The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Kinda ridiculous really.

How are some people still thinking it was the players?? They proved it was the coach pretty emphatically.

It could also be when you have OEL and Myers combining for 14 million dollars and 40 points, Luke Schenn on your top pair, Alex Chaisson on your first PP 

Elite goalie, 100 point player, Captain scored 30, no injuries, still missed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BureBurrito said:

I think it's going to boil down to these teams if there's ANY interest left OR Canucks keep a value and lock him in for a 6 year term

New Jersey

Columbus (have prospects to trade)

Philly

Pittsburgh

I have to think Philly is going to do something desperate to avoid coming back with another horrid season...(didn't Torts have Miller in NYR too?)

To Vancouver: Konency, Sanheim, JVR (cap dump), Gauthier (Miller-lite propsect) and a conditional pick

To Philly: Miller, Myers (no retainer), DiPietro and a pick

Again, I still think the Avs are a good fit and they'll be looking to move girard

• Cheers 1

Just now, King Loui said:

It could also be when you have OEL and Myers combining for 14 million dollars and 40 points, Luke Schenn on your top pair, Alex Chaisson on your first PP 

OEL and Myers' value isn't counted in points.  Both players earn their contracts and it will cost just as much to replace them.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I disagree completely. If it was Frankie's vision JR would've never signed on.

The pattern with ownership IMO is they step aside early on in the new GM's tenure, then later on if things go off the rails start to get progressively more involved.

I don't think Frankie was telling Gillis what to do until he was asked to retain money on Luongo, then after he had to go to Lu's house to tell him he was still a Canuck he became much more involved. 

I never understand why people get so worked up.aboyt ownership having a say........he's the boss, he pays everyone so of course he wants things done to his vision.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I disagree completely. If it was Frankie's vision JR would've never signed on.

The pattern with ownership IMO is they step aside early on in the new GM's tenure, then later on if things go off the rails start to get progressively more involved.

I don't think Frankie was telling Gillis what to do until he was asked to retain money on Luongo, then after he had to go to Lu's house to tell him he was still a Canuck he became much more involved. 

You can disagree all you like, but the history of our owner is he gets rid of management that wants to rebuild.  So he wouldn’t have hired JR if that was the direction JR said was needed.  Our owner set the direction.  It’s his vision.  He hired people to fulfil his vision.  

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It’s not my choice, but I would like us to do a retool around Petey and Hughes.  But clearly our owner has directed management to keep moving forward and do t take any steps back.  So we might see Miller here until July 2023 when he walks.

Do you recall EP saying he wants to play with a team that competes?

do you not see that a retool is already in effect?

Do you want to risk steps backwards, with the potential to slip further back than expected, only to see our leaders potentially look elsewhere come contract time? 

the only option we really have at this moment, considering the value contracts we own, is to dig in where we are and push forward. We may have to adjust footing in doing so, but to cut out the insulation that supports our top players  - and instead fill it with young unproven youth - does nothing for them but turns them into hand holders for the next generation of leadership. 

we should continue to insulate our leaders and give them every chance for the playoffs, because the silent benefit of all that is they become far more valuable as an asset to us, and to the rest of league if we eventually decide to trade. 

Edited by RWJC

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

OEL and Myers' value isn't counted in points.  Both players earn their contracts and it will cost just as much to replace them.

OEL doesn't make 7.25 to be good defensively and score 30 points, he makes that to be good defensively and score 50.   You can replace what he does with a 5 million dollar player

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

This is what will happen if you continue to waste years of their prime. Quinn Hughes is signed for 5 more years, he'll be 27 when he hits the open market (prime age to cash in). Demko is signed for 4 more.

Look at the step back this team took after they lost core guys like Markstrom/Tanev/Toffoli/Stecher after the bubble & made the locker room a toxic environment. You can't do risk again or this core has no chance.

If you waste 3 more years of Quinn's deal trying to get this thing off the ground, he's going to New Jersey. JT Miller may very well line up better with his window than Lekkerimaki, nevermind whom ever they draft next year w/ additional picks. 

now someone is talking sense 

4 minutes ago, King Loui said:

It’s pretty clear we have a few elite players who carried a crap supporting cast.  Hughes had a great year playing 5 on 5 with Luke Schenn!  Demko stood on his head or we didn’t win.  Miller was amazing.  

Miller will almost certainly decline.  We just can’t try to keep this group together and expect then to be winners.

we need 2 top D to play with Hughes and OEL.  

