The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

6 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Yes. Easily.

Yes, I agree. But isn't one of the big selling points those apposed to trading Miller is what kind of message it would send to the team? It would be a far worse message of we were knocking on the playoffs door next year and still had to trade him.

4 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Yes, I agree. But isn't one of the big selling points those apposed to trading Miller is what kind of message it would send to the team? It would be a far worse message of we were knocking on the playoffs door next year and still had to trade him.

It would be a terrible message. You'd have to manage that by having those conversations with Bo before hand.

On the other hand how stupid can the group be? The team has been bad for a long time. At some point something will give.

In reality JR won't let it get there. Shake up coming soon.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Provost said:

If you don't care about what the return is AND if he doesn't get hurt AND if he doesn't take a step back from his current career year.

Too many variables at play to let this run its course until next deadline.  Even if none of the really bad things happen...the price for a two month rental is a fraction of what it would be for a club controlled player for two playoff runs and a year and a half of regular season games.

We currently have the leverage as we don't "need" to trade him right now and could wait until the off season.  That is where you want to be in negotiations, not the Benning method of messing around and then getting a lousy offer for a guy like Hamhuis with minutes to space for him having any value as an asset to the team.

There is no time that Miller will be more valuable than between now and the trade deadline.  If we don't get the right offer, we have the luxury of waiting until the offseason where there may be some more potential suitors, but less term left that they are buying.

So to summarize I think you are suggesting you trade from a power position?

Unfortunately something rarely done.

46 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

It would be a terrible message. You'd have to manage that by having those conversations with Bo before hand.

On the other hand how stupid can the group be? The team has been bad for a long time. At some point something will give.

In reality JR won't let it get there. Shake up coming soon.

Completely agree. And I'm in for it.

8 hours ago, Fanuck said:

I believe I have completely realistic expectations.

For example, with the Rangers, there are people expecting a return consisting of Schneider/Lafrenier/1st rd pick.  Others are saying Schneider/Chytil or Kakko/1st rd pick.  I see these as ridiculous.  Maybe if you're Allvin you ask for that, but you don't realistically expect that in my view. 

Personally, if the Rangers are the team Allvin deals with, I would be fine with a return of Schneider/2nd.

I'd be willing to accept an otherwise less than stellar return if it included Schneider too. I still think any Rangers deal includes Chytil as well, but yeah, Chytil, Schneider and a 2nd...sign me up (though fingers crossed for more).

5 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Schneider is absolutely the ''profile'' of a D we want. Big RHD who can shoot, clear a crease. That said, he might not even be NYR's best RHD prospect...

https://dobberprospects.com/player/braden-schneider/

https://dobberprospects.com/player/nils-lundkvist/

Lundkvist may also fit There it is Bruce's style?

Yeah 'best' is certainly subjective there. But Schneider is definitely our 'best fit', agreed. 

That said, if he's a complete non-starter for the Rags, I'd be ok with a package of Chytil, Lundkvist and two of Robertson/Othmann/Barron instead

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, Shayster007 said:

Wait.

Did you just suggest trading Miller during this year’s trade deadline instead of next year’s trade deadline because the message to the players would be more desolating than this year?

Your logic applied to evolution would be perfectly terrible. We would not survive.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Wait.

Did you just suggest trading Miller during this year’s trade deadline instead of next year’s trade deadline because the message to the players would be more desolating than this year?

Your logic applied to evolution would be perfectly terrible. We would not survive.

I know you have read this entire thread, so I'm sure you know the context I was referring to in this post..

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

I'd be willing to accept an otherwise less than stellar return if it included Schneider too. I still think any Rangers deal includes Chytil as well, but yeah, Chytil, Schneider and a 2nd...sign me up (though fingers crossed for more).

Yeah 'best' is certainly subjective there. But Schneider is definitely our 'best fit', agreed. 

That said, if he's a complete non-starter for the Rags, I'd be ok with a package of Chytil, Lundkvist and two of Robertson/Othmann/Barron instead

I entirely agree with your post.

I’ve been surprised how much Lundkvist has been flying under the radar here. Possibly it’s because he doesn’t have Schneider’s size. But I would be thrilled if the package for Miller included either one of these RHD. We desperately need to insert more talent on our back end and IMO that’s precisely what we should target with any Miller trade. 

With Lundkvist being Swedish, I wonder if Allvin (or the Sedins, or Gradin) might have a little extra insight into him. 

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

If we can't get a package of Laf,Schnieder & 1st for Miller. I would definitely welcome a deal of Kravstov, Schneider, Othman and a 2nd for Miller, Schenn 

• Vintage 1

12 hours ago, RWJC said:

Miller + Boner

for 

Lafreniere + Schneider 

If I'm the Nux I assume a lot of risk.

But this is likely what a deal could cost us if we got a bargain from NYR.

They have the wealth of youth options we're coveting and are likely best team to deal with.

Whatever the case if JT does indeed go there I hope his return alone can stabilize this team for years because he is a leader and will be very hard to replace.  

This is what I want. If we going to trade Miller do it for both Laf and Schneider. Go all out. Even if we have to add pieces on our end. Otherwise I’m not really interested in moving Miller there. Miller alone is definitely not getting you that, but adding a few pieces will make it interesting.

With limited minutes and no PP time? Correct me if I’m wrong there.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, KKnight said:

If we can't get a package of Laf,Schnieder & 1st for Miller. I would definitely welcome a deal of Kravstov, Schneider, Othman and a 2nd for Miller, Schenn 

Agreed!  I want Laf first, mainly because of how highly-touted he was for several years before his draft, and hoping he can still live up to that potential.  But Othman is actually looking like he could be a more dominant NHLer than Laf, and I would be happy to take him if Laf is off the table.  I would would really want the Rangers to add Barron to any trade that we make with them though, as he could be an ideal 3rd line C for years to come, and we really need another C if we trade Miller (because there's absolutely no C of value in our prospect pipeline).

Let's face it, the Canucks are not making the playoffs this year. They aren't good enough, and can't seem to string 2-3 wins together. They would need to go on a major run, but that seems improbable.

What do they do at the TDL? I'm now hoping they trade some players for prospects, picks and young players. Give Rathbone, Lockwood and Martin a shot. 

I'd like the 2022 Draft to be one for the ages for Canucks fans. More than one 1st Rounder, recoup the 2nd, maybe add another. Maybe even secure picks for 2023. 

Build around Horvat, Pettersson, Hughes and Demko.  If they decide to keep Miller, then trade Horvat instead.  All 3 Cs will be too expensive in a couple of years.

Keep the good (inexpensive) support players like Garland, Podkolzin, Highmore, Lammikko, Schenn, Burroughs and Juulsen.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3