The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

29 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Ok the one player we need is a rhd to play with QH in a trade.I said this before Miller and Poolman to Boston for Carlo ,a 1st and young prospect.If true that Miller has built a home in the NY area he would be close to home and Boston signing their other two centers would help as Miller is there in case of injury to one and he can play wing.They look like they are taking one last run and this would help them.Plus help us in a partner for QH and our top two D pairing would be awesome.The players we brought in would help in the points from Miller going and we should be all around better.I know nobody likes Boston but this trade would help both teams.

I’m for this. I think BOS bringing back Krejci and Bergeron on cheap deals has given them another shot (like PIT) for the vets. JTM would be a great fit for them, but then sacrificing a guy like Carlo is a bit of a step back. That’s said, I think that’s worth it to BOS. 

they are a destination franchise. 
they can replace Carlo within a season, and I’d argue that JTM to them has more value than Carlo does. It’s a good swap.

Poolman is redundant tho, imho. Unless he’s a strong known quantity to end up on LTIR again, he’s just too expensive for them to take on (even with JTM at $ retained). 

also depends what prospect we get back. 

but yeah, I think BOS is a great trading partner with the way they have positioned themselves 

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

I’m for this. I think BOS bringing back Krejci and Bergeron on cheap deals has given them another shot (like PIT) for the vets. JTM would be a great fit for them, but then sacrificing a guy like Carlo is a bit of a step back. That’s said, I think that’s worth it to BOS. 

they can replace Carlo within a season, and I’d argue that JTM to them has more value than Carlo does. It’s a good swap.

Poolman is redundant tho, imho. Unless he’s a strong known quantity to end up on LTIR again, he’s just too expensive for them to take on (even with JTM at $ retained). 

but yeah, I think BOS is a great trading partner with the way they have positioned themselves 

Well yes take poolman out I just want to make room,but JTM with us retaining 1.5 would work for both but then I would want another pick 3rd year after.Then when Bergeron and and K are gone they can still resign Miller with that money.

I like the idea of accepting Kotkaniemi as part of a pkg.

Canes: Kotkaniemi, Morrow, 2023 1st (top-10 protect)

Van: Millsy

We shift the risk from hoping a 30 yo can justify a lengthy deal, into hoping a 22 yo can pick up his game.

At 4.8 mill, would say Waddell effed up this contract(likely attributable to the offer sheet drama). This would be his opportunity to move on from that lengthy Mtl/Canes soap opera.

The beautiful aspect of this risk? You can judge JK on 3,(even 4) seasons if he'll ever live up to his deal. If necc, you can use the cheap buyout(under 25) that we just saw exercised on OTT's Colin White. Most yrs only 840k

So no retention on JTM, & a chance to turn him into 3 solid young assets.

4 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Just now, cripplereh said:

Well yes take poolman out I just want to make room,but JTM with us retaining 1.5 would work for both but then I would want another pick 3rd year after.Then when Bergeron and and K are gone they can still resign Miller with that money.

Dermott would likely be a better fit for BOS due to his lower salary and lack of health concerns. There's plenty of potential teams out there where it would make sense for them to add Miller. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, aGENT said:

Dermott would likely be a better fit for BOS due to his lower salary and lack of health concerns. There's plenty of potential teams out there where it would make sense for them to add Miller. 

Yes but what one has a rhd that would help us that wouldn't break the bank?

7 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Throw In Seeley for taking on JK's contract risk, and I'd take that.

Edited by aGENT

Totally, but can’t get too greedy and temper expectation a bit.

If we want to shore up a top pairing RHD now, then Carlo is a premium asset and comes at inflated cost. 

If we decide it might be cheaper to wait out a couple seasons and a contract like Myers, then by that time with the league wide investment into the RHD position, there may be more cheaper available options. That’s another couple years though. Good thing QH is still young, hah.

i would do JTM at 50% retained for Carlo and a 1st. I would then try to parlay that 1st with Myers (+) to NYR for K’Andre Miller (+) at the TDL (including + because what I proposed is just the base of a deal).

I would try for a Schneider but it would likely prove far too costly. 

something like that anyway.

2 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Totally, but can’t get too greedy and temper expectation a bit.

If we want to shore up a top pairing RHD now, then Carlo is a premium asset and comes at inflated cost. 

If we decide it might be cheaper to wait out a couple seasons and a contract like Myers, then by that time with the league wide investment into the RHD position, there may be more cheaper available options. That’s another couple years though. Good thing QH is still young, hah.

i would do JTM at 50% retained for Carlo and a 1st. I would then try to parlay that 1st with Myers (+) to NYR for K’Andre Miller (+) at the TDL (including + because what I proposed is just the base of a deal).

