The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

They will find out what the number and term are and then decide if he stays. If they are going to move him I would expect they try prior to or at the draft, if they can find the right deal. I expect they'll shop a few players and see what they can make work. This team is a 100+ point playoff team with Bruce as coach, out of the gate, so they have to make certain they don't mess it up. 

Edited by aliboy

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

So we keep Miller (not extended) and rethink trading him at the next TDL as a playoff rental?  What if we are in a playoff spot at the 2023 TDL?  Could we trade Miller at that time?  We might have to keep him and see him walk July 1, 2023.

Imhao we either sign or trade Miller this summer.  There is no other option.  

I think we should be looking at this idea. The team will have a very good idea after sitting down and talking to him .

If a deal is not in the works we need to trade this deadline. We demand a 1st and a bluechip RD. 

If we wait till next year we will lose a year of development of our 1st rd selection from the trade. 

40 minutes ago, BillfromVan said:

If we wait till next year we will lose a year of development of our 1st rd selection from the trade. 

So, trade a top ten NHL scorer and team leader for an unknown 17- or 18-year old who is two, three or four years away, if ever?

Think of it this way, if they don't overpay for Miller, how do we know they won't overpay for somebody else? And who out there checks as many boxes as Miller? Serious question: have you looked at 23/24 free agent forwards? And which one do you think would provide more than Miller does, and for how much money and term? Short answer: not many, and nobody who will cost much less than you'd have to pay Miller.

Also, consider this: Only five Canucks have ever scored more than Miller's 93 points this season: Bure, Mogilny, Naslund, Daniel and Henrik. I don't know how you offload an obvious star like Miller for picks and/or prospects. I don't know how you replace what Miller brings unless you are willing to spend big, and if you have to spend big, why not Miller?

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

41 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

So, trade a top ten NHL scorer and team leader for an unknown 17- or 18-year old who is two, three or four years away, if ever?

Think of it this way, if they don't overpay for Miller, how do we know they won't overpay for somebody else? And who out there checks as many boxes as Miller? Serious question: have you looked at 23/24 free agent forwards? And which one do you think would provide more than Miller does, and for how much money and term? Short answer: not many, and nobody who will cost much less than you'd have to pay Miller.

Also, consider this: Only five Canucks have ever scored more than Miller's 93 points this season: Bure, Mogilny, Naslund, Daniel and Henrik. I don't know how you offload an obvious star like Miller for picks and/or prospects. I don't know how you replace what Miller brings unless you are willing to spend big, and if you have to spend big, why not Miller?

You do realize that after the Sedins made the 100 pt mark they came back to reality and were 70pts, 60pts, then 50 pts thereafter.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, HKSR said:

What the heck?  Did you watch the games?  Even the media was gushing over how complete of a game Miller played against Dallas as how instrumental he was in that win.  Is that what his role will be moving forward?  No... because his offensive ability is too good for that.

I really don't think you know what you're talking about:

- 4th highest scoring centre in the entire NHL (behind McDavid, Draisatl, and Matthews)

- 53% on faceoffs for the entire year

- 6 GWG (the most on the entire team -- which tells me he scores when we need it most)

- the most assists by any Canuck since Henrik Sedin

- 22 even strength goals -- 1st on the team

- 54 even strength points -- 1st on the team

- +11 rating (4th best on the team, 2nd best of all forwards)

Yes, do tell me how he's not vital to the success of this team.  Oh?  Because you say so?  Got it.

I've watched all games but 2 this season, thank you.

I'm not arguing Miller hasn't been our best forward over the entire season, of course he has. What I am saying is that he has cooled down for the last few games where we really needed him to step up and that he is not a matchup center but rather a very good offensive player which kinda balances his defensive shortcomings.

In my eyes, the difference makers on the team are Demko, QH and EP. That has been true for the last few games and will be even more so going forward.

Over the entire season Miller has been the most important player along with Demko (maybe OEL and Myers are underrated somewhat for their contributions), and you can agree with this or not, but I guess that's where all the debate regarding trading Miller or not comes from. It's not just his contract - which in itself will be a big issue - but also whether you believe he's a player who can lead to victory in the games where it matters the most.

15 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Dunno about that, there's a difference between acknowledging what he's done and what he brings as a player and writing him off as trash. I'd say most fans, particularly those who are on board with trading him, recognize that he's valuable. If he weren't we wouldn't have spent so much time bandying about proposals that'd be costly to another team. Some of us are wary of what he'll command, his age, where we're at in our competitive cycle, the possibility of losing him for nothing. The entire Miller debate is a nuanced thing and while there are several ongoing points of disagreement between different factions, there's a commonality in recognizing what he's done the last few seasons. 

It's not as simple as x player bad, not that that's what you were implying. 

