The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

4 minutes ago, JM_ said:

at least Marino makes compete sense as a "now" piece. It might even let us move Myers. 

If we somehow get Marino (or similar) this summer and sign Lyubushkin after moving out Myers, I'll be positively giddy.

4CRL.gif

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, JM_ said:

they are going to have to give up something more than Chytil and Lundkvist tho. We can probably get equal value at that level from a lot of teams. 

I absolutely agree, I would be willing to take one of the 2 on if I could land a player I really want as the other player. If it’s Lundqvist then I ask for Kakko and a 1st or Kravstov and a 1st and 2nd. If it’s Chytil then I need Schneider in that package with a first

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Honestly, I'd prefer that Marino, Blomqvist, Poulin and 1st theoretical package from PIT.

I don't mind either Chytil or Lundkvist as "parts" but we can do better if they're supposed to be NYR's main pieces.

Yeah, NYR would need to be giving up more

I still like LA as a trade partner 

4 minutes ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

I absolutely agree, I would be willing to take one of the 2 on if I could land a player I really want as the other player. If it’s Lundqvist then I ask for Kakko and a 1st or Kravstov and a 1st and 2nd. If it’s Chytil then I need Schneider in that package with a first

I'd love to land Kakko, I think we could get more out of him

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I agree, he’s still so young and he plays the game the right way. He’s actually really solid all over the ice it’s just his production that hasn’t come yet but at 21 I think he’s a worthy piece in a potential Miller trade. I agree with you, LA sure has some nice pieces they could potentially offer up

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The deal they signed in 2009 wasn’t really team friendly. It was a bit less than what Iginla, Datsyuk and Backstrom were making, who were all superior players at the time they signed.  Datsyuk was coming off a 97 point season.  Their 2009 deals came before Henrik won his major trophies so they were 80 point players at that time. 

Crosby was making $8.7 million. So $6.1 million for 2 guys in the top 20 in scoring wasn’t really team friendly. Also, you had to sign them together. So any team that wanted them would have had to have the cap space for both. 

Good thing they didn’t make the top 25 in salary, that year then.

Players were still making 10m, 9m, and 8m. Gaborik, who was a FA in the same year, signed for 7.5m.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

I agree, he’s still so young and he plays the game the right way. He’s actually really solid all over the ice it’s just his production that hasn’t come yet but at 21 I think he’s a worthy piece in a potential Miller trade. I agree with you, LA sure has some nice pieces they could potentially offer up

And he's got size to boot, that kind of blend or size and pedigree is worth taking a chance on. He'd be a cost controlled RFA asset too.

LA's got some great D prospects, would love to land Clarke.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

And he's got size to boot, that kind of blend or size and pedigree is worth taking a chance on. He'd be a cost controlled RFA asset too.

LA's got some great D prospects, would love to land Clarke.

Clarke would be phenomenal to add but I don’t think they move him, Faber or Grans would be a great consolation get if you can’t get Clarke though 

1 minute ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

Clarke would be phenomenal to add but I don’t think they move him, Faber or Grans would be a great consolation get if you can’t get Clarke though 

Def, they've got some great RD prospects 

Some interesting forwards too

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Absolutely. I don't think we're getting Clarke, but I'd definitely have interest in Grans. I'd prefer to send him out of division/conference though if the offers are roughly equal though.

43 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Good thing they didn’t make the top 25 in salary, that year then.

Players were still making 10m, 9m, and 8m. Gaborik, who was a FA in the same year, signed for 7.5m.

Only 4 players in the NHL were making an AAV of over $8 million in 2010. Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin and Eric Staal. Staal was only 25 when he signed his long term deal, had a 100 point season and captained his team to a Stanley  Cup. 

Pavel Datsyuk was making an AAV of $6.7 million in 2010 and signed his deal at age 29 after coming off two 87 point seasons. 

The Sedins had an AAV of $6.1 million. Why would the Sedins need to be getting paid more than Pavel Datsyuk?

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Absolutely. I don't think we're getting Clarke, but I'd definitely have interest in Grans. I'd prefer to send him out of division/conference though if the offers are roughly equal though.

Depends on what's been offered by who for sure 

3 hours ago, Me_ said:

KUZMENKO - MALKIN - PODKOLZIN

STOP

I’d be down for that.

