The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

Just now, aGENT said:

moving-goalpost.gif

That GIF makes no sense in this situation when I directly addressed the article's flaws lol

Perhaps the Canucks should move Hughes to free up cap space because OEL has a NTC and Rathbone looks good.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, HKSR said:

That GIF makes no sense in this situation when I directly addressed the article's flaws lol

Perhaps the Canucks should move Hughes to free up cap space because OEL has a NTC and Rathbone looks good.

Possible but not probable.

:P

47 minutes ago, Alflives said:

so Miller (8.5) Petey (8.5) and Bo (7).  And 1 mil for the fourth line guy.  25 million on our centers?

To me that just sends up crazy red flags. Maybe we should bring in Bobrovsky to back up Demko as well since we seem to have unlimited cap in this thread. I've said this before but to me it seems obvious that the team is poorly constructed if you're paying a third line center more than $6m.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Here's a wild idea.

How about a three way trade

To Van

Shea Theodore

+assets

To NJ

Quinn Hughes

To Vgk

Ty Smith

Vegas saves a wack of cap and gets a young cheap (still one more year ELC) replacement. NJ gets possibly the best player in the deal, at least the highly productive one, but takes on the most cap in which I believe they have the space for and have incentive to unite all of the Hughes.

Vancouver gets a Hughes type replacement for 2.5 million cheaper for the next 4 years. We do have Rathbone in the system as well (can have both Theodore and Rathbone in the lineup for cheaper than Hughes alone). NJ adds to us for moving Hughes because of mentioned incentive plus potentially best player in the deal. Vegas adds to us as well for freeing up cap space. So we get a net return of slight cap savings along with futures or whatever for a slightly lesser offensive player.

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

To me that just sends up crazy red flags. Maybe we should bring in Bobrovsky to back up Demko as well since we seem to have unlimited cap in this thread. I've said this before but to me it seems obvious that the team is poorly constructed if you're paying a third line center more than $6m.

I wouldn’t get too hung up on positions as long as they can produce which Bo is doing.  Does it matter that he’s “3rd C” if he’s getting 60-70pts?

If Canucks are spending a lot at C positions, then they should look for savings on the wingers and bottom 6 players.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Petey is essentially a winger. Often with Miller who he's been very successful with. If you're top 3 forwards come in at those prices, that's not too bad. We will have to find some value wingers (see Florida), and hope Hoglander/Podkolzin/maybe someone like Linus Karlsson can step into a bigger role. Maybe even Klimovich surprises. At least we have a lot of winger options to potentially work with.

None of those players would be a "3rd line center".

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I'd say it depends.  Tell that to Crosby, Malkin, and Staal.  

12 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Petey, Miller and BO are your top 3 forwards.  You have to look at it that way versus what position they are playing.  Also, Miller and Petey can both play the wing so you can load up a line with both of them if you need to.  If you are paying your 3rd best forward around $6.6.5 million then I think you would be fine cap wise.  Every top team in the league has 3 forwards over $6 million.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Here's a wild idea.

To Van

Shea Theodore

+assets

To NJ

Quinn Hughes

To Vgk

Ty Smith

Vegas saves a wack of cap and gets a young cheap (still one more year ELC) replacement. NJ gets possibly the best player in the deal, at least the highly productive one, but takes on the most cap in which I believe they have the space for and have incentive to unite all of the Hughes.

Vancouver gets a Hughes type replacement for 2.5 million cheaper for the next 4 years. We do have Rathbone in the system as well (can have both Theodore and Rathbone in the lineup for cheaper than Hughes alone). NJ adds to us for moving Hughes because of mentioned incentive plus potentially best player in the deal. Vegas adds to us as well for freeing up cap space. So we get a net return of slight cap savings along with futures or whatever for a slightly lesser offensive player.

That is wild, but I wouldn't hate it either.  

