The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

6 minutes ago, BureBurrito said:

I think it's going to boil down to these teams if there's ANY interest left OR Canucks keep a value and lock him in for a 6 year term

New Jersey

Columbus (have prospects to trade)

Philly

Pittsburgh

I have to think Philly is going to do something desperate to avoid coming back with another horrid season...(didn't Torts have Miller in NYR too?)

To Vancouver: Konency, Sanheim, JVR (cap dump), Gauthier (Miller-lite propsect) and a conditional pick

To Philly: Miller, Myers (no retainer), DiPietro and a pick

Tortorella had Miller when Miller was young - and Tortorella did what he does with most young players: wasted their development years with his rigidity.

56 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Probably the best thing for this team next year is for it to crap the bed.

Someone go tell Demko to take it easy next year. 

Yeah that’s genius. Let’s burn another year of cheap contract off our 3 ELITE, ESTABLISHED and YOUNG players (EP, QH, TD), as well as waste another year of Bo at a decent cap hit, all because our D needs a couple fixes.

oh! almost forgot we have an ASSET that also beat out our 2nd top scorer by 30 pts last season, who is also on a dirt cheap value contract, that we can do whatever we want with. 

yes, indeed, let’s potentially waste another year of invaluable playoff experience for all of our young players, because the only thing that matters in this world is accumulating risky draft picks - not actually competing for anything of substance and, in doing so, establishing a winners mentality.

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

27 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I'm just trying to meet your level of hyperbole. 

Do u think they'll be forced to take a massive underpayment, or sign him to a bad deal?

To be honest, in a way I am. 
JR doesn’t necessarily have the greatest trading record.  
Also, I think they blew it last deadline, when they should have known they weren’t a real contender.  
They should have traded him then.  
They went for it and failed, like most of us knew they would. 

They haven’t earned my trust yet, so yeah I could say I kind of expect them to mess it up.  

I personally think they should slap a 50% off sticker on him, call him a 1 year rental.  
Take the best offer and continue to build towards the near future.  

Im not going to make a suggestion as to what I think the return would be, because IMO, most proposals make people look dumb. 

30 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Yeah that’s genius. Let’s burn another year of cheap contract off our 3 ELITE, ESTABLISHED and YOUNG players (EP, QH, TD), as well as waste another year of Bo at a decent cap hit, all because our D needs a couple fixes.

oh! almost forgot we have an ASSET that also beat out our 2nd top scorer by 30 pts last season, who is also on a dirt cheap value contract, that we can do whatever we want with. 

yes, indeed, let’s potentially waste another year of invaluable playoff experience for all of our young players, because the only thing that matters in this world is accumulating risky draft picks - not actually competing for anything of substance and, in doing so, establishing a winners mentality.

So? We ain't winning the cup next year. End of the day that is all that matters.

Take the L next season, hope for some lottery luck, but most importantly force management hands to sell for prospects and young roaster players with our good players that don’t lineup with the peak window of Petey and Hughes instead of letting them walk for nothing like Gaudreau.  

2 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

So? We ain't winning the cup next year. End of the day that is all that matters.

Take the L next season, hope for some lottery luck, but most importantly force management hands to sell for prospects and young roaster players with our good players that don’t lineup with the peak window of Petey and Hughes instead of letting them walk for nothing like Gaudreau.  

Ummm, no. Keep trying to win and get into playoffs. Time to start climbing the ladder. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

A nice target for 3C could be Faska but Dallas likes him a lot I’ve heard. Solid two-way player but not really offensive. They could be interested in Myers since they missed out on Burns but probably not at his full cap hit. They have a couple big RFAs they need to re-sign. Faska is like 3.25M for 3 years. 

I'd have interest in Faksa. Would also like Dellandrea from DAL.

1 minute ago, 24K PureCool said:

And how did that strategy work for us the past half decade?

We are now stuck with OEL, and Myers eating into our cap without making the playoffs.

Doesn't matter. You need to keep forging forward, keep trying to get better. That's sports. I'd agree if we were bottom two or three in the NHL,  but we aren't. You get in the playoffs and go. 

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

Doesn't matter. You need to keep forging forward, keep trying to get better. That's sports. I'd agree if we were bottom two or three in the NHL,  but we aren't. You get in the playoffs and go. 

