The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

29 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

It was so refreshing at times last year when PP1 overhandled and overpassed the puck where I'd feel so frustrated watching and then PP2 with guys like Pearson comes on and just scores the old school way with a point shot and a screen in front.

I believe there is enough talent for 2 good PPs but we need to get a little creative with line deployment.

PP1 Boeser, Miller, Petey Garland,  Hughes.  

PP2 Kuz, Horvat, Podz,  Hogz, OEL (maybe Pearson instead of Hogz?)

Kuzmenko plays a very similar role to Boeser's spot on the PP so he would be a natural fit. Horvat moving from bumper on PP1 down to PP2 might disrupt things a little. 

I think these 2 PP units could function in a very similar way and BB should just give them 1 minute each.  More goals might get scored this way.

I wonder how often our PP1 unit scores after staying out past a minute? 

I'm sure our execs are on top of that stat as well. 

I feel like if both units knew they only had 1 minute, we'd see a lot more urgency with more pucks being directed at the net.  The lack of urgency on PP1 kills me sometimes

And that's where OEL is a better QB choice than Hughes.......hes not cute with the puck, he makes hard, crisp passes and he's got a great shot that gets to the net.  I like the idea of Hughes roving around the zone, supporting the puck and making his magical little saucer passes to open guys......I also think he'd get more goals that way.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, AC Readership said:

Hopefully that means they are blowing it up.

I think this means the younger guys (who are still here after the summer) are expected to take over from guys like Miller, Myers, Garland who are getting moved out.  Heck, Bo might go too, and management expects the young guys left to take over for him too.  New leadership around Petey, Hughes, Demko.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think this means the younger guys (who are still here after the summer) are expected to take over from guys like Miller, Myers, Garland who are getting moved out.  Heck, Bo might go too, and management expects the young guys left to take over for him too.  New leadership around Petey, Hughes, Demko.  

Tanking & rebuild incoming. :frantic:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Meh said:

You said projects not prospects, big difference.

They’re still projects and have lots of development left to even be long term nhl players. They’re certainly not blue chip prospects not even close. 

Chytil while he was hot in the playoffs is wildly inconsistent and we’ve seen hot spurts like that before. He’s a project. 

Lundkvist still needs a lot of development he’s got some decent tools but is still a project at this point and he’s fallen off the depth chart behind 3rd round pick Zac Jones. 

this is not even close to a proper offer for Miller. 

15 minutes ago, AC Readership said:

Tanking & rebuild incoming. :frantic:

That would be great!  We will see the direction with the return.  If most important pieces coming back top prospects, high picks, and young guys with room to develop, then the tank is on.  If the key parts of any return are fully developed players, who are 23-27, that are expected to help right now (and the futures aren’t the key parts of the return) then we know the direction hadn’t changed from the Benning era.  But we have way smarter people making the deals, so that could work too.  

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Bo to the Rangers

Brock to Minnesota or New Jersey .   

Or both to   _______________________.

Bo to the Rags?  Kakko + what in return?

Brock, because of his contract, just doesn’t have much value.  Far more likely it’s Garland that’s moved.  

50 minutes ago, stawns said:

He plays behind QH on the pp, but 5v5 hrs pretty much the go to guy

I think Hughes is just as good 5v5 if not better then OEL. I just think OEL had a partner who could handle more minutes. Myers, for as much heat as he takes at times, can eat minutes. If we didn't have OEL we probably would have found a better option then Schenn to be playing with Hughes, therefore leading to more 5on5.

That's at least my take.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That would be great!  We will see the direction with the return.  If most important pieces coming back top prospects, high picks, and young guys with room to develop, then the tank is on.  If the key parts of any return are fully developed players, who are 23-27, that are expected to help right now (and the futures aren’t the key parts of the return) then we know the direction hadn’t changed from the Benning era.  But we have way smarter people making the deals, so that could work too.  

team america vomit GIF

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

I think Hughes is just as good 5v5 if not better then OEL. I just think OEL had a partner who could handle more minutes. Myers, for as much heat as he takes at times, can eat minutes. If we didn't have OEL we probably would have found a better option then Schenn to be playing with Hughes, therefore leading to more 5on5.

That's at least my take.

How good must Quinn be to make Schenn an effective top pairing guy?  Schenn is really a 7th D, who fills in on the bottom pair during injuries.  I think we sometimes forget Quinn’s rookie season when he had an actual high end partner - Tanev.  

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Bo to the Rags?  Kakko + what in return?

Brock, because of his contract, just doesn’t have much value.  Far more likely it’s Garland that’s moved.  

Garland is a better player, playing for less.

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hopefully it's top prospects & high picks coming back.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

That's at least my take.

QH is average to below average, defensively.  OEL and Myers play the hard mins 5v5 because they are the best defensive dmen on the team.  OEL is an outstanding skater, can play physical and is very cerebral in his game.  I love Hughes, but he's not in the same category as OEL defensively, not even close

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Garland is a better player, playing for less.

Agreed, I don't get why anyone includes Garland in trade talk.  He's a play driver, he's got more grit than BB and he's cost controlled and plays to his contract.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1