47 minutes ago, aGENT said:

And if that happens, wouldn't it be nice to have the younger trade assets from moving Miller, the cap space to take cap/buy assets and not have an albatross contact on the books... Hmmm

Just one in the very long list of reasons to not extend Miller... Need to have money to support and extend the young core.

:bored:

Damn, I got the sleepy emoji today.  I am so depressed really...  <_<

It's okay my friend to lose an argument.  I've lost a few myself.  Cheer up and get ready for the next battle.  Hey, if Miller does get traded then I would be in for the fight of my life...  :)

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

And if that happens, wouldn't it be nice to have the younger trade assets from moving Miller, the cap space to take cap/buy assets and not have an albatross contact on the books... Hmmm

Just one in the very long list of reasons to not extend Miller... Need to have money to support and extend the young core.

:bored:

sounds like an even better reason to move Pearson, Dickie and Poolman to me. 

Keep the C depth, move the expensive middle meh. 

Edited by JM_

14 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Nice way to not give an answer.  -_-

Boston has $4 million in cap space and need to re-sign Bergeron.  Who are they trading to fit Miller under the cap?

Pittsburgh has $30 million in cap space but only 12 players signed.  And they need to re-sign Malkin and Letang.  Who are they trading to fit Miller under the cap?

Washington has $9 million in cap space and need to re-sign half their defencemen.  Who are they trading to fit Miller under the cap?

Nashville has $27 million in cap space with 14 players signed.  You should probably start pumping the Miller to Nashville rumours as that may be the only team that can actually fit him under the cap.  

Here, I'll make it easier for you and pump up a trade proposal right now.

To Nashville:

JT Miller

To Vancouver:

Cody Glass

Dante Fabbro

Yakov Trenin

2023 1st round pick

:)

Glass is looking like a bust, I'd prefer Tomasino as the main target. Or even Jeannot

56 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Here's a wild idea.

To Van

Shea Theodore

+assets

To NJ

Quinn Hughes

To Vgk

Ty Smith

Hughes > Theodore >>>> Smith

NJD better be adding alot more to go from Smith to Hughes.

And Quinn is about the last guy I'd trade

49 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Damn, I got the sleepy emoji today.  I am so depressed really...  <_<

It's okay my friend to lose an argument.  I've lost a few myself.  Cheer up and get ready for the next battle.  Hey, if Miller does get traded then I would be in for the fight of my life...  :)

Oh boy, I'm looking forward to the day Miller either gets re-signed or traded... it'll be bananas on these boards lmao

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, JM_ said:

But isn't that what Miller has been for us? its only 17 game sample, but he has 18 pts. Bo has 11 goals in 23 playoff games. Put that together with Petey hitting his prime and we have excellent C depth for the playoffs. 

If we're able to run 3 lines with Miller, Bo, Petey as C's for the playoffs its going to be very hard to defend against. 

I agree with that. That 1-3 C punch would be too much to handle for most teams if we have balance on wings and D.

I don't think Miller is a game breaker in the playoffs though. He's fine as a 1B center along with Horvat, and that's not a put down as most teams don't even have one of those centers, but we need someone to take another step and that's obviously EP in my mind.

Miller's contract is obviously an issue, and while I would love that 1-3 C punch his tendency to give up on plays and take bad penalties is real, so sorry, not really seeing him on our contender.. (although I will also admit he's taken over games this season as a true 1A C, so it's not black and white)

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Hughes > Theodore >>>> Smith

NJD better be adding alot more to go from Smith to Hughes.

And Quinn is about the last guy I'd trade

I agree, but we have seen how much cap has an impact on even star players. Eichel seemingly got less than Brandon Hagel did for value. So it would be something coming our way, but probably wouldn't be absurd.

2 minutes ago, coryberg said:

As long as +assets is 3 1st round picks id be OK with that.

I think we could get a 1st rounder. 3, probably not. But we could get additional assets on top of a 1st like other picks, prospects (not the top ones), or roster help potentially as well.

Have to remember the importance of cap space and the value on that.