The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

7 hours ago, mll said:

Except Nashville are in a re-tool - Poile even initially called it a re-build.  They traded away Ellis who was a top pairing D as well as Arvidsson for prospects/futures.  He talked of how they weren't competitive enough to have such a veteran roster and have changed course with a focus on getting younger and building back up their prospect pool.  

They also felt that they had lost their way.  Poile talked of how they relied too much on skills and whenever plays didn't got their way they quit, and needed to get back to being a hard working team that never gives up.

So basically Nashville is also out of the race for Miller.  Who else is left?  Carolina?  Florida?  

At this rate we may not even get a first round pick for Miller...

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, mll said:

Contenders are probably trading for him as a 1 year rental.  His value to these teams was 2x playoffs runs where he provided significant surplus value for his cap hit.  Won't necessarily be the case on his next deal.  

Wonder if he's not going to end up a bit in the Taylor Hall situation.  Was asking the moon but never really got the deal he was hoping for in free agency.  The contending teams already had their core identified ahead of him.  

A team like Philadelphia might be willing to offer the most - as a return + contract wise.  Fletcher is under pressure to contend and they also want to shake up their team.

I agree.  If they wanted to trade Miller the best time to have done that for maximum value was at the last trade deadline.  Now you go into the summer with Miller having only one year left on his deal and you are trying to get a team to bite on trading for him plus negotiate a new 7 year deal with him.  Like you said, a contender would have been looking to trade for him as a rental.  That's not really possible now.  A contender won't have much cap space to work with so a sign and trade type deal like Chicago did with Seth Jones isn't going to work with Miller.

Philly might be able to sign him long term but they really don't have much to offer other than picks and some B prospects.  Unless they want to package Konecny or Provorov in a deal...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree.  If they wanted to trade Miller the best time to have done that for maximum value was at the last trade deadline.  Now you go into the summer with Miller having only one year left on his deal and you are trying to get a team to bite on trading for him plus negotiate a new 7 year deal with him.  Like you said, a contender would have been looking to trade for him as a rental.  That's not really possible now.  A contender won't have much cap space to work with so a sign and trade type deal like Chicago did with Seth Jones isn't going to work with Miller.

Philly might be able to sign him long term but they really don't have much to offer other than picks and some B prospects.  Unless they want to package Konecny or Provorov in a deal...

Done!

I'd take Konecny and Provorov for Miller.  That's exactly the kinda deal we should be looking for.  Draft picks and prospects are a huge crap shoot.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So basically Nashville is also out of the race for Miller.  Who else is left?  Carolina?  Florida?  

At this rate we may not even get a first round pick for Miller...

Which is why Miller’s value was its highest at this last TDL as a two playoff rental.  IMHAO our owner stepped in and nixed the trading Miller talk.  Elliot Friedman (a couple weeks before the TDL) wrote the Canucks we’re going to clear cap to sign Miller.  All the chatter up to that point was trading Miller.  Then it switched to keeping Miller.  Smells of our owner again.  

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Maybe, maybe not. Hard to make deals at deadline with term left. Limits options because of cap restraints. In Summer there is more flexibility and more teams including those who are in the position we were when we traded for home, trying to recover from bad seasons. 
He would not have been going to a contender as a rental, he has another year. 
If there wasn’t a deal there then best thing was to walk. Benning would get a deal in his head and pursue it to a fault, leading to us overpaying.  The extra money and term for UFAs, the throw in extra draft pick on trades.  It was and is crippling. 
We don’t know if there was a value deal there. 
I am excited to see what happens in the off-season and to see what PA’s stamp on this team will look like. Good value moves so far, though mostly minor.  I didn’t necessarily like our D getting smaller but was happy to see Hamonic go. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Done!

I'd take Konecny and Provorov for Miller.  That's exactly the kinda deal we should be looking for.  Draft picks and prospects are a huge crap shoot.

I'd do that deal as well.  I doubt Philly would trade both though.  It would be one or the other plus picks.

7 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Maybe, maybe not. Hard to make deals at deadline with term left. Limits options because of cap restraints. In Summer there is more flexibility and more teams including those who are in the position we were when we traded for home, trying to recover from bad seasons. 
He would not have been going to a contender as a rental, he has another year. 
If there wasn’t a deal there then best thing was to walk. Benning would get a deal in his head and pursue it to a fault, leading to us overpaying.  The extra money and term for UFAs, the throw in extra draft pick on trades.  It was and is crippling. 
We don’t know if there was a value deal there. 
I am excited to see what happens in the off-season and to see what PA’s stamp on this team will look like. Good value moves so far, though mostly minor.  I didn’t necessarily like our D getting smaller but was happy to see Hamonic go. 

Any team trading for Miller as something other than a rental will be in the same situation we are now.  Will they want to commit a long term big money contract to a 30 year old player?  

Miller is a 90+ point centre/winger, who brings a heavy physical game.  At his cap cost he had huge value as a two playoff rental.  We missed the boat.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Any team trading for Miller as something other than a rental will be in the same situation we are now.  Will they want to commit a long term big money contract to a 30 year old player?  

Miller is a 90+ point centre/winger, who brings a heavy physical game.  At his cap cost he had huge value as a two playoff rental.  We missed the boat.  