Kuzmenko    Malkin          Podkolzin 

Kane             Pettersson   Boeser 

Pearson        Horvat          Garland 

Deslauriers   Lammikko    Highmore 

Hughes      Manson 

OEL            Marino 

Rathbone   Schenn 

Demko    Martin  

The cap numbers could work too. Is it possible to sign 5 UFA’s in one summer?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Only 4 players in the NHL were making an AAV of over $8 million in 2010. Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin and Eric Staal. Staal was only 25 when he signed his long term deal, had a 100 point season and captained his team to a Stanley  Cup. 

Pavel Datsyuk was making an AAV of $6.7 million in 2010 and signed his deal at age 29 after coming off two 87 point seasons. 

The Sedins had an AAV of $6.1 million. Why would the Sedins need to be getting paid more than Pavel Datsyuk?

Not according to this:

https://www.hockeyzoneplus.com/top-25/top-25-2009-2010

The Sedins were almost scoring at PPG rate and only signed a 5 year deal, when superstars at that time, were looking at 10+ years in term on their deals. Gillis even said that the Sedins could have made a lot more if they went into FA, but felt the team were on the brink of something special. So, they took a team friendly deal, in order to further improve the team.

6.1m would be equivalent to 7.9m in today’s salary. I’d say, 7.9m for a 80+ player is a pretty team friendly deal

Edited by shiznak

40 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Not according to this:

https://www.hockeyzoneplus.com/top-25/top-25-2009-2010

The Sedins were almost scoring at PPG rate and only signed a 5 year deal, when superstars at that time, were looking at 10+ years in term on their deals. Gillis even said that the Sedins could have made a lot more if they went into FA, but felt the team were on the brink of something special. So, they took a team friendly deal, in order to further improve the team.

6.1m would be equivalent to 7.9m in today’s salary. I’d say, 7.9m for a 80+ player is a pretty team friendly deal

Those are salaries that are listed not AAV.  Lots of players get higher salaries at the beginning of their contracts and then they drop, aka Luongo, in order to get the AAV down.

Here is the actual AAV for the top 100 players in 2009-2010:

NHL Player Salaries | Top 100 Salary Cap Hits for Next Season and their 2009-10 Stat Rank (nhlrumors.com)

Perhaps they could have gotten a few hundred grand more, but they certainly were not going to get anywhere near Ovechkin, Crosby and Malkin money.

Also, the Sedins were a pair, they would have had to sign deals with the same team.  Under your scenario, if they were to get $7.5 million each, that's $15 million in cap space that a team would have needed in order to sign both of them.  The salary cap in 2009-2010 was just under $57 million.  What team would have had $15 million in cap space to sign both of them?

As you said, their salaries would be almost $8 million in today's dollars.  So what team TODAY would be able to sign UFA Sedins to a total of $16 million?  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Those are salaries that are listed not AAV.  Lots of players get higher salaries at the beginning of their contracts and then they drop, aka Luongo, in order to get the AAV down.

Here is the actual AAV for the top 100 players in 2009-2010:

NHL Player Salaries | Top 100 Salary Cap Hits for Next Season and their 2009-10 Stat Rank (nhlrumors.com)

Perhaps they could have gotten a few hundred grand more, but they certainly were not going to get anywhere near Ovechkin, Crosby and Malkin money.

Also, the Sedins were a pair, they would have had to sign deals with the same team.  Under your scenario, if they were to get $7.5 million each, that's $15 million in cap space that a team would have needed in order to sign both of them.  The salary cap in 2009-2010 was just under $57 million.  What team would have had $15 million in cap space to sign both of them?

As you said, their salaries would be almost $8 million in today's dollars.  So what team TODAY would be able to sign UFA Sedins to a total of $16 million?  

They still didn’t make it into the top 25 in AAV caphit (BTW: That list if from the 2010-2011 season. The Sedins signed their deal in 2009-2010.) A few hundred grand more? Gaborik got 1.4m more than the Sedins, while not even playing a half of a season. 

There were a few teams interested in them in 2009, Mainly, the Habs and the Leafs.

The only teams that would be impossible to fit the Sedins under today cap world are: Toronto, San Jose, Minnesota, Colorado, New York, Florida, and Edmonton.

One cap dump/trade/letting someone walk and almost every team would be able to fit the Sedin at 7.8m each.

Edited by shiznak

6 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

I'm the guy on the left after we sign Miller for 8 x $8.75m

:) 

Everyone else can find a weekend rave to burn off whats left of their magic mushroom induced ADHD proposals, and hit the re-set button . ;) 

• Haha 1