The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

5 minutes ago, gurn said:

Wonder how well Yzerman's career would have gone if he had played for the Canucks?

I'd guess no cups, but the scoring and playing on national teams would remain.

Yzerman instead of Linden probably woulda got past the Rangers in 94. Woulda been a way different team though too. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Steven Stamkos said:

That’s quite an exaggeration and almost an insult to Stevie Y. Yzerman is the longest serving captain of all time, hall of famer, has three cups, and is top ten in points and goals. Yzerman brought way more to the his franchise than Smyl ever did. Just because both are heart and soul players doesn’t mean they are anything alike. 

Any one ever nick named you “hen peck”?

lol

i said to their relative cities..

what next grammar lessons?

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Steven Stamkos said:

Then compare him to Ryan Smyth. 

Smyth played for the Islanders, Yzerman and Smyl stayed in the same organization their whole playing careers then became executives with that organization.

Only reason Stevie Y went to Tampa for his brief stint was there was there was no chance the Wings drop Holland for a rookie GM after all he had done. 

• Vintage 1

Honestly, even though I've always liked Boeser I would rather see him traded than Miller even though Brock's value isn't as high as it has been. Boeser is getting his opportunities this year but has struggled somewhat now for a few years (albeit shortened seasons). He looks like a player to me who needs a change of scenery, plus a qualifying offer would pay him about $7.5 million next year, which I think we can all agree is too much for his production as of late. He's up for contract renewal, so question is what does he want and can we accomodate?

Off topic, does anybody else notice how many times we miss the net as a team on great scoring opportunities? If the the stats guys tracked this I would have to imagine we are at or near the top in missed shots.  It's driving me crazy, Boeser, Pettersson, and especially Hoglander. Hoglander has SO much potential and he always looks dangerous with the puck but If I had a nickel for every time he dangled around a D man and then snaps it 10 inches wide of the net. Coaches need to get these guys to at least hit the net. 

Edited by CJ44
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

7 minutes ago, CJ44 said:

Honestly, even though I've always liked Boeser I would rather see him traded than Miller even though Brock's value isn't as high as it has been. Boeser is getting his opportunities this year but has struggled somewhat now for a few years (albeit shortened seasons). He looks like a player to me who needs a change of scenery, plus a qualifying offer would pay him about $7.5 million next year, which I think we can all agree is too much for his production as of late. 

Off topic, does anybody else notice how many times we miss the net as a team on great scoring opportunities? If the the stats guys tracked this I would have to imagine we are at or near the top in missed shots.  It's driving me crazy, Boeser, Pettersson, and especially Hoglander. Hoglander has SO much potential and he always looks dangerous with the puck but If I had a nickel for every time he dangled around a D man and then snaps it 10 inches wide of the net. Coaches need to get these guys to at least hit the net. 

Last year was a struggle for Boeser?     
Could have fooled me. 

• Cheers 4

2 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

Last year was a struggle for Boeser?     
Could have fooled me. 

Maybe what @cj44 sees is in his latter statement,   Boeser gets tons of chances, but it’s a low percentage of those chances going in?

That low percentage is still a decent point total , but no where near the tally it could be.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 1

Just now, CJ44 said:

See above

I edited my above to this:  

Maybe what @cj44 sees is in his latter statement,   Boeser gets tons of chances, but it’s a low percentage of those chances going in?

That low percentage is still a decent point total , but no where near the tally it could be.

Edited just now by SilentSam

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CJ44 said:

Honestly, even though I've always liked Boeser I would rather see him traded than Miller even though Brock's value isn't as high as it has been. Boeser is getting his opportunities this year but has struggled somewhat now for a few years (albeit shortened seasons). He looks like a player to me who needs a change of scenery, plus a qualifying offer would pay him about $7.5 million next year, which I think we can all agree is too much for his production as of late. 

Problem is we don't know how interested Miller is in re-signing here.

If we trade him now the team that acquires him gets two playoff runs with him at a manageable cap-hit (even better if we retain) which means a lot of value.

Pretty similar to the Kesler situation where we would have got more if Aquilini had let Gillis make the trade at the deadline.

Despite being older, Miller has more value right now especially with Boeser having a slow year.

Best case scenario is Boeser bounces back next season with a fresh start (Pettersson, as well).

Just now, SilentSam said:

I edited my above to this:  

Maybe what @cj44 sees is in his latter statement,   Boeser gets tons of chances, but it’s a low percentage of those chances going in?

Edited just now by SilentSam

Gotcha, I should have said as well my main point is I'd love to see Boeser back but at a realistic dollar value....$7.5 some are estimating as qualifying offer just seems too high to me personally. If he capitalized on more of this chances (and hit the net more) his goal totals would be back up to where we are used to seeing them. Last year was not a bad year for him, but it's the consistency that seems to be an issue.

• Like 1

Just now, kanucks25 said:

If we trade him now the team that acquires him gets two playoff runs with him at a manageable cap-hit (even better if we retain) which means a lot of value.

Pretty similar to the Kesler situation where we would have got more if Aquilini had let Gillis make the trade at the deadline.

Despite being older, Miller has more value right now especially with Boeser having a slow year.

Best case scenario is Boeser bounces back next season with a fresh start (Pettersson, as well).

I agree for sure, Miller's value is super high so he makes the most sense to move....Boeser is up for contract renewal and for me that's the biggest question, how much does he want and can we afford it...I guess that will decide what the team does. 

4 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

I would imagine sitting down with Miller is priority #1 for the new mgmt team. If he does want to stay, they could hash out an extension for July 1.

Really the only bad situation with Miller is if he ends up walking for nothing. Stay, great. Trade, probably great. Walk, no beuno.

I don't think JR is afraid of his age one bit. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

Then get those people hired!!  Other teams are going to go into sell mode soon.  We have the “benefit” of not even being close to the playoff bar so it is an easy decision to move the assets you can.

not sure how "easy" it is. If we're moving Miller you can't screw up the return, and it also carries risk. 

• Cheers 2