The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

Lol, the last few pages of this thread are comical, they include:

-sign him above market value to keep him

-trade him for w/e you can get

-sign him then package him with a 1st so we can trade him with a bloated contract later

-trade him for nothing except four 1st rounders

-sign him then trade him with retained salary 

And oh yes, forgot this gem, "with Miller and BB we're winning the cup this year. "

Yeah I get it, it's a forum,  people have yadayadayada opinions, but if you objectively just read the comments they're comical in their range of completely opposing views.

My 2cents, let's wait it out and see folks.   

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, JM_ said:

don't be cruel, no one wants to see that 

I watch the Laffs play…just so I can root for the other team. Don’t care who it is. 

even when Boston plays them.

yuck, just admitting that makes me ill and guilty.  I always feel like I need to be head to toe sanitized afterwards, and then beg the hockey gods for forgiveness. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

They sign Miller for $8.5m x 7 (I think it'll be over $9m for Van) and you can say goodbye to any ideas of contending.  They simply won't have the $ to add the kind of depth players you need to win.  Then all they're left with is a mediocre team and an anchor contract you can't move 

Moot point anyway as I don't see any chance at Miller re-signing in Van

Ok let's wait until Demko, Petey, and Hughes are ALL making $9M+..  THAT'S when we will be able to surround the team with solid depth :rolleyes:

14 minutes ago, Me_ said:

I thought I was watching hockey tonight.

2 minutes ago, Podz92 said:

I hear ya I was all excited too! Went to see what time the game was and SAD! 

Col/LV, TB/Nsh, Cgy/Min should all be excellent games to watch tonight,  especially Col/LV.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Point is that no teams are willing to give up significant assets. You don't just take what you can get for a player of Miller's caliber. 

*Yet. The TDL is still a month away. Patience.

And based on...? HF?.....:lol::lol:

Who's suggesting we "take whatever we get". If we're only getting offers that we could get in the summer, we hang on to him until the summer.

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If we could keep Miller, what's the minimum he would take if the term was 8 years?  7.5?

He'll want the same deal Zib has on the Rangers. $8.5 x 8, with clauses. At minimum.

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

*Yet. The TDL is still a month away. Patience.

And based on...? HF?.....:lol::lol:

Who's suggesting we "take whatever we get". If we're only getting offers that we could get in the summer, we hang on to him until the summer.

He'll want the same deal Zib has on the Rangers. $8.5 x 8, with clauses. At minimum.

I wonder if we will go higher than what Petey gets?  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I wonder if we will go higher than what Petey gets?  

I don't think we're extending him, so no.

But if we want to play out your thought experiment...We're not retaining him for less than $8m, and $8m would be a MAJOR discount (one he has zero reason to give us).

So yes, it would be more than Petey.

The shorter the term (the only way it remotely makes sense for us, the closer to $10m it gets.

And then we have zero trade assets to address our major structural and succession issues, no cap space to address them, and we bleed assets and depth (ie: get worse) desperately clinging to a bubble playoff team that anyone should be able to see, is not currently a contender.

• Cheers 1

Most good teams have 6 players making $5M or better.  Some have up to 8.  Any more and they're fooling around with LTIR to fit under the cap like Vegas.  Pittsburgh has only 4 players north of $5M (Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Guentzel)

The Canucks have 8 players at $5M or better.  There are clearly some issues as Myers doesn't bring value and OEL, while worth more than 5, isn't good value at north of 7

Bottom line, if they're going to have a better D corps, they're going to have to move at least 1 big number and if they're going to have cap flexibility, more than 1 so take your pick from the list.

1. Hughes 7.85
  2. Pettersson 7.35
  3. OEL 7.26
  4. Myers 6.0
  5. Boeser ?
  6. Horvat 5.5
  7. Miller 5.25
  8. Demko 5.0
  9. HM....Garland 4.95

For my money, only the bare bones core should be making more than 7 (Hughes, Pettersson, Demko) but Demmer is on a sweetheart deal.  Long term, something needs to be done about OEL (but it's not urgent because of Demko is down for 5.0 for the next 4 years).  Boeser is not a player who should be north of 7 and neither is Miller.  Myers is a problem because he shouldn't even be on the list.

