The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Boeser On Block

Podzilla

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I mean, Brock has never hit either statistic. He’s never scored 30 goals (almost did), and he’s never ever reached 70 points since he’s entered the league.

Yeah 29 goals in 62 games isn't even close to as good as 30 goals in 82 games.calculating the hangover GIF

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

I'm bout to start a fight here.

Boeser is Eberle.  Eberle is Boeser.  Similar types of players with similar skillsets but different strengths.  Complimentary pieces for sure with Boeser getting the edge without much question.

Eberle went for Ryan Strome and everyone and their dog said it was an underwhelming and one sided trade for the Oilers.

But that's a close comparable IMO to what we could/should expect for Boeser.  The only difference is Eberle was traded under a $6 million contract and Boeser will have a $7.5 million QO which to some extent negates his value.

So Boeser for an optically decent former top 5 pick with a short resume which would seem to appear to be a Dobson.  Except with only like 2 cost protected defensemen under contract next year, the Isles are NOT trading one of their only top defensive prospects for an Eberle type player...again

That’s a decent comparable to Eberle. Jordan Eberle’s a good player, and I think Brock is too. But goal scorers get paid, and they’re a premium in the league aren’t they? It’s hard to score goals, so if Boeser can produce, he’d be worth it. I’m not sure what Eberle’s goal scoring stats look like, is his production the same as that of Brock’s? 

15 hours ago, hammertime said:

As much as I love Brock. and I do he seems like a really great classy dude. I think it's fantastic that he is beginning to have success again under BB and maybe even he's a 30+ goal scorer one day. When we're talking about paying 7M ish for a buttery soft maybe 30 goal scorer. I'm pretty wary. I don't care how handsome he is. IMO he's great when he's scoring and when he isn't he isn't really doing anything. Obviously If we manage to fight our way into a playoff position he will stay and probably get a contract. If not I really hope we got a 1st round pick for him at the deadline because his next deal is going to be negative value even as a 30 goal scorer.

Jiricek, Kasper, Gaucher, Chesley, McGroarty, Trikozov, Luneau, Bichsel, Lambert Bystedt. There are some players in that mid to late 1st round that would really complement our core nicely. More so than Brock at 7m ish. 

That’s a myth. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, coryberg said:

Yeah 29 goals in 62 games isn't even close to as good as 30 goals in 82 games.calculating the hangover GIF

Yeah. He scored 29, not 30 goals. So, he came close, but he never actually hit 30 goals in the league. If I’m not mistaken, I think he got injured and fell short, hence why I say one of the reasons for him never scoring 30 goals is because he’s injury prone. He hasn’t been able to stay healthy since he’s been in the league. 

Just now, coryberg said:

You didn't really just make that comparison did you?

I'm just saying it's a start, and you don't know where players end up. 

Ok add some draft picks and prospects. What I'm getting it, Brock can't go just to any team. They have have to have cap space, and the pieces to offer back. 

4 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. He scored 29, not 30 goals. So, he came close, but he never actually hit 30 goals in the league. If I’m not mistaken, I think he got injured and fell short, hence why I say one of the reasons for him never scoring 30 goals is because he’s injury prone. He hasn’t been able to stay healthy since he’s been in the league. 

9 minutes ago, coryberg said:

The thing is there hasn't been a 82 game season in 3 years. He missed a combined 3 games in the past 2 years. 28 over the last 4.

23 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

7M for a 25 goal scorer seems a little steep to me. 7M for 30 goals, I’d do. 

Boeser has basically been producing at about a 50-55 point clip. That’s, what, top six production, isn’t it? He’s never surpassed 60 points in his career, though he’s come close. I think that’s partly because he’s never been able to remain healthy in his career to date. He’s never been able to play a full 82 game season since he’s entered the league. I think even in his rookie year he was injured and has been since that time, hasn’t he? 

So I’m not sure if he’s going to get what he’s asking for from the Canucks, which could lead to either 1. His desire to remain here and taking less for more term and security, or 2. He’s probably on the trade block and the end of his Canuck career here, or 3. He signs another bridge deal to prove his worth, and get more money after that, at which case he’d probably just walk into free agency and we lose him for nothing (might be relational damage if he signs another bridge deal). 

There was a comparison to Eberle in this thread that I think is fair…

And I think for Boeser to stay in Vancouver an agreement to play for less has to be made before his UFA .  Or he is traded for an outstanding physical D man.

I can’t see Boeser being offered more than 6m to stay..  I think it’s 5.5.  To.  5.75.

but the benefits of acquiring a player that helps us at another position may outweigh all of this.

4 hours ago, SilentSam said:

There was a comparison to Eberle in this thread that I think is fair…

And I think for Boeser to stay in Vancouver an agreement to play for less has to be made before his UFA .  Or he is traded for an outstanding physical D man.

I can’t see Boeser being offered more than 6m to stay..  I think it’s 5.5.  To.  5.75.

but the benefits of acquiring a player that helps us at another position may outweigh all of this.

I can’t really see Brock taking 5.5M to 5.75M. That’s a little on the shorter end. Although I’d love for management to get him on that deal, I don’t think Brock will take it. 

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I can’t really see Brock taking 5.5M to 5.75M. That’s a little on the shorter end. Although I’d love for management to get him on that deal, I don’t think Brock will take it. 

Why would he?  His qualifying offer is way more than that.

He either gets $7 million + or gets to be a UFA early and auction himself off to the highest bidder.

The Mackinnon thing where a star player signs a really team friendly deal and doesn’t care about his agent or the PA getting mad at him is really rare.  

3 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Has he shown anything since his rookie campaign that would indicate he is worth more than he is currently makin? I'd say no.

Edited by hammertime
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

Has he shown anything since his rookie campaign that would indicate he is worth more than he is currently makin? I'd say no.

I would say his team leading 23 goals and 49 points in 56 games with only a -3 on a terrible team last year would beg to differ.  Boeser was an absolute beast last year.  Yes, he has had a bad start to the year, but that shouldn't discredit his prior years.  And he's also looked good the last 5-6 games since Boudreau has taken over as well.

38 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

Boeser was an absolute beast last year.  

"Absolute beast" You're kidding right. Kesler was a beast, Bertuzzi = Beast, Connor F'n Garland beast, Linden beast, 

Brock is putting nothing and nobody on his back ever. Everyone else has to do all the heavy lifting for him for him to have success. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1