The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

34 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Girard is a hell of a player but can we really go Hughes, Girard, Rathbone down the left side?

We’re just getting farther away from a team that can compete in the playoffs. Skating matters for sure, but size is still a factor. And that’s just too small of a D core.

Newhook is also 5’10” so that just makes us even smaller and easier to play against. All of a sudden we’re the Montreal Smurf team that we always made fun of. 

Hughes Girard

OEL Myers

Rathbone Schenn

Hughes OEL

Girard Myers

Rathbone Schenn

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Hughes Girard

OEL Myers

Rathbone Schenn

Hughes OEL

Girard Myers

Rathbone Schenn

I mean there’s no denying the puck movement on that pair would be deadly.

What happens when we face a big heavy hitting team that slows the game down though? Can they always skate their way out of danger? Are they winning many board battles if they have to?

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I mean there’s no denying the puck movement on that pair would be deadly.

What happens when we face a big heavy hitting team that slows the game down though? Can they always skate their way out of danger? Are they winning many board battles if they have to?

Debatable for sure. Looks better than what we currently have though. Feels like something is going to happen yet. Even bringing in one of the fringe UFA's left and maybe they try that combo out. It might be awesome ... 

42 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I’ve said many times that 8.5 mil over 6 years is more than fair based on comparables.

And even that contract is likely to look bad at year 3.

None of the comparable contracts are for 6 years.  Not even one.  Why would you think Miller should take 1-2 years less than everyone else?

54 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Is it just me or is our current magagement group putting our previous management group to shame on every level?  When Benning talked to the press and shoulder shrugged his was through media pressers he never once gave me any feeling he knew what he was doing or instilled any level of confidence.  Allvin is highlighting just how woefully incompetent Benning was as GM.  

It's just you

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

None of the comparable contracts are for 6 years.  Not even one.  Why would you think Miller should take 1-2 years less than everyone else?

Because most of these players are 27 not 29.  But Huberdeau got 8 years so maybe Miller will get that too.  

What the team needs and what JT deserves are quite far apart.  There's no deal I've seen proposed in which either us or JT aren't getting screwed to some degree.  

Trade or lose him for nothing still looks the most likely.  

7 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Because most of these players are 27 not 29.  But Huberdeau got 8 years so maybe Miller will get that too.  

Only way Miller is getting 8 years is if the AAV is under 7.

55 million total dollars for example gives a AAV of 6.875 mil.

A deal that is more than fair to the player and puts the vast majority of the risk on the team.

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

What the team needs and what JT deserves are quite far apart.  There's no deal I've seen proposed in which either us or JT aren't getting screwed to some degree.  

Trade or lose him for nothing still looks the most likely.  

Giving a player 50 million dollars is screwing them?

Millers idea of how much he’s worth must have really shifted in the last year. I would guess that a year ago if a team was offering him 50 million he’d be jumping for joy.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Millers idea of how much he’s worth must have really shifted in the last year. I would guess that a year ago if a team was offering him 50 million he’d be jumping for joy.

offering him a contract significantly lower than anyone else even comparable is straight up disrespectful unless he clearly said he's willing to take a significant discount. 6.875 x 8 lmao why wouldn't he just look for a 8mil x 7 somewhere and then retire a year early or sign another contract if he wants to continue or go back home and still end up making more? or even get a 9mil x 6 and retire by 36? instead of grinding it out till 38 well past his prime?

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Imo some team will offer him closer to 60.

I also don't like that deal for us.  Didn't you yourself say that deal probably looks bad by year 3?

Your deal is reasonable and I still don't see it working for either side.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Girard is a hell of a player but can we really go Hughes, Girard, Rathbone down the left side?

We’re just getting farther away from a team that can compete in the playoffs. Skating matters for sure, but size is still a factor. And that’s just too small of a D core.

Newhook is also 5’10” so that just makes us even smaller and easier to play against. All of a sudden we’re the Montreal Smurf team that we always made fun of. 

the myth that you need size and grit to win in the playoffs is becoming bigger every season.  In fact, more penalities are called in the playoffs than in the regular season and Girard isn't a wilting flower either, he can hold his own, much better than Hughes can.  Further to that, Girard can play both sides

Edited by stawns
  • Vintage 2

15 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Only way Miller is getting 8 years is if the AAV is under 7.

55 million total dollars for example gives a AAV of 6.875 mil.

A deal that is more than fair to the player and puts the vast majority of the risk on the team.

I 100% guarantee that Miller and his agent disagree on that point

• Vintage 2