The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

Just now, Ferlands_Head said:

The rumoured return was Lundkvist Chytil and a 1st. I’d lose my sh*t if we got 3 projects for JT. 

would you be ok with that return? 

Absolutely not. That seems like quantity over quality.

Id rather one legit prospect over a few meh pieces.

If we’re trading Miller to New York, one of Schnieder, Kakko, or Lafreniere has to be the piece coming back.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, billabong said:

Panarin might ask for a trade….hint hint :ph34r:

what would you rather? 

to nyr: Miller

to van: panarin 

panarin-pettersson-boeser 

pretty fun line!!!! 

ooooorrrrr the logical, probably better for the future of the team

To van: schneider, kakko, chytil, nemeth, 1st round pick 

to nyr: Miller (50% retained), rathbone, 4th round pick 2023 (NYR’s pick)

Panarin makes almost 12 million and put up less points than Miller.

I’d rather just re-sign Miller for 8-9 mil. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, nergish said:

JT Miller

Jack Rathbone

15 OA

for

Brandt Clarke

Alex Turcotte

Helge Grans

19 OA

Draft Lian Bichsel at #19 if available.

A bunch of magic beans, but potentially a huge overhaul to the D-corps.

Don't think you're getting Clarke. Too much hype etc around him. That said, I'd prefer the more defensive/2 way Faber over getting both of more offensively inclined Clarke and Grans anyway. Faber + Grans and you might have something.

17 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah Lidstrom is probably not the best example. It's like people bringing up Crosby/Ovi/Pavelski for Miller :lol:

How about our very own Edler? Guy's still playing a key, top 4 role in LA at 36. And as much as I love Edler (see the sig) OEL was, is and will continue to be a better D man, and a far better skater.

Barring injuries or the like, I have almost zero worry about OEL continuing to being able to play at a high, first pair level for all but one, maybe 2 of those years. And then it's a mildly inefficient $1-$1.5m over for the last year or two. Hardly the "nightmare" cap situation people are making it out to be. The ability to throw him and Hughes out for 25'ish minutes each, on our left side for the next half decade is easily worth that tiny risk at the end there IMO.

Except OEL is a far better, far smoother skater and much more cerebral.  He's not at Ludstroms level, obviously, but OEL plays a very similar style.  He's very efficient on the ice

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Absolutely not. That seems like quantity over quality.

Id rather one legit prospect over a few meh pieces.

If we’re trading Miller to New York, one of Schnieder, Kakko, or Lafreniere has to be the piece coming back.

I’d be ok with K’andre Miller as the centrepiece as well. He was pretty impressive in the playoffs . 

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

Except OEL is a far better, far smoother skater and much more cerebral.  He's not at Ludstroms level, obviously, but OEL plays a very similar style.  He's very efficient on the ice

Yup, Like I said, OEL is, was and will be far better than Edler. Better hockey IQ, better skater. Legit #1, franchise D. And Edler is still contributing at a high 2nd pair level at 36...so in comparison OEL should be....

SO much whinging about his contract, when after Demko and Hughes, it's about one of the last things on this roster I'm REMOTELY worried about.

Edited by aGENT
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Ferlands_Head said:

The rumoured return was Lundkvist Chytil and a 1st. I’d lose my sh*t if we got 3 projects for JT. 

would you be ok with that return? 

Quite frankly,  and I stated this before the TDL,.  I’d be shocked if Drury did anything to upset the balance of what is taking place in New York.

That was a fantastic year for that team, and where they are in their development.

They might be raising eyebrows over Dubois though,  as complicated as that might get,.  It might be a nice problem to have.

ps. I’d love to see Dubois here over others

(excluding Miller , who could probably be moved in 3-4 years for attrition to happen here)

16 minutes ago, stawns said:

I have no issues with Millers play, but they can't afford to let him walk away and to get him to stay would be an absolute anchor contract.  If he were willing to sign for three years at $8m, then I'd be less concerned.

But as I’ve said , you can negotiate that option to move/ trade him after the 3rd or 4th season.

by that time, if he hasn’t won a cup here yet, at 33 or 34 yrs old , he would want to go to a contender.

In the meantime he elevates himself and this team closer to a fuller potential .

in 3-4 years the cap should make 8m seem like 6.5-7m at least..  and he’d still bring a top return, perhaps a 1st overall if we’re LUCKY . to a team needing his swagger, not unlike the on ice effort and work Kane brought to the Oilers this season.

(Canucks don’t get good luck, they work and scrape for everything) lol

• Vintage 1

Just now, SilentSam said:

But as I’ve said , you can negotiate that option to move/ trade him after the 3rd or 4th season.

by that time, if he hasn’t won a cup here yet, at 33 or 34 yrs old , he would want to go to a contender.

In the meantime he elevates himself and this team closer to a fuller potential .

in 3-4 years the cap should make 8m seem like 6.5-7m at least..  and he’d still bring a top return, perhaps a 1st overall if we’re LUCKY . to a team needing his swagger, not unlike the on ice effort and work Kane brought to the Oilers this season.

