The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Boeser On Block

Podzilla

4 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Something happened between Green and Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser and Miller.

Glad it’s over and the team is firing on all cylinders.

Yea the players realized Green’s system was not fitting their roster.

You can only go out there and do the same thing so many times and fail before you start to quit.

Ownership dragging their feet making a move ended up killing these guys confidence. They only now seem to be regaining it.

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Me_ said:

I'm not sure I buy that. 

To a man they had Greens back in Greens departure. All of them tip toed every single presser so as not to throw a hint of shade at Greener. 

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Lesson #1. You don't trade for a right handed d-man unless it's a crazy good deal, or he's unproven. 

Elite Right Handed D-men are rare. And you usually pay through the nose. 

Cheapest way to get a solid d-man is draft them. You just have to wait a while. 

I think Chesley would be a perfect fit at the draft this year. He's a thicc Boi skates incredibly well in all directions has a sneaky quick release on his shot and plays stay home D.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

sounds like pure speculation and click bait from Frank to me. Rutherford also said Brock is the kind of guy you want to keep, and that there are other possible moves to clear cap that don't include the core players. 

Not questioning you and you don't have to dig up a quote - but when did he say that? I like Boeser but see him as a bad fit for what the team needs going forward both regarding cap hit and playing style. So it would surprise me to see JR endorse him as he's more of a final piece you'd like when being an actual contender. 

Of course he might have said it to up the trade value ;-)

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

sounds like pure speculation and click bait from Frank to me. Rutherford also said Brock is the kind of guy you want to keep, and that there are other possible moves to clear cap that don't include the core players. 

He's a pretty connected guy, but now is the time where those in the business are all pushing to put out information. They're in the media business after all. I think it's worth taking with a grain of salt.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Keep or trade, Brock is the guy they need to figure out first.  He's the one with a contract coming due.  If a trade is to happen, I'd put money down that it would be Boeser first.

Miller can wait.  Other teams know Miller is available, if they want him, they can come with their best offer.  There's no need for JR/PA to making the phone calls right now.

I think they figure out Brock first, but they've still got time to get a deal done. Also depends on which moves take place in the near future. If, for example, Giroux goes to an eastern contender that isn't Florida or New York I could see things ramp up on Miller. It's a fluid thing, which is why I think patience is the best move. 

33 minutes ago, Me_ said:

I'm not sold on that, I'm really not. I was advocating for Green and Baumgartner to go, and for Bruce to be hired, but it wasn't all on the coaching staff. The players you've mentioned all contributed to how the season went prior to Green's departure, some of how this season has gone is squarely on the back of the players as well. Obviously Miller's been more productive, even under Green, but he's still part of this group that hasn't been good enough. 

I'm all for blaming the coaching staff, as they had a significant part in how the first few months of the season went, but I think some folks are too quick to excuse the players. 

And we aren't firing on all cylinders. Not really. Obviously over the last month and a half we've had games where we've lit teams up, but we've also only had seven games with three goals or more in the sixteen games we've played this calendar year, and only four of those have been games that featured four or more goals. We've consistently been a two or three goals per game team since the beginning of January. 

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I think they figure out Brock first, but they've still got time to get a deal done. Also depends on which moves take place in the near future. If, for example, Giroux goes to an eastern contender that isn't Florida or New York I could see things ramp up on Miller. It's a fluid thing, which is why I think patience is the best move. 

I've heard Giroux wants to go West... so that won't help.  He listed the Avs, St Louis, and I believe Minny as the 3 teams on his 'list'.

Just now, HKSR said:

I've heard Giroux wants to go West... so that won't help.  He listed the Avs, St Louis, and I believe Minny as the 3 teams on his 'list'.

I heard that too, but there's been denial on that front as of yesterday. Now, one can take denial how they will this time of year, but it's still worth noting.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/flyers-giroux-trade-rumours-im-committed-team/

26 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I heard that too, but there's been denial on that front as of yesterday. Now, one can take denial how they will this time of year, but it's still worth noting.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/flyers-giroux-trade-rumours-im-committed-team/

Yeah, I dunno... it was pretty specific with the 3 teams listed originally lol. 

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yeah, I dunno... it was pretty specific with the 3 teams listed originally lol. 

Perhaps, but Friedman and Marek also make a good point about his 1000th game coming up. I'd be surprised if he's gone before then, if he moves at all. Deadline is March 21st. 