Hey why have an honest conversation with someone when you can just move the goalposts and win any argument you want in your own mind?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/22/2022 at 7:13 PM, Coconuts said:

Lysell's an intriguing target, and Miller's arguably a better fit for Boston than the Rags despite my preference for Schneider. Bergeron is a pending UFA and he'll be 37 in July, they seriously need a guy who can step in and be their top center sooner than later. 

Boston's also somewhere I could see him re-signing. 

They don't have a 1st this year but getting next year's 1st as a part of a package would be acceptable. 

Yup, I see Bruins being a better trade partner than the Rags. Of course I want Schneider, but it seems like that deal is not going to happen.

The only problem with Lysell might be size. But with his skating, speed and playmaking, I don’t see why he wouldn’t thrive in the modern NHL. Him and Hughes would literally put on a skating show in games. One can only dream though.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

You are using a false premise.

If we haven’t signed Miller to a reasonable deal, it means he doesn’t want to sign a deal with us and wants to go to free agency.

It isn’t a top 19 scorer vs an unknown quantity in a trade return.  It is having nothing vs. significant assets if Miller walks.  That is e I try a different equation.  If Miller had 3 more years on his deal no one would be talking about trading him.

Also, no one is suggesting that he is traded for just a draft pick that is years away from the NHL.  The package he would demand wood include NHL players and NHL ready prospects.

The argument that we should overpay him because maybe we would overpay someone else makes zero sense.  If you overpay guys you don’t win Stanley Cups.  If you overpay him, then that also sets a higher internal bar for what other players will demand.

I sure hope you’re right, and we move Miller this summer.  What’s the return going to look like?

Younger NHL ready D?

Younger NHL ready C?

Draft picks?

Would Lundqist + Chytil + 2nd + 3rd be reasonable? 

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I sure hope you’re right, and we move Miller this summer.  What’s the return going to look like?

Younger NHL ready D?

Younger NHL ready C?

Draft picks?

Would Lundqist + Chytil + 2nd + 3rd be reasonable? 

agree with your identified needs but the guys in this trade don't move the needle much for me. 

3 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

agree with your identified needs but the guys in this trade don't move the needle much for me. 

I’m not too sure about Lunqust, but Chytil is a player.  He could be our young third line centre.

Petey

Bo

Chytil

Maybe we could move Lundquist to get a young (bigger) more defensively minded D at that point?  Or instead of even including Lundquist get the Ranger’s 1st?

Miller for Chytil + 1st + 3rd?

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I’m not too sure about Lunqust, but Chytil is a player.  He could be our young third line centre.

Petey

Bo

Chytil

Maybe we could move Lundquist to get a young (bigger) more defensively minded D at that point?  Or instead of even including Lundquist get the Ranger’s 1st?

Miller for Chytil + 1st + 3rd?

Miller is almost at 100 points and an every situation player. That's an underpayment in my opinion. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

I say we trade Miller for Chychrun and an unprotected 2023 1st!

:D

As much as I like that trade, I can't see Miller signing with the Coyotes and they know it.  They would

be really stupid to trade that (fantastic) package for 1 season of JT.

Speaking of Az... how 'bout Brock + 1st  for Soderstrom(rd) + Hayton(c) or Crouse(lw)?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

As much as I like that trade, I can't see Miller signing with the Coyotes and they know it.  They would

be really stupid to trade that (fantastic) package for 1 season of JT.

Speaking of Az... how 'bout Brock + 1st  for Soderstrom(rd) + Hayton(c) or Crouse(lw)?

Sodestrom was picked 11th overall and is 3 years into his development.  Don't really see what incentive they would have to start over.  He's the kind of player they need.

Boeser with a 7.5M QO and 2 years to UFA seems like an unlikely target for Arizona who want to tank and probably save as much money as possible.  Also don't really see how he is worth Crouse + Hayton.

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, mll said:

Sodestrom was picked 11th overall and is 3 years into his development.  Don't really see what incentive they would have to start over.  He's the kind of player they need.

Boeser with a 7.5M QO and 2 years to UFA seems like an unlikely target for Arizona who want to tank and probably save as much money as possible.  Also don't really see how he is worth Crouse + Hayton.

I always assume that any trade with Brock, means that he has signed a reasonable contract.

I wasn't including both Crouse and Hayton in the trade.  I didn't really think they would deal

Hayton at 22yrs (but you never know...they make some pretty stupid trades).

The Coyotes have traded off quite a few young players, who have gone to other teams and

played really well.  They tend to have little patience in developing young players.  It could be

Crouse (24) is running out of time.

They have a great affection for 1st round pick as well.

So the trade would be:  (a signed) Brock + 1st   for  Crouse  + Soderstrom

(and Nucks will throw in Hogs if necessary).