cup Roy stole ever series.  

My bad thought we had depth scoring throughout the "playoffs". 

Not very many goalies can win 16 games in the fashion Demko did. 

Goalies steal games in the playoffs for sure. But relying on them to steal you EVERY game you win, regular season or playoffs, is a bit unrealistic to expect.

5 hours ago, canuckpuckluck1 said:

This is what truly concerns me now...so were Petey and Boeser just 2 years ago. Its like all the good stuff gets coached out of the Canucks players. Maybe I am just jaded from all the losing but it just feels like a natural regression for all Canucks prospects.

Yeah think we are all concerned, why they have had such a slow start to the season. 
And we are all jaded from losing... trust me, you are not alone. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

It's definitely feeling that way, it feels as if we might have to retool sooner than later as opposed to actually competing. We don't have too many prospects pushing to join the club anymore, our prospect pool isn't all that strong given how top prospects have been graduating (but only exclusively top prospects), and the players we looked at as young stars are getting their money contracts despite the team's lack of success. It's like we're stuck in hockey purgatory. 

Players will want out. Miller and Horvat will be UFA's pretty soon, you think Miller's going to stay? I don't. Horvat? Probably better odds, but no guarantee if next season is just more of the same. 

Yea Bennings lack of success in later rounds is actually killing us.

It looked like he was able to find so many gems there with the likes of Forsling, Tryamkin, Rathbone, Madden, and Gaudette. Yet nothing to show for any of those players. Add to that the double miss of Lind and Gadjovich and our depth is really hurting.

Now we continue to have to go out and overpay for average depth players like Dickinson and Pearson.

Edited by DeNiro

4 hours ago, aznmonk said:

Man I think Boeser has a wrist injury and never recovered just like Petterson. Could of been 1-1 going into overtime if he did not hit that post

Great observation.  Boeser has never been the same since the Clutterbuck hit in 2018 and EP40 has never been the same since his injury last year.  Starting to wonder if they are permanently "Damaged goods" ????

25 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yea Bennings lack of success in later rounds is actually killing us.

It looked like he was able to find so many gems there with the likes of Forsling, Tryamkin, Rathbone, Madden, and Gaudette. Yet nothing to show for any of those players. Add to that the double miss of Lind and Gadjovich and our depth is really hurting.

Now we continue to have to go out and overpay for average depth players like Dickinson and Pearson.

It's worth mentioning that green either benched some of those rookie players, never gave them a chance or ruined them like he has done to so many others.    The list is too long to mention here but you know what/who I'm talking about.  green has never given most of our rookies a fair chance as he's always under pressure to win to save his a$$, so he will deny most rookies a chance to get experience and play regular vets in the hope of eeking out a win so he's not fired.  But those days are over and he will soon be gone.  Good Ridence!

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

yeah, that's my worry as well. 

I think Miller most likely doesn't stay. I think he probably prefers to be in the US. Maybe he goes back to NY? Or Tampa Bay?

I think Horvat depends. If next season is much of the same as this season, then I think he'll want to be traded to a contender, or he rides out the season and goes straight to free agency where he can determine where he wants to go. It's sad that the state of the franchise has come to this point. if we win the draft lottery, everything changes. Unless of course Wright is a bust. 

But this season, it looks like the chances of making the playoffs is slim to none. What are the crowds going to look like moving forward? Who knows. But I can't imagine it looks better unless the team goes on a huge winning streak. 

12 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

It's worth mentioning that green either benched some of those rookie players, never gave them a chance or ruined them like he has done to so many others.    The list is too long to mention here but you know what/who I'm talking about.  green has never given most of our rookies a fair chance as he's always under pressure to win to save his a$$, so he will deny most rookies a chance to get experience and play regular vets in the hope of eeking out a win so he's not fired.  But those days are over and he will soon be gone.  Good Ridence!

Let's hope Green is gone soon. Although with that being said, Green has "Developed" Podkolzin to date, pretty well, no? 

16 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Great observation.  Boeser has never been the same since the Clutterbuck hit in 2018 and EP40 has never been the same since his injury last year.  Starting to wonder if they are permanently "Damaged goods" ????

it's a fair question. 

Their lack of performance makes you think that somethng about their bodies ain't right. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

relying on them to steal you EVERY game you win, regular season or playoffs, is a bit unrealistic to expect.

This is Green's system. 

"Alright guys. Just go out there, dump and chase, dump and chase, dump and - well - you get the point right? And then just leave Demmers out to dry and let him save, you know, everything." 

Sighing Sigh GIF

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Still can save the season with a coaching change…

Looking at Boudreau’s winning % he has averaged over .600 throughout his career. He has the highest winning percentage of any coach available.

Apply that to 60 games remaining (assuming Green loses the next 3) and that’s likely enough to make it.

Sit there and do nothing and we’re a lotto team (maybe that’s what they really want)

winning % over 0.600 throughout his career - really?

grafik.thumb.png.4b3f1f4662660323b0ed2560ed056b27.png

4 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Let's hope Green is gone soon. Although with that being said, Green has "Developed" Podkolzin to date, pretty well, no? 

I guess you are being sarcastic but Podkolzin came developed.

Green tried to keep Podzilla chained but Podzilla's too powerful, he broke free.

• Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Yeah think we are all concerned, why they have had such a slow start to the season. 
And we are all jaded from losing... trust me, you are not alone. 

none of us are alone. It's why we're on these boards. This team has us all concerned. 

something has to be in the works. I mean, for management, and ownership and coaches to do nothing different, but the same stuff over and over again, well, we all know that's the definition of insanity. 

When is their next game by the way? 

Cause I ain't watching 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, khay said:

I guess you are being sarcastic but Podkolzin came developed.

Green tried to keep Podzilla chained but Podzilla's too powerful, he broke free.

What do you mean Podkolzin came developed? 

4 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

it's a fair question. 

Their lack of performance makes you think that somethng about their bodies ain't right. 

Pettersson isn't going to high danger areas like he used to. Sometimes, you'd see him just getting garbage goals but not this season. 

Now, he's just a perimeter player.

The reason why I think there is some issue with coaching is that it feels like everyone has become a perimeter player except Hog, Podz, and Garland.

Like even Horvat is a perimeter player now.

Sometimes, I see Pearson-Horvat and I swear I see two Pearsons. 

Maybe the new system requires centers to play a bit more conservative? 

Maybe it's not Green, it's all of them. Maybe it's Shaw who wants the team to play a certain structure?  Just something is off. They have a system that generates shots 5-on-5 but most are shots from the perimeter with very little net front presence and wingers aren't getting to the net. Yes, we have some guys that can score from the perimeter but most NHL goalies are going to stop what they see and when you run into a hot one like Fleury tonight, you aren't getting one past him unless it's a garbage goal. These games remind me a bit of game 7 SCF 2011. We generated lots of perimeter shots but not many from the high danger areas.

Anyhow, after that JB press conference, I've come to accept that they are not going to make much of a change this season and I'm just going to enjoy watching the games without thinking about the playoffs. If we somehow fix the problems and go on a winning streak and get to the playoffs, well great. If not, at least it's still fun to tune in to watch Podz, Hog, Garland, OEL, Demko, and so on. 

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

What do you mean Podkolzin came developed? 

He spent two years in the professional league, KHL? You might have heard about it? Second best league in the world.

Green didn't teach hockey IQ, how to read plays, physicality, defensive positioning, passing in just two months.

Few things here and there yes, but Podz came ready to play like Hoglander last season.

• Vintage 3