This year, I can see them moving on Miller and Myers and possibly on Garland.  Boeser only if they can't sign him at 6.  

That will give them the ability to bring in a really good defenseman and still have some wiggle room with the cap. 

They're still going to try to land a grade A RHD prospect like Schneider from the Rangers who is still at a low cap hit as part of a deal for one of the above players.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

I don't think we're extending him, so no.

But if we want to play out your thought experiment...We're not retaining him for less than $8m, and $8m would be a MAJOR discount (one he has zero reason to give us).

So yes, it would be more than Petey.

The shorter the term (the only way it remotely makes sense for us, the closer to $10m it gets.

And then we have zero trade assets to address our major structural and succession issues, no cap space to address them, and we bleed assets and depth (ie: get worse) desperately clinging to a bubble playoff team that anyone should be able to see, is not currently a contender.

It’s really a good place to finally be in, and totally sucks at the same time.

Bruce has this team playing how we want, EP is back, 3rd line accepting and performing with major responsibility, and yet we realistically have to tear it down a bit again. It better be worth it. Both the return on Miller and the cap repositioning. 

• Cheers 1

Why would the Canucks trade the best player they've had since the Sedins were in their prime?  Miller is the heart and soul of the team. Ripping that out of the roster kills their chances of playoffs. Even if they get a really nice return, they would be missing his drive and determination. I don't think Miller is going anywhere, just the Canucks f***ing with the rest of the league :P  Then when they all realize Miller isn't available, they'll be lining up for Garland.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Most good teams have 6 players making $5M or better.  Some have up to 8.  Any more and they're fooling around with LTIR to fit under the cap like Vegas.  Pittsburgh has only 4 players north of $5M (Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Guentzel)

The Canucks have 8 players at $5M or better.  There are clearly some issues as Myers doesn't bring value and OEL, while worth more than 5, isn't good value at north of 7

Bottom line, if they're going to have a better D corps, they're going to have to move at least 1 big number and if they're going to have cap flexibility, more than 1 so take your pick from the list.

1. Hughes 7.85
  2. Pettersson 7.35
  3. OEL 7.26
  4. Myers 6.0
  5. Boeser ?
  6. Horvat 5.5
  7. Miller 5.25
  8. Demko 5.0
  9. HM....Garland 4.95

For my money, only the bare bones core should be making more than 7 (Hughes, Pettersson, Demko) but Demmer is on a sweetheart deal.  Long term, something needs to be done about OEL (but it's not urgent because of Demko is down for 5.0 for the next 4 years).  Boeser is not a player who should be north of 7 and neither is Miller.  Myers is a problem because he shouldn't even be on the list.

This year, I can see them moving on Miller and Myers and possibly on Garland.  Boeser only if they can't sign him at 6.  

That will give them the ability to bring in a really good defenseman and still have some wiggle room with the cap. 

They're still going to try to land a grade A RHD prospect like Schneider from the Rangers who is still at a low cap hit as part of a deal for one of the above players.

Agree with everything except Miller not being worth more than 7. That’s totally incorrect in contrast to his current league wide market value. Maybe 4 years ago?

oh, and Myers does bring value. You just have to objective and look at it fairly. He may not be up to his contract value in some people’s eyes, but again, look at the market and AAV’s and he’s at least close. It’s not his contract undermining this franchise. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

1. Hughes 7.85
  2. Pettersson 7.35
  3. OEL 7.26
  4. Myers 6.0
  5. Boeser ?
  6. Horvat 5.5
  7. Miller 5.25
  8. Demko 5.0
  9. HM....Garland 4.95

Don't other teams that have top guys pay them more than we do ours though?  Look at teams like the LOSER Leafs.  The have four guys totalling 40 million, right?  We can pay guys 8 or less and have 6 guys making that much.  So we have more good players, no?

10 minutes ago, Podz92 said:

True...I do have about 200 tarantulas that would love to be fed today...

Human flesh?

I had one once that escaped it’s habitat while I was asleep and I woke up with it huddled and resting above my eyelid in my eye socket.

Don’t know if that was true love or just the warmth, but I tell you it freaked the $hit out of me and that poor tarantula found out that with a little encouragement it could fly.

Edited by RWJC
  • Haha 2