The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

6 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Imagine never going on a cup run because you never rebuild properly and keep signing players past their prime. 
Actually, don’t have to imagine. 

Whens last time we had Canuck hit 99 points horvat had tons of opportunity in top 6 to do that he will never hit 80 points 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

Their will always be a dumpster team that will take a 1rst round pick to eat the cap. I know it sucks but that’s the price of doing business. Look at the Maple Leafs and Oilers moves this off-season.

Yes, because the Oilers and Leafs are great examples of how to responsibly manage cap space..

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Devron said:

Well it kinda is. You made a whole thread about how awful and disappointed you are in things. The off-season has just begun. If you can sign Miller to reasonable term you do that.  Seems unlikely to me. That said we weren’t going to fix anything through the draft. People whining about not getting RH defencemen. Well those picks aren’t going to play for probably 5 years if they play at all. Miller can still fetch us a return for the desired position or management has to get creative.

Thankfully we don’t have to make Panic moves like we have the past couple years. 

I made a thread saying I was disappointed in the fact there was an opportunity to get a deal done and not prolong the inevitable. I also thought there was an opportunity to shed salary but apparently not. As I said, I hope some things are done in the next few weeks. They new management has done nothing g so far to improve the current club. Saying they are trying to sign players that we have already seen and players that have produced very little results does not really make sense. If they did indeed sign Miller what else can they really do to improve their club especially on D. We are currently screwed by Benning’s errors but the writing is on the wall with Miller. Don’t make another mistake with another long term contract. No one has really given any resolutions for our D. It is a big flaw. We can’t just sign Miller and pretend we can get through a season with it the way it is. A trade is the only way to address it.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

So, rumour has it that Allvin won't let other teams talk to Miller's agent and that's what's blocking any trade(s)? Not sure how I feel about this, but I don't see why they wouldn't allow it, as it's certainly going to affect value that a team wants to offer.

I'm starting to have a bad feeling about this whole thing, that we're going to hold onto him and either crush his value more or, worse, lose him to FA for nothing one day. Tell me I'm wrong, please. 

37 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

Maybe I'm in the minority but im glad they are standing pat. We had well above fringe playoff win% in the second half of the season.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it

It was broke. They couldn’t even make the playoffs and they had to rely on goaltending because the d was so bad. It def is broke. 

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

Imagine never going on a cup run because you never rebuild properly and keep signing players past their prime. 
Actually, don’t have to imagine. 

Imagine trading all your players as they hit their primes so you don't have to pay them fair value because MAYBE for 25% of their contract length they may not play to their cap hit.  Then you subsequently overpay stop gap players so that you can tank to either A) get screwed over by the draft lottery,  or B) get some high profile players, and then also complain when they ask for fair value as they hit their primes, because MAYBE for 25% of their contract length they MAY not play to their value. Cycle of mediocrity.  

Tankers need to get the idea out of their heads that we're going to tank for Local boy Bedard this year.  The perpetual tankers of the league (Buffalo, Edmonton, Arizona) haven't moved the needle in years

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

So, rumour has it that Allvin won't let other teams talk to Miller's agent and that's what's blocking any trade(s)? Not sure how I feel about this, but I don't see why they wouldn't allow it, as it's certainly going to affect value that a team wants to offer.

I'm starting to have a bad feeling about this whole thing, that we're going to hold onto him and either crush his value more or, worse, lose him to FA for nothing one day. Tell me I'm wrong, please

You're wrong.... There you happy?

:bigblush:

14 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

On a serious note, is it a good or bad strategy to take, not allowing any other teams talk to his agent? 

It's standard until the management team has exhausted all scenarios... It's been the media and fans that have assumed there's no option but trading JT.  However, Rutherford and Allvin have mentioned more than once, they're looking to keep him if they can.  

What I'm wondering, is are the nucks management pitching to JT's camp how his own career took off since he's been here.  That he's settled and has great chemistry with his teammates... Really... Will he have a better opportunity then what he's already got?  "Take 6 years at 8, front loaded with performance bonuses and a modified (10 team) no trade clause...and win with this core that you are a big part of."  I'm starting to feel that he wants to stay, and is contemplating taking less.

Tell me I'm wrong....

Edited by Hogs & Podz
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, .Naslund said:

Imagine trading all your players as they hit their primes so you don't have to pay them fair value because MAYBE for 25% of their contract length they may not play to their cap hit.  Then you subsequently overpay stop gap players so that you can tank to either A) get screwed over by the draft lottery,  or B) get some high profile players, and then also complain when they ask for fair value as they hit their primes, because MAYBE for 25% of their contract length they MAY not play to their value. Cycle of mediocrity.  

Tankers need to get the idea out of their heads that we're going to tank for Local boy Bedard this year.  The perpetual tankers of the league (Buffalo, Edmonton, Arizona) haven't moved the needle in years

Except when Miller’s new contract kicks in he’ll be at the tail-end of his prime years. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, shiznak said:

Imagine a declining 36-yrs old Miller taking 8m of the team’s cap space, when the team is ready to compete for the Cup. Not being able the add any impactful additions to the team.

Don't forget 36 year old OEL 

• Huggy Bear 1