Maybe he moves, maybe he doesn't. Maybe sticking with one team means more to him than a cup, we don't know. He could easily just sign a cheaper extention if Philly were open to it, which I think they probably would be. He's still be a productive player these last few seasons.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Yea the players realized Green’s system was not fitting their roster.

You can only go out there and do the same thing so many times and fail before you start to quit.

Ownership dragging their feet making a move ended up killing these guys confidence. They only now seem to be regaining it.

I like that Pettersson got hit hard. He was arrogant. Now he looks like he’s enjoying playing and not taking anything for granted.

Nice to see Boeser figure out his shooting again. I feel his struggles were more normal than Pettersson’s.

Horvat I command highly. He didn’t make a fuss of anything and kept working hard hard hard.

But Miller. I think Miller was a muted voice under Green and the frustration of knowing you can do immensely more but your boss doesn’t let you; that can lead to serious frustrations at work. Now that he’s been unleashed, well his record speaks for itself.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

I'm not sure I buy that. 

To a man they had Greens back in Greens departure. All of them tip toed every single presser so as not to throw a hint of shade at Greener. 

Yeah that’s professionalism. Comes with making millions.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Me_ said:

I like that Pettersson got hit hard. He was arrogant. Now he looks like he’s enjoying playing and not taking anything for granted.

Nice to see Boeser figure out his shooting again. I feel his struggles were more normal than Pettersson’s.

Horvat I command highly. He didn’t make a fuss of anything and kept working hard hard hard.

But Miller. I think Miller was a muted voice under Green and the frustration of knowing you can do immensely more but your boss doesn’t let you; that can lead to serious frustrations at work. Now that he’s been unleashed, well his record speaks for itself.

Good points.

I think another critical error Benning made was hiring Shaw and not putting him in charge of the D. That made no sense.

So much of our offensive struggles starts with the D. Their ability to retrieve the puck and move it up the ice and out of their zone under Baumgartner was a distaster.

Its still not great but it has definitely improved under Shaw. Guys are making more quick short outlet passes to get out of the zone rather than chipping it off the glass and out or up the middle. That makes a difference.

Benning should have also hired a better powerplay coach but we’ll see if those struggles are more a confidence thing from the players rather than Kings abilities.

• Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Good points.

I think another critical error Benning made was hiring Shaw and not putting him in charge of the D. That made no sense.

So much of our offensive struggles starts with the D. Their ability to retrieve the puck and move it up the ice and out of their zone under Baumgartner was a distaster.

Its still not great but it has definitely improved under Shaw. Guys are making more quick short outlet passes to get out of the zone rather than chipping it off the glass and out or up the middle. That makes a difference.

Benning should have also hired a better powerplay coach but we’ll see if those struggles are more a confidence thing from the players rather than Kings abilities.

Man how many times they dumped and chased and then lost possession for the next few minutes getting pummelled…

Finally this team is getting it done.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Man how many times they dumped and chased and the. Lost possession for the next few minutes getting pummelled…

Finally this team is getting it done.

yet theyre using the dump and chase far more than they did under Green.  They're just doing it better

18 minutes ago, stawns said:

yet theyre using the dump and chase far more than they did under Green.  They're just doing it better

Way more aggressive and sending two guys in on the forecheck.

Nothing more frustrating than under Green when they would dump it in, one guy would chase it down, the other team would get it and move it back out without even a sniff of a chance. Rinse and repeat.

Constantly handing the other team the puck and having to retreat to your own zone is exhausting and leads to injuries. Bruce seems to have them being the ones to push the pace much more often (minus last game).

Edited by DeNiro
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Way more aggressive and sending two guys in on the forecheck.

Nothing more frustrating than under Green when they would dump it in, one guy would chase it down, the other team would get it and move it back out without even a sniff of a chance. Rinse and repeat.

Constantly handing the other team the puck and having to retreat to your own zone is exhausting and leads to injuries. Bruce seems to have them being the ones to push the pace much more often (minus last game).

no argument here

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Gotta make the cap work and Van need a RHD...

I know most want Ty smith from NjD but hear me out. what if Jim takes a shot at getting Subban for a cheap deal in the offseason? gets an early head start and it makes the cap work for the specific player I would like.

To Van:

Pk Subban %50 retained

Dawson Mercer

Kevin Bahl 

To NJD:

Brock Boeser

B level Prospect 

I’d take that and run maybe take out subban and the B prospect. Something around Bahl and Boes seems enticing