The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

2 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Winnipeg offers rich young players in the tip top shape of their physical career and pockets full of cash, the excellent museum of human rights, three good restaurants, and a couple of  bars where if the crowd isn’t in one, they’re in the other.

New York is a tetramall from downtown to midtown. THOUSANDS. of restaurants of all Worley cultures. 

Idannaaaaaaaaaaa…..

Maybe the PLD is on to something…

It goes both ways. Some guys come from small town farming backgrounds and have no issue with small crap city's like wpg, Infact they may feel poorly about those big cities. PLD is clearly a diva at this point. As a RFA your rights are limited for a reason. Actively not trying in games when with clb now now telling wpg I'm not signing.

He wants to be a big market star without having to prove hes a true profession, It is what it is. Onto NYR he goes? 

4 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Why not just sign Miller…

Why when you have one of the shiniest toys in the sandbox would ever want to exchange it for three smaller toys?

Why not add assets to Improve the team while also bringing in the same level of production when healthy for a lesser cost? The Malkin effect on our Russians could do wonders for them? You never know but it's the far from a bad idea 

14 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Because

1) you maintain flexibility in the long term, when Miller's contract might be an issue.

2) it's a shakeup to the team/culture

3) you replace the production (or close enough to it) AND get a haul of assets. 

1. This is going to be an ongoing problem for every team in the league. It is part of the game. We’re talking over 500+ points left in Miller in the next 3-4 years. 

2. What culture are you looking to change? A .638 winning percentage under the coach they replaced before replacing the entire management team with Cup winners? The team that started to play louder than Miller’s swearbegging to the universe for another system than Green’s? You want to replace that guy? The guy who won the culture change on the ice. He offended you with swear words?

3. So you’re a bank robber. What’s the colour of your bandana? You don’t easily replace the chemistry that produces 99 points on the top line. That doesn’t happen. You’re looking for a Kumbaya ride down fantasyland where all incoming players contribute?

Who brings in a veteran winning coach who himself admits is good for the next four years, hires a Cup winning management team, hires winning hockey women in that management team, only to take a few step back in years to be better by the time our top young players are slowed by father times?

Who does that.

Edited by Me_

As the Sharks finish making their pick. "You're gonna wanna hear this. We have a trade to announce"

JT Miller to Columbus for the #12, Andrew Peeke and Liam Foudy

Okay, might not be this, but I think Miller could be dealt at the Draft

• Cheers 3

14 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

JT Miller is better than Fiala.

Faber>Lundkvist

LA Kings 1rst>NYR 1rst 

And Chytil is limited offensively and can’t win facoffs he’s looking like a bottom 6 winger. I’d honestly rather have Faber, LA’s 1rst and the cap space then Lundkvist, NYR 1rst and Chytil.

One of the 6 people so far who watch another teams!!! #RARESPOTTING

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

JT Miller is better than Fiala.

Faber>Lundkvist

LA Kings 1rst>NYR 1rst 

And Chytil is limited offensively and can’t win facoffs he’s looking like a bottom 6 winger. I’d honestly rather have Faber, LA’s 1rst and the cap space then Lundkvist, NYR 1rst and Chytil.

Well, Faber's already been traded to Minny anyways. 

So moot point right. 

11 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

As the Sharks finish making their pick. "You're gonna wanna hear this. We have a trade to announce"

JT Miller to Columbus for the #12, Andrew Peeke and Liam Foudy

Okay, might not be this, but I think Miller could be dealt at the Draft

I think he's going to be dealt at the draft. It's becoming more and more apparent and obvious that he's going to be dealt sooner rather than later. Doesn't seem like there's any positive talk about Miller and a new deal, and the narrative through the media seems to be that the team and the player are far apart in a deal. So I would not be surprised if Miller is traded during draft day, which is coming up pretty soon. About a week's time. 

Dreger is saying that there's a long list of teams. I'm not convinced if there are, so we'll see. 

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I must say, every time you post in this thread it makes me grin because nobody on this site has more credibility than you.

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Aqua's have appointed Deb as executive president of the team.

She says no deal. 

50 Cent Laughing GIFs | Tenor

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

The more I think about Malkin hitting UFA the more I like the idea of getting the haul for JT & bringing Geno in as the replacement.

Sat has mentioned the most the Canucks would be willing to go is 6 years, and Zibanejad is the obvious comparable.

Malkin on the other hand is turning 36 and wouldnt be able to command as much term 

So would u rather 8.5 x 6 for Miller? or maybe, 7.5-8 x 2 for Malkin - plus the package you get for Miller? 

Geno's not a 90-100 pt player at this stage, but was still PPG. And when u talk about building a culture, he's been there before and won't be coming to a team to just collect a paycheck & lose.

