The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

Saw an old rumour out there, that's popped up again -  Miller to COL for (RD) Bowen Byram and (LD) Justin Barron

Byram, unfortunately, has had some head injury issues and would be a big risk, but if he was able to deal with that, he would be a force. Barron as well, would be a great young addition to the D.

Not sure if COL has the cap space for this though. 

15 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Saw an old rumour out there, that's popped up again -  Miller to COL for (RD) Bowen Byram and (LD) Justin Barron

Byram, unfortunately, has had some head injury issues and would be a big risk, but if he was able to deal with that, he would be a force. Barron as well, would be a great young addition to the D.

Not sure if COL has the cap space for this though. 

Really would want to stay away from Byram unless he's in a Boeser trade.  We could afford to gamble a bit more with Boeser... but for Miller, we need impact young players.  A handful of unproven prospects could actually turn into nothing and we'd be screwed.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Really would want to stay away from Byram unless he's in a Boeser trade.  We could afford to gamble a bit more with Boeser... but for Miller, we need impact young players.  A handful of unproven prospects could actually turn into nothing and we'd be screwed.

Tough one there, Byram could be the next Doughty or a total bust....would have to do very thorough due diligence (medical reports) before a deal including Byram, but if that kid makes a full recovery you could have a  perennial all-star, if he's plagued by this injury you could have another Juulsen. 

13 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Tough one there, Byram could be the next Doughty or a total bust....would have to do very thorough due diligence (medical reports) before a deal including Byram, but if that kid makes a full recovery you could have a  perennial all-star, if he's plagued by this injury you could have another Juulsen. 

Hence the big gamble.  We can't afford to do that if it's Miller going the other way.

52 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I'd say it is a big red flag if Colorado suddenly starts listening or including him into conversations.

Not only Juulsen but we have seen a similar unfortunate trajectory first hand with Juolevi.  Any type of recurring injury at such young age should be a major deterrent to a trade, especially one involving our best trade chip in Miller.

• Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, T.Demko said:

I'd say it is a big red flag if Colorado suddenly starts listening or including him into conversations.

Not only Juulsen but we have seen a similar unfortunate trajectory first hand with Juolevi.  Any type of recurring injury at such young age should be a major deterrent to a trade, especially one involving our best trade chip in Miller.

I wouldn’t necessarily take that as a ‘big’ red flag. Colorado is at the top of the league in their best window to win a cup. They’ll be losing Kadri next year and soon will have to pay MacKinnon double than what he’s at now. This will be their best year to win a cup and their best non roster asset is Byram. If they wanted to add something significant without taking away from their roster Byram is the piece. I said it awhile back Byram+ for JT Miller would be great if we feel okay about the concussions. Byram>>>Schnieder I don’t even care that Byram is left handed.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, T.Demko said:

If that's the way Allvin goes, and I'm not saying he is, there are ways to mitigate the risk somewhat.  A pick could be included that would be contingent on how many games Byram plays the following season - and there could also be picks contingent on the performance of Miller or how any team that acquires him does in the PO. 

But yeah, there's not doubt there'd be a high level of risk/reward with a trade like that. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

I wouldn’t necessarily take that as a ‘big’ red flag. Colorado is at the top of the league in their best window to win a cup. They’ll be losing Kadri next year and soon will have to pay MacKinnon double than what he’s at now. This will be their best year to win a cup and their best non roster asset is Byram. If they wanted to add something significant without taking away from their roster Byram is the piece. I said it awhile back Byram+ for JT Miller would be great if we feel okay about the concussions. Byram>>>Schnieder I don’t even care that Byram is left handed.

I meant if they are suddenly bringing Byram into the trade conversation, when they were not before... just speculation as we dont know what really happened before, but just saying they might have more insigh on his health issues and we should really do our due diligence before proceeding with any negotiations regarding Byram.

10 minutes ago, T.Demko said:

I meant if they are suddenly bringing Byram into the trade conversation, when they were not before... just speculation as we dont know what really happened before, but just saying they might have more insigh on his health issues and we should really do our due diligence before proceeding with any negotiations regarding Byram.

Agreed. At this moment in time there is little risk in terms of the Avs retaining Byram and seeing how things play out with him in the shirt to mid term future.