Maybe, maybe not. We don’t know if there was a good deal on the table. Especially since we are trading from position of weakness, what centre in our organization is knocking on the door?  Who fills that role?

I think we need a fairly extensive rebuild but also know that if PA’s first big deal does not bring back the assets it should we are just continuing down the Benning path. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Done!

25 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'd do that deal as well.  I doubt Philly would trade both though.  It would be one or the other plus picks.

Getting Povorov would give the Canucks a stacked LHD.  It would make Rathbone expendable.

Hughes 

OEL

Povorov

Then the Canucks would need to focus on the RHD.  Maybe trading winger Boeser/Garland + Rathbone?

It would definitely improve the D core.  But we’d still need to bolster the Forward group. 

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Nice way to not give an answer.  -_-

Yeah. I don't tend to waste my time when people are trolling.

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Boston has $4 million in cap space and need to re-sign Bergeron.  Who are they trading to fit Miller under the cap?

Pittsburgh has $30 million in cap space but only 12 players signed.  And they need to re-sign Malkin and Letang.  Who are they trading to fit Miller under the cap?

Washington has $9 million in cap space and need to re-sign half their defencemen.  Who are they trading to fit Miller under the cap?

Nashville has $27 million in cap space with 14 players signed.  You should probably start pumping the Miller to Nashville rumours as that may be the only team that can actually fit him under the cap.  

Here, I'll make it easier for you and pump up a trade proposal right now.

To Nashville:

JT Miller

To Vancouver:

Cody Glass

Dante Fabbro

Yakov Trenin

2023 1st round pick

:)

Teams will make room for good players. Or did I just imagine the Eichel trade?

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, aGENT said:

Yeah. I don't tend to waste my time when people are trolling.

Teams will make room for good players. Or did I just imagine the Eichel trade?

They haven't really made room for Eichel yet - they've been swapping players on/off LTIR.  For next season CapFriendly has them already at 83M with 19 players.    

• Upvote 1

Just now, mll said:

They haven't really made room for Eichel yet - they've been swapping players on/off LTIR.  For next season CapFriendly has them already at 83M with 19 players.    

Yup.

And they'll make moves.

To add the good player.

Kind of the point of my post.

Or are you under the illusion they're going to move Eichel this summer?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yup.

And they'll make moves.

To add the good player.

Kind of the point of my post.

Or are you under the illusion they're going to move Eichel this summer?

LV acquiring Dadonov never made sense. They were a team with no centre depth and spent assets and cap on another winger when everyone knew they were going to get Eichel. 
Then they compounded their mistake.

Love to see LV step all over themselves. 
Now, that is one team that could send us a right D for Miller but I don’t want them to get better and certainly don’t want to help them out of their self made cap issues, I still don’t understand why Anaheim was willing to help them. Understand even less why Florida helped Tampa make a deal. 
Frankly I think Tuch was the heart and soul of that team and they won’t be the same without him. Wouldn’t want them to get another heart and soul player like JTM even if they gave us what we wanted. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

LV acquiring Dadonov never made sense. They were a team with no centre depth and spent assets and cap on another winger when everyone knew they were going to get Eichel. 
Then they compounded their mistake.

Love to see LV step all over themselves. 
Now, that is one team that could send us a right D for Miller but I don’t want them to get better and certainly don’t want to help them out of their self made cap issues, I still don’t understand why Anaheim was willing to help them. Understand even less why Florida helped Tampa make a deal. 
Frankly I think Tuch was the heart and sole of that team and they won’t be the same without him. Wouldn’t want them to get another heart and soul player like JTM even if they gave us what we wanted. 

There's already rumors that Shea Theodore might be the one made available to make room for Eichel this summer as they hope/assume Hague can take a step.

Anybody want Theodore for cheap?

Nah! We should probably extend a 30 year old to a retirement deal before our window is even open instead, and just continue to ignore the glaring issues on our D...

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

There's already rumors that Shea Theodore might be the one made available to make room for Eichel this summer as they hope/assume Hague can take a step.

Nah! We should probably extend a 30 year old to a retirement deal before our window is even open instead, and just continue to ignore the glaring issues on our D...

Um, I never suggested that we extend JTM or not.
I just don’t want to help Vegas out of their issues, Theodore is a Hell of a player that is in an area of desperate need and is a perfect age at 26. If they sweetened the pot enough I could get over the bitter taste of helping them to get him. 

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

What?  Where are these rumours you speak of?  Moving Theodore to make room for Hague is like the Canucks moving Hughes anticipating that Rathbone will replace him.  I call BS on that rumour.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, mll said:

Which means Vegas will be forced to make a trade.  Possibly giving up an asset for cheap.

14 hours ago, Alflives said:

Don’t know JM.  That’s why the managers get big money.  I just hope they are better at making these evaluations and predictions of players’ profiles than Benning.  And I hope our owner keeps his nose out of these choices too.  

If we re-sign Miller at 8 mil on the cap, can we afford Bo and Petey?  

not sure we can afford Petey at the end of his current deal either. If you thought Boeser's QO was bad, go look at Petey's. 

14 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

I guess onw could ask will the young core's growth exceed Miller's eventual decline and/or will time be the winner/loser?

if it doesn't, then we need a complete teardown anyway