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, Alflives said:

JR says 50% of our wins were because of Demko stealing the games.  So, really we are a bottom of the league team.  

Maybe, and even if that is fact. You try to get better and have Demko steal only 30 percent this year. You just keep trying to get better. Imho.

Edited by rekker
  • Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, King Loui said:

OEL doesn't make 7.25 to be good defensively and score 30 points, he makes that to be good defensively and score 50.   You can replace what he does with a 5 million dollar player

He makes $7m to be a defenceman, which he does very very well.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

I never understand why people get so worked up.aboyt ownership having a say........he's the boss, he pays everyone so of course he wants things done to his vision.

Because its been long thought they insert themselves into hockey decisions that have turned out poorly. 

Its good they hold management accountable, but you should consider firing them instead of grabbing the wheel when it comes to hockey decisions.

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You can disagree all you like, but the history of our owner is he gets rid of management that wants to rebuild.  So he wouldn’t have hired JR if that was the direction JR said was needed.  Our owner set the direction.  It’s his vision.  He hired people to fulfil his vision.  

I don't think JR knew the direction he wanted to go, its why they took so long last year evaluating. JR wasn't sure if he wanted the job originally.

If JR wasn't given autonomy to take the team any direction he wanted, he wouldn't have come here. Aqua's vision is a Stanley Cup, Frankie only gets involved in the hockey ops when he feels things are going off the rails. 

9 minutes ago, JM_ said:

now someone is talking sense 

I'm like 65-35 trade Miller, but I don't think you can take steps backward here. Hughes/Petey/Demko/Horvat are into their prime right now.

This management group understands the process, & wants to untangle prior commitments to build around them properly.

If they had more cap space they would be using it, not trying to re-build. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

This is what will happen if you continue to waste years of their prime. Quinn Hughes is signed for 5 more years, he'll be 27 when he hits the open market (prime age to cash in). Demko is signed for 4 more.

Look at the step back this team took after the bubble when they lost core guys like Markstrom/Tanev/Toffoli/Stecher & made the locker room a toxic environment. You can't risk that again or this core has no chance.

If you waste 3 more years of Quinn's deal trying to get this thing off the ground, he's going to New Jersey.

JT Miller may very well line up better with his window than Lekkerimaki, nevermind whom ever they draft next year w/ additional picks. 

Fair enough. Well doesn't really matter what I think but I just personally gonna be a ok with taking a step back next year.

Maybe it is just me being frustrated with lack of player movement but have a feeling this core have it against them either way. 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Because its been long thought they insert themselves into hockey decisions that have turned out poorly. 

Its good they hold management accountable, but you should consider firing them instead of grabbing the wheel when it comes to hockey decisions.

I don't think JR knew the direction he wanted to go, its why they took so long last year evaluating. JR wasn't sure if he wanted the job originally.

If JR wasn't given autonomy to take the team any direction he wanted, he wouldn't have come here. Aqua's vision is a Stanley Cup, Frankie only gets involved in the hockey ops when he feels things are going off the rails. 

I do t think so.  IMHAO our owner sets the direction/vision, and management tries their best to follow that direction.  The direction is to try a keep improving and win a Cup.  JR/Allvin have full autonomy to accomplish that directive from the owner, when it comes to how to do it.  Just so long as the club continues to make steps forward.  No stepping back.  It’s why we signed Mikheyev.  It’s why Benning signed Little Things.  Always try to get better while changing pieces.  

Miller is going to get traded, I hope, by the 2023 TDL.  But there is our owner’s vision.  

11 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

And yet everytime Aqua grabs the wheel, it not just go off the rails, the train freaking explodes. 

Edited by 24K PureCool

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I'm like 65-35 trade Miller, but I don't think you can take steps backward here. Hughes/Petey/Demko/Horvat are into their prime right now.

This management group understands the process, & wants to untangle prior commitments to build around them properly.

If they had more cap space they would be using it, not trying to re-build. 

Agreed. I want assets for JT. But if no one offers up anything of fair value. Ffmm. Let's keep the band together and get to the post season. It gutted me watching the other teams fans this post season. I want that again. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, King Loui said:

Bo, Hughes and Demko and Miller all had career years, we stayed away from injury troubles for once and we still missed the dance

We started the year like 4-26 until Green got fired. That’s why we missed the playoffs.  

• Upvote 2