Unfortunately the major risk is assumed by another team in terms of what you’d have to give up to obtain him. Man, I feel bad for him and hope for the best because he does have the makings of a stud Dman. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, T.Demko said:

For 1.5 years of JT Miller I’d be asking for one of Newhook or Byram in a package. Colorado has to be all in this season! Like I said they’ll never be able to add this much talent into the cap structure world again for a long time. Maybe before the Canucks were looking for a roster player that had to be Millers replacement being Newhook. Colorado probably didn’t like the idea of losing their 3rd line center and a cheap contract going forward. I know Byram is also a cheap contract going forward but he’s not part of their all in plans for this year. A JT Miller (best guy on the market) addition could set them over the top!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, flickyoursedin said:

For 1.5 years of JT Miller I’d be asking for one of Newhook or and Byram in a package. Colorado has to be all in this season! Like I said they’ll never be able to add this much talent into the cap structure world again for a long time. Maybe before the Canucks were looking for a roster player that had to be Millers replacement being Newhook. Colorado probably didn’t like the idea of losing their 3rd line center and a cheap contract going forward. I know Byram is also a cheap contract going forward but he’s not part of their all in plans for this year. A JT Miller (best guy on the market) addition could set them over the top!

Fixed.

Newhook, Byram, 1st :)

5 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I guess I’m from the old school. You build from the tender out. Check on Demko. The d-side i# Van’s biggest problem. Hugy is the keeper and the rest can be moved. Sending Miller out to get a major piece to help Hugy is what it likely takes. Top that with some additional pieces. Has to happen.

Is D really our biggest problem though? How do we have the least goals against 5v5?

I say our main problem was PK. Had we been even averaage on the PK (not dead last), we probably would have won 5 more games and been comfortably in a playoff spot. Who knows TG might even still be here.

Yes Demko has covered a lot of errors on the back end but we are tops in the league in 5 v 5 GA.

So let's say we improve our D.  Let's say Demko doesnt have to bail us out.  Where does that leave us? tops in the league still???

I'd 100% take a flyer on Byram. I fully recognize the significance of head injuries (part of my job is treating athletes with head and upper spine injuries) but Byram is young and talented enough to take a risk on. Obviously due diligence would need to be done to see where his heads at (no pun intended), but a motivated athlete is a very powerful thing. He would completely change the look of our back end. Could you imagine Hughes and Byram both eating up 20-25 minutes a night for the next 10 years? Yes please.

22 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

I'd 100% take a flyer on Byram. I fully recognize the significance of head injuries (part of my job is treating athletes with head and upper spine injuries) but Byram is young and talented enough to take a risk on. Obviously due diligence would need to be done to see where his heads at (no pun intended), but a motivated athlete is a very powerful thing. He would completely change the look of our back end. Could you imagine Hughes and Byram both eating up 20-25 minutes a night for the next 10 years? Yes please.

Everyone thought Crosby’s career was over 10 years back and look at him now. Won a couple cups since then.

Concussions are tough but this guy is young and could still turn it around here. A risk for sure but isn’t every young player or prospect we’d be acquiring?Schneider is definitely not a sure thing either.

Big risk but even bigger reward. Be nice if there was another key piece there though. Like a Newhook or a Jost and/or a 1st.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Everyone thought Crosby’s career was over 10 years back and look at him now. Won a couple cups since then.

Concussions are tough but this guy is young and could still turn it around here. A risk for sure but isn’t every young player or prospect we’d be acquiring?Schneider is definitely not a sure thing either.

Big risk but even bigger reward. Be nice if there was another key piece there though. Like a Newhook or a Jost and/or a 1st.

HUGE risk though... I just wouldn't want to gamble with Miller's value.  Like you said though, if Newhook and a 1st are also included, then that would make more sense to me.  If Byram is the centrepiece in the package, and he turns into a Ferland situation, it would set us back years.

33 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Everyone thought Ferland was OK too, Lindros figured it was just a bump on the head. Every case is different.

1 minute ago, coryberg said:

Everyone thought Ferland was OK too, Lindros figured it was just a bump on the head. Every case is different.

Yep which is why every player should be assessed differently.

Saying he has no value or is too risky to trade for isn’t accurate without doing all their due diligence.

If he rebounds and becomes the player everyone thinks he can be that would be a very lopsided trade in our favour. 

• Vintage 1

38 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Sure.  However it is mitigating that risk factor as much as possible when trading from a position with the proven commodity.

We should inquire and have a complete visibility of Byram's medical record, and also ensure we are getting the concussion risk discount on his price.  

We could take a chance on Byram, but for Miller, they can't use Byram as the centerpiece alone.  They would at least need to add equal value, even if that means a lesser pick is coming back to us, or we're adding on our end.

• Upvote 1