JR says 50% of our wins were because of Demko stealing the games.  So, really we are a bottom of the league team.  

I've been pretty impressed so far with the additions of Kuzmenko, Mikheyev and Lazar. I think Petey and Boeser are going to have their best year yet, looks like Miller will be staying. The forwards look good on paper and they have world class goaltending, so anything is possible next season. That D is worrisome though. Maybe JR/PA manage to bring in another RD by way of a trade? If they can improve the D, they might surprise some people, a full season of Boudreau. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, rekker said:

That is good mentality if we don't have this thing called a salary cap. 

We locked ourselves from improving and forging forward with 'I'm just hapoy to make yue show' mentality and need to take a step back to reset this whole thing. 

6 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

And how did that strategy work for us the past half decade?

We are now stuck with OEL, and Myers eating into our cap without making the playoffs.

Benning was awful.  But has the philosophy (direction from our owner to management) changed?  Seems like we will try to get better every year while changing some players.  What’s different is these new people are more like Gillis and will make moves that actually do make up better.  

11 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

To be honest, in a way I am. 
JR doesn’t necessarily have the greatest trading record.  
Also, I think they blew it last deadline, when they should have known they weren’t a real contender.  
They should have traded him then.  
They went for it and failed, like most of us knew they would. 

They haven’t earned my trust yet, so yeah I could say I kind of expect them to mess it up.  

I personally think they should slap a 50% off sticker on him, call him a 1 year rental.  
Take the best offer and continue to build towards the near future.  

Im not going to make a suggestion as to what I think the return would be, because IMO, most proposals make people look dumb. 

Hindsight is always a benefit.

Maybe add into the mix that they couldn’t discuss extension with JTM until this offseason, so essentially had to wait to determine that.

like I said in my previous post, ppl can crap all over the club for wanting to try a playoff run. But as a fan, that’s what I want to see. I want the young leaders to get every chance at a taste of the postseason that they can get because it invariably will be beneficial when this club finally becomes a regular playoff participant. 

it’s funny, everybody plans/expects for 2-3 years time when our draft picks or prospects will come in to their own or that the future always has more opportunity than the now. It’s not the case. 

we have some amazing players under contracts, a coach with a winning pedigree, and youth who have already taken on the mantle of leadership and excelled.  With a new voice they went from swirling around the toilet bowl to a climbing back into a wildcard spot  while competing against teams who never faced the same deficit to rebound from. 

why do people continue to discount the success of all of this? “Oh, we’re mired in mediocrity” No we aren’t. We were under Green. This is a different team with him deposed and context matters, especially when it’s recent.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Benning was awful.  But has the philosophy (direction from our owner to management) changed?  Seems like we will try to get better every year while changing some players.  What’s different is these new people are more like Gillis and will make moves that actually do make up better.  

Oh I agree we need new ownership. Aqua was 100% to blame for all the mess we are in right now.

But we are stuck with them unless someone here can prove they did massive tax fraud or something. 

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

Hindsight is always a benefit.

Maybe add into the mix that they couldn’t discuss extension with JTM until this offseason, so essentially had to wait to determine that.

like I said in my previous post, ppl can crap all over the club for wanting to try a playoff run. But as a fan, that’s what I want to see. I want the young leaders to get every chance at a taste of the postseason that they can get because it invariably will be beneficial when this club finally becomes a regular playoff participant. 

it’s funny, everybody plans/expects for 2-3 years time when our draft picks or prospects will come in to their own or that the future always has more opportunity than the now. It’s not the case. 

we have some amazing players under contracts, a coach with a winning pedigree, and youth who have already taken on the mantle of leadership and excelled.  With a new voice they went from swirling around the toilet bowl to a climbing back into a wildcard spot  while competing against teams who never faced the same deficit to rebound from. 

why do people continue to discount the success of all of this? “Oh, we’re mired in mediocrity” No we aren’t. We were under Green. This is a different team with him deposed and context matters, especially when it’s recent.

We discount it cause Petey till this day did not show us consistent superstar play that can challenge for the art Ross or hart. 

Boeser not even a shadow of his rookie year self and Bo and Garland was a ghost for art of games last year. 

Only player to show up consistently last year was Miller, Hughes, and Demko.

We just don't have the receipt right now to give us confidence that this core is ready to contend. 

Also our fire drills in our own zone and pk even after Bruce also ain't helping.