I just can't get on board with Malkin, I can't. This is seared into my brain and I view him as having cost us a cup. Insert Mitchell into the lineup instead of Ballard and the Bruins don't score as many goals.

20 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

You okay brotha?

Understanding the stages of grief – The Ionian

Edited by Coconuts
  • Haha 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

17 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I just can't get on board with Malkin, I can't. This is seared into my brain and I view him as having cost us a cup. Insert Mitchell into the lineup instead of Ballard and the Bruins don't score as many goals.

Mitchell still played after that. The Canucks knew his medical situation better than LA & the Kings still signed him.

That's on Mike Gillis, not Malkin.

4 hours ago, Harold Drunken said:

Totally agree, the cap space can be freed up with some moves and decisions. Contracts like Myers, Poolman, Dickinson may be hard to move as they are considered a bit rich. Pearson may be the easiest to move if a team see's the value in him. 

The key is to move out the overwhelmingly positive salary like Miller in the first place to get a cuchion. Between that and getting a decent return on Myers, now we don't have other teams holding a cap ceiling "knife" to our throat on guys like Pearson (who has decent'ish value) or more so, Dickenson.

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Mitchell still played after that. The Canucks knew his medical situation better than LA & the Kings still signed him.

That's on Mike Gillis, not Malkin.

Gillis shares some blame, sure, but if Malkin hadn't been concussed he'd have been a no-brainer signing. I seem to recall management being concerned about his health and ability to play going forward. Could be the years making things fuzzy, but hey. 

I do still hold Malkin responsible as well and want nothing to do with him as a Canuck. Mitchell is one of my all-time favourite Canucks and I will not let the Malkin hit go. He wasn't even suspended. 

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Gillis shares some blame, sure, but if Malkin hadn't been concussed he'd have been a no-brainer signing. I seem to recall management being concerned about his health and ability to play going forward. Could be the years making things fuzzy, but hey. 

I do still hold Malkin responsible as well and want nothing to do with him as a Canuck. Mitchell is one of my all-time favourite Canucks and I will not let the Malkin hit go. He wasn't even suspended. 

Fair enough perhaps he should've been suspended, but it wasn't a Matt Cooke headshot.

I blame Gillis for that sequence not Malkin, Mitchell returned & won a cup - prioritizing Ballard is their mistake. And if they didn't blacklist Russians they could've also kept the pick, took Kuznetsov, then maybe the window would've been longer for that core (13-14 he broke in).

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Fair enough perhaps he should've been suspended, but it wasn't a Matt Cooke headshot.

I blame Gillis for that sequence not Malkin, Mitchell returned & won a cup - prioritizing Ballard is their mistake. And if they didn't blacklist Russians they could've also kept the pick, took Kuznetsov, then maybe the window would've been longer for that core (13-14 he broke in).

It wasn't, but it was a super ugly hit. 

Gillis did some solid things and almost got over the hump, but like Benning a lot of things went sideways. Both GM's are responsible for the mess we've been watching for most of the last eight years, and for the state of the team and organizational depth too. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, R3aL said:

There’s no world brock boeser doesn’t get you a 1st round pick minimum in a trade. High second? Common. He’s a proven nhl 25 scorer that is still younger and had potential to be more. That doesn’t get you just a second round pick.

im not arguing for him to be worth a top 5 pick too just wanted to make that clear. But his trade value def would include a first round pick. 

I'd take a good prospect, and a 2nd (a similar, if lesser return than Fiala). "Faber" equivalent and a 2nd.

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Seeing how NYR is now reportedly interested in Dubois (who may be a better fit in general), LA getting Fiala, and Washington considering Kadri, some options are potentially drying up. The bidding war may not be as big as I had first thought it would be. Should be interesting how things shake out in the next week. 

Keep in mind that the teams looking to add guys are also seeing their options dry up. So while there may be a couple less suitors, the remaining teams options on are quickly dwindling. They'll start to get desperate to ensure they're not left without a seat when the music stops.

1 hour ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Yuck. In the grand scheme of things yes you want guys who can  play right now. But it doesn't need to be from the initial Miller trade. 

I would 100000000x rather get picks then waste a dime of cap space on bear. 3/4 of the league who don't want Miller, Would want draft picks. You flip those picks from the initial Miller trade to target literally any player in the league.

Media needs to learn this. It's not hard to understand

This is what Thomas Drance is constantly saying, so not sure why you're going after the media.

As for picks vs players, it sounds like that's coming from management. Not a rebuild, sounds like they're after a restructure  though.

3 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

The problem for NYR is the cap space to sign him long term, if they could figure that out it's a no brainer.

Zibanejad & Miller long term is a great top 6 center duo. 

I think they have it figured out kind of thats why they were making offers for him originally. Agree he's a big upgrade over Strome as 2C.