The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

55 minutes ago, JM_ said:

oh it's been stirred. 

Dunno, a lot of us are passionate about our positions on it for sure. Its interesting to see the different parameters people have at least. 

End of the day whatever happens I just want it to be good value and building to something. 

I've been 100% on the trade Miller bandwagon but this is the time where I'm starting to realize more what our team will be like without him. Could definitely be a step back and then I also imagine a year of defending myself over the decision and what that looks like on the other end.

Like you said though we're all just passionate Canucks fans for the most part. I too just want the best for the team whatever happens.

• Cheers 2

30 minutes ago, mll said:

The latest is they haven't been in consistent contact with Malkin since the initial talks and they're a little ways apart on term with Letang

May be an opening 

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2378840/report-pens-not-speaking-regularly-with-malkin-2-years-apart-in-letang-talks

Edited by Coconuts

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

The latest is they haven't been in consistent contact with Malkin since the initial talks and they're a little ways apart on term with Letang

May be an opening 

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2378840/report-pens-not-speaking-regularly-with-malkin-2-years-apart-in-letang-talks

Josh Yohe, Penguins' beat writer for The Athletic says that several agents have told him that based on discussions with Hextall, they feel that Malkin won't be back in Pittsburgh.  Some of his sources in the organisation also feel the same way.

Yohe also writes:  "I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: The Fenway Group isn’t interested in any kind of rebuild. This is an ownership group that wants to win right now. Expect plenty of transactions this summer."

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I've been 100% on the trade Miller bandwagon but this is the time where I'm starting to realize more what our team will be like without him. Could definitely be a step back and then I also imagine a year of defending myself over the decision and what that looks like on the other end.

Like you said though we're all just passionate Canucks fans for the most part. I too just want the best for the team whatever happens.

I mean we added two top scorers from other top leagues. His minuets will go to other guys. Not a big deal honestly. If 1 player makes such a big difference on the ice.. We need to point our finger at all the other 17 guys on that bench

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, AC Readership said:

That doesn't move the needle except for the 23 1st.

I think BB/Garland could get Marino or someone better straight up 1 for 1

Remember, whoever you get in return doesn't mean that's the end of the line, Could also flip some of that stuff to fill positional needs in other deals 

• Vintage 1

31 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Miller settling in nicely to his new home.

I just hope they aren’t overvaluing prospects that they scouted from their Pittsburgh days.

I look at Pittsburgh and I don’t see a lot of great pieces that help us.

Obviously Marino and a 1st is a good start but it’s not nearly enough to set this team up or replace what Miller brought to the team.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I just hope they aren’t overvaluing prospects that they scouted from their Pittsburgh days.

I look at Pittsburgh and I don’t see a lot of great pieces that help us.

Obviously Marino and a 1st is a good start but it’s not nearly enough to set this team up or replace what Miller brought to the team.

#21 & 23' 1st

It would be masterful if they traded Miller for a nice haul, and still made the playoffs. I think they can do it.  I believe Pettersson and Boeser will have a big year.

And not just making the playoffs next year - every year. The team will be younger and not have $50 million tied up in a 30+ year old. Maybe in a couple of years they'll be able to afford to bring in a ringer at the TDL for their push.  IMO re-signing Miller is bad asset management and they'll be in that same spot in a few years of having an aging veteran making too much money. He certainly won't be getting a hundred points a year in his 30s. Middle 6 player on a contender. Trade him, let's get rich with assets.  

Just now, DeNiro said:

I thought JR and Allvin said they don’t want picks.

They want young guys that can help now.

I think Marino and Poulin would be the the main pieces.

Why would you not want picks. At the very least it's trade bait. All 31 other teams want picks. Most of those teams have atleast 1 guy we would want. If Hagel can be trash and get 2 firsts so can Miller 

13 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Remember, whoever you get in return doesn't mean that's the end of the line, Could also flip some of that stuff to fill positional needs in other deals 

Of course!

I just don't see Pittsburgh as a good trading partner for Miller.

1 minute ago, AC Readership said:

Of course!

Same, but I also think they are one of  like 4 teams who would give him 8+ over 7 years without batting an eye. Maybe they are willing to give up a little more than the next guy. 

Gosh I want the fireworks to start already lol

• Cheers 2

30 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

May be an opening 

35 year old Letang wants a 5 year contract at 8M per to age 40 and folks here freaking out about our best player potentially having a contract at around same salary to age 37. 

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

35 year old Letang wants a 5 year contract at 8M per to age 40 and folks here freaking out about our best player potentially having a contract at around same salary to age 37. 

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

Yeah, that's a no from me for Letang. 5 year contract that brings him to 40 years old? No thanks. I don't need a crystal ball to tell you that will be an anchor contract for the team moving forward. 

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, AC Readership said:

Of course!

Yeah, me too. Not enough quality assets in return for Miller. I still think the Rangers are a good trading partner, if they would actually give quality pieces coming back. If not, I see L.A. as being a team that has a lot of prospects as well that could help this team. NJ? Maybe? Columbus? Possibly

Well, it's officially silly season, so all the rumours out there are well, silly. 

When's the draft again? Two weeks out? The closer we get to that, the crazier the rumours will be. 

21 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Why would you not want picks. At the very least it's trade bait. All 31 other teams want picks. Most of those teams have atleast 1 guy we would want. If Hagel can be trash and get 2 firsts so can Miller 

Picks are lottery tickets.

Sure you could flip them but I think their preference would be to target good young players in the Miller trade rather than be forced to make a series of trades.

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, me too. Not enough quality assets in return for Miller. I still think the Rangers are a good trading partner, if they would actually give quality pieces coming back. If not, I see L.A. as being a team that has a lot of prospects as well that could help this team. NJ? Maybe? Columbus? Possibly

Well, it's officially silly season, so all the rumours out there are well, silly. 

When's the draft again? Two weeks out? The closer we get to that, the crazier the rumours will be. 

A trade with an extension in place typically has a better return than for a 1-year rental.  Miller gets to decide whether he wants to extend with interested teams. Picks upon re-signing are no longer allowed.