(Canucks don’t get good luck, they work and scrape for everything) lol

Very good point 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

The cap is basically stagnant the next few years. So no, it won't "seem like that". And if he's a 60 point player in 3-4 years (likely), he's going to be immovable at $8-9m without adding massive sweetener.

In 3-4 years, 8m won’t seem like 6-7m?

Thats not a quantum leap agent,  even your flatline compares to your trade imagination,

wild and desperate.

..and yes possibly a sweetener added, but not massive.

ps.  Your quick to dissect and pixelate every word , but forget the bigger picture that it creates.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

In 3-4 years, 8m won’t seem like 6-7m?

Thats not a quantum leap agent,  even your flatline compares to your trade imagination,

wild and desperate.

..and yes possibly a sweetener added, but not massive.

$8m (which is optimistic as his hit will likely be over that amount) might be "like" $7.8 +/-

And yes, massive. Even "$7.8m" 60 point players require more than a mid-late pick to move.

Edited by aGENT

19 minutes ago, aGENT said:

The cap is basically stagnant the next few years. So no, it won't "seem like that". And if he's a 60 point player in 3-4 years (likely), he's going to be immovable at $8-9m without adding massive sweetener.

The Office Yes GIF

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

He was too motivated at the end of the season for it to be series of really good seasons.

In one post game interview it seemed as though he made a realization of his own true potential and was grateful to be having the opportunity here with these players to do that.

I think we saw an elevation of a player who many here thought would continue to be a 5.7-6.2m player.

Dont get me wrong,.  This was not a “fluke” ..

He drove the bus.

And I did not say that it was a fluke.  You can be right about everything that you said and it could still be his career year.  It's not mutually exclusive.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

$8m (which is optimistic as his hit will likely be over that amount) might be "like" $7.8 =/-

And yes, massive. Even "$7.8m" 60 point players require more than a mid-late pick to move.

but when that happens your losing that “7.8m” cap hit or what ever it is,

and  p o s s I b l y a mid round pick for a really good pick at the optimum time in our team/cap progression.

That’s not a bad thing for what we would get for “4” more years of what this player could contribute, with all of his familiarity here.

To have knowledge and control over what works for a team,  is better than having expectations of what we don’t know.

This team will evolve better with Miller in the next 3-4 years than without him.

I still think Other players can be moved to acquire strength in other positions that are weak.

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

but when that happens your losing that “7.8m” cap hit or what ever it is,

and  p o s s I b l y a mid round pick for a really good pick at the optimum time in our team/cap progression.

That’s not a bad thing for what we would get for “4” more years of what this player could contribute, with all of his familiarity here.

To have knowledge and control over what works for a team,  is better than having expectations of what we don’t know.

This team will evolve better with Miller in the next 3-4 years than without him.

I still think Other players can be moved to acquire strength in other positions that are weak.

It's going to cost a lot more than a mid round pick. The rest you can't possibly know. And you accuse me of living in fantasy land :lol:

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

And I did not say that it was a fluke.  You can be right about everything that you said and it could still be his career year.  It's not mutually exclusive.

I “quoted” “fluke” to emphasize my wording..

it’s a word I don’t like to use, and consider it slang :) 

Hard to look at his charts and say he is now plateaued though,  even if he has .. that’s tough to give up or replace without stepping back.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Perhaps we can lever players like you have mentioned with other players or player we have.

Its Millers Identity here to his team mates that matters more in all of the arguments made .

Besides, by the end of the Season we will have a small community of Russians who will require a little more room in Podz Kuzmenko and Tryamkin ;)

image.gif.5c3e3bc69a8111b0aae61dcd8a4060a7.gif

Part of millers identity is also negative body language and turnovers. Can’t have all the good without some bad.

But we will see what they do. They could resign him, they could trade him. We will see. If they can find a way to keep him where it makes sense numbers wise and with roster planning great.

I think you are being a little close minded in seeing how trading miller now could be the best thing for our clubs future. 

And there’s zero word or indication Tryamkin is getting a contract? And even if he did he solves zero issues for us in building out our backend. He’s a middle of the pack KHL defender. He’d be fighting with Luke Schenn or really just to be a bottom pairing guy on our team. I’m not convinced he will ever play in the NHL again. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

It's going to cost a lot more than a mid round pick. The rest you can't possibly know. And you accuse me of living in fantasy land :lol:

I can appreciate that , these boards do get all of us too excited at times..  the common thread we share is we want to have an established winning hockey club in the playoffs for at least 8 years of every 10.

We sec to have a team lead by Smyl that mimicked the Hockey the Bruins play,  I miss that type of present day tenacity here.

I see it in Miller.    I see keeping him as an opportunity to have his game and enthusiasm rub off on to others.. hopeful the culture change lasts a very long time.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3