The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Speaking about leadership

Rate this topic

ibesawesomey

Would have been nice to see Horvat step in like this when Podz was leveled the other day. Glad OEL was there, but boy, that fly-by was brutal. I know Podz mentioned that he was just off-balance and it wasn't that bad, in his recent interview, but would a little eye-for-an-eye from Bo be that hard...

• Vintage 2

46 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Green should understand he's the root of the problem. And show leadership by resigning. 

Honest question.

When was the last time you heard Green actually accept any personal responsibility himself for the annual underachievement in many areas by this team?

Hell, let’s take baby steps and figure out when was the last time he referred to the team as “we” rather than “they”. As in, “They have to do better. They have to find ways to win. Etc.”

• Vintage 3

6 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Neutering = the Green effect on players.   Regardless, of the interviews denying the locker room issues, players apathy toward the coach is showing on the ice.  Imo, the locker room issue, is real and if it wasn't, they would atleast be standing up for each other - despite the standings.

I'm not sure that has much to do with a lot of the teams issues.   Myers isn't "neutered"... he plays the game the way he always has ... third season correct?   Bo Horvat is playing the game how he plays the game.    Losing a lot doesn't create a good culture in the locker room - players hold their sticks too tight, they doubt each other and themselves - sure Green is part of that.    And yes he's no Pat Quin.   Or even Marc Crawford who had no shame in tapping an enforcer on the shoulder or the rough stuff.   But i have no illusions thinking a coaching change is going to all of a sudden make this roster tougher and grittier.   Would take one heck of a coach that's for sure - it's a personnel problem.   Gadj f!ck...why risk waiving a guy like him when the team has very little of that.  Horvat is no Kesler and never will be.   He won't risk his health like he did.   He's maybe he's  a warrior monk lol.   Just a solid player, and he has my loyalty as long as he wears the C. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Neutering = the Green effect on players.   Regardless, of the interviews denying the locker room issues, players apathy toward the coach is showing on the ice.  Imo, the locker room issue, is real and if it wasn't, they would atleast be standing up for each other - despite the standings.

Agreed that is what us beer league hockey players do...and we do it for the love of playing the game, we don't lave up them skates for 6-8 figure salaries!! Sad how soft or SCARED players are to do that nowadays...Charmins throughout the league, NHL should rebrand to ESHL: European Style Hockey League

8 hours ago, Xanlet said:

If a Canuck did that, the ref would figure out a way to put them down 5 - 3 for 7 minutes. I'm not joking, they've done that before.

Probably true.... yet still wish to hell they'd do it...

Sick of being Bambi on ice... If we are going to get slaughtered, lets go down swinging...

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

I'm not sure that has much to do with a lot of the teams issues.   Myers isn't "neutered"... he plays the game the way he always has ... third season correct?   Bo Horvat is playing the game how he plays the game.    Losing a lot doesn't create a good culture in the locker room - players hold their sticks too tight, they doubt each other and themselves - sure Green is part of that.    And yes he's no Pat Quin.   Or even Marc Crawford who had no shame in tapping an enforcer on the shoulder or the rough stuff.   But i have no illusions thinking a coaching change is going to all of a sudden make this roster tougher and grittier.   Would take one heck of a coach that's for sure - it's a personnel problem.   Gadj f!ck...why risk waiving a guy like him when the team has very little of that.  Horvat is no Kesler and never will be.   He won't risk his health like he did.   He's maybe he's  a warrior monk lol.   Just a solid player, and he has my loyalty as long as he wears the C. 

This was the time I lost belief in Green and his system... What is the point drafting big guys just to drop them on the street afterwards... Wanted draft pick/development...

Could maybe understand if they had traded for some muscle, or at least bulked up at the back... yes Rathbone my butt.. No issues with Rathbone, but he will not solve that problem... enough.

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

I get it and good points.  Only way to find out, is for Canuck Brass to admit, that resigning Green to a (baffling) 2yr contract was a mistake.

4 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Agreed that is what us beer league hockey players do...and we do it for the love of playing the game, we don't lave up them skates for 6-8 figure salaries!! Sad how soft or SCARED players are to do that nowadays...Charmins throughout the league, NHL should rebrand to ESHL: European Style Hockey League

Yeah, Ratmans' NHL, is turning into WWE on ice with all the rule changes - that leaves the interpretation on the Zebra.

5 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

It's funny you mention the ESHL (:)) I was thinking about a game I watched years ago, Mtl v's Nordique, at the old Mtl forum.Talk about intense. My brother and I sat in the 1st row in the corner. It as wild and exciting. Fans  were totally engaged. Todays game is a watered down version of what the NHL once was. Many of todays fans have no idea of the way it was. It's about the US market, suburban house wives, and growing the TV audience and little to do with the game. Man games at the old Queens Park Arena when the N.W. Bruins were there under the tutelage of Punch McLean were exciting. There was a scouts room at the end of the arena absolutely crammed and full of cigar smoke, Al Arbour was in the middle in his racoon skin coat  :lol:  Not the same. At Queens Park there was a fan who brought a rubber chicken and had it on a fishing rod, so he could reel it in fast

• Haha 1