I would try for a Schneider but it would likely prove far too costly. 

something like that anyway.

My thing is why wait when we need the help now and Carlo has a 5 year contract at 3.5 mill which would be nothing in a couple years when the cap goes up.Plus next year we get that mill in a half back,but we still need to trade someone else going forward to keep players.But for now this deal would work and no over payment for a younger guy.The size of Carlo would help QH a lot

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm not fixated on JUST getting a RHD. It'd be nice, but I just want solid pieces back first and foremost.

How about w3 get back one very good (potentially elite) piece instead of several solid pieces?  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

How about w3 get back one very good (potentially elite) piece instead of several solid pieces?  

Cause of the cap we have many young guys to resign adding another we can't keep them all and would be in the same or worse position 

My thing is why wait when we need the help now and Carlo has a 5 year contract at 3.5 mill which would be nothing in a couple years when the cap goes up.Plus next year we get that mill in a half back,but we still need to trade someone else going forward to keep players.But for now this deal would work and no over payment for a younger guy.The size of Carlo would help QH a lot

Quinn needs a player like Tanev.  Smart, defensively aware, and knows to get the puck to Quinn early.  Is that Carlo’s game?

Cause of the cap we have many young guys to resign adding another we can't keep them all and would be in the same or worse position 

So we don’t go with BPA, because that’s a bad thing in a cap system?  

20 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I like the idea of accepting Kotkaniemi as part of a pkg.

Canes: Kotkaniemi, Morrow, 2023 1st (top-10 protect)

Van: Millsy

We shift the risk from hoping a 30 yo can justify a lengthy deal, into hoping a 22 yo can pick up his game.

At 4.8 mill, would say Waddell effed up this contract(likely attributable to the offer sheet drama). This would be his opportunity to move on from that lengthy Mtl/Canes soap opera.

The beautiful aspect of this risk? You can judge JK on 3,(even 4) seasons if he'll ever live up to his deal. If necc, you can use the cheap buyout(under 25) that we just saw exercised on OTT's Colin White. Most yrs only 840k

So no retention on JTM, & a chance to turn him into 3 solid young assets.

Rather trade for a sure thing. We shouldnt be risking it for potentials anymore

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How about we get one very good piece back, a decent player and a pick? I don't really want to debate semantics here...

33 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Same boat though Alf. We’re not 1 elite player away from success, but we are a few good-excellent players away from being balanced.

Not to mention, the teams that will want JTM won’t be in the market to swap their elite for another elite unless that player is either disgruntled, or they have encountered a positional need (via injury or something of the sort).

the market demo for a JTM trade is a team looking to add for the now at the expense of the longer term future. That rarely involves moving out one of the pieces they may need in relation to playoff hopes/expectations.

Edited by RWJC

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I don't recall a cup contender every letting their best forward walk for nothing...

Calgary literally just did it.  

Whether you want to admit it or not, Calgary WAS a labeled cup contender last year and a favourite heading in to the playoffs

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Calgary Flames and cup contender in the same sentence is an oxymoron.  They weren't winning a cup WITH little Johnny.  They surely are not winning a cup without him...

Again, this is entirely your opinion and that only.  

25 minutes ago, teepain said:

Rather trade for a sure thing. We shouldnt be risking it for potentials anymore

assets spent: 2020 20th OA pick; 2019 71st OA pick

acquired: JT Miller; 3 yrs of a pt-a-game pace, delivering in his prime.

Then the 3 additional, younger assets in the aforementioned Canes deal.

Most fans seem to hope for a windfall, from any possible deal. Being realistic, would say the above represents two excellent returns for the Canucks.

• Vintage 2

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Calgary literally just did it.  

Whether you want to admit it or not, Calgary WAS a labeled cup contender last year and a favourite heading in to the playoffs

Again, this is entirely your opinion and that only.  

Sure, this is true.  However, even if my opinion is wrong and Calgary WAS a cup contender, they certainly aren't one right now.

Which proves my point that they let their top forward walk for nothing and now they are screwed.  I don't think that the Canucks want to put themselves in that same position one year from now just so they can win a playoff round...

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

6 years :unsure:?

if thats true, then this team needs to be blown up and we need to start over. 

Why?  That's how long it takes teams to get to the point of being a top 4 contender.  That's why, even if JT truly wanted to stay, he doesn't fit the timeline and a massive deal will be an anchor just as the core is hitting it's prime and will need as much depth support that they can get .........deep teams win Cups.

• Cheers 4