The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

12 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

And no, that wasn't a shot at you but I've been banging that drum for months.

haha i know i always think high of horvat and said he needed an opportunity like miller and he could take off.. i mean their career trajectory is very similar.. but i dunno why ppl insist horvat can't have increased production if given the opportunity and have topped out.. his career stats age for age with miller is very similar up until miller got traded to vancouver and got his chance

• Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, aliboy said:

Look, who here doesn't know that Bo has consistently gone stretches without scoring, he's always been streaky!! If anyone doesn't know that, I can't help. The last step in his development is to be more consistent with the scoring and I expect him to make that step. This is not a secret.

Is it really Bo that is the problem when he is not scoring.  He has been given crap wingers for years , plays the shut down roll.   Bo is very under appreciated here ,   For years being the loyal soldier believing in that management knew what they were doing to build a contending team.   Gotta think Bo has given up on Vancouver management  ever turning it around.   Anyways hope he stays. 

• Cheers 3

22 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

He's not miscast. Horvat is a meat and potatoes type of player that every team needs. He can really do everything.

He might want to go to free agency though,.  If he and his agent are thinking top dollar, there’s nothing we can do about that.

I hope he does settle here,  but a major move or moves are imminent,  and probably something I don’t agree is the best move.

… anything can happen .

I hold some thought that the rumour of the Isles scouts following us,.   Lou was apparently trying to make a deal at the draft..

Just because it didn’t happen then, doesn’t mean the interest is gone.

Could be JT, could be Bo, could be Boeser if he ever plays again..

but I’m sure all options need to “show” before a move is made,.  And I don’t think one is made before Boeser proves he can play to his potential.

51 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I believe he is, and have for a long while. Horvat can hold his own defensively and he's a faceoff ace, but his deployment also reflects managements inability to find someone who can capably take more of those defensive/matchup minutes away from him.

He can hold his own but he doesn't resemble anything akin to a Kesler style player imo. He should absolutely be playing more of a primary offensive role, so him getting more balanced deployment is great.

I don't need you to tell me what Horvat is capable of, I was arguing his value all summer long.

I saw Horvat's offensive prowess during the St. Louis series. He obviously had a lot more offensive skill than I ever thought he had.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Vintage 2

24 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

He might want to go to free agency though,.  If he and his agent are thinking top dollar, there’s nothing we can do about that.

I hope he does settle here,  but a major move or moves are imminent,  and probably something I don’t agree is the best move.

… anything can happen .

I hold some thought that the rumour of the Isles scouts following us,.   Lou was apparently trying to make a deal at the draft..

Just because it didn’t happen then, doesn’t mean the interest is gone.

Could be JT, could be Bo, could be Boeser if he ever plays again..

but I’m sure all options need to “show” before a move is made,.  And I don’t think one is made before Boeser proves he can play to his potential.

This is why re-signing Miller was such a tremendous mistake. Horvat should have been given all the money he demanded. The Canucks are nothing without Horvat. They are so bad even with him in the lineup right now. Imagine him bolting. Yuck.

• Cheers 3

Here's how I see things playing out.

Kuzmenko is a 50+ point 20 goal player at the TDL.  Horvat is having the season of his life approaching 30 goals and 30 assists towards the TDL.  Bo comes in asking for $8 million + and Kuzmenko is asking for a short term 2 years $6.5 million deal.

Management is dangling a 45 point Boeser and Pearson hoping anyone will take them but nobody does.

Knowing we have just gone on a decent run and are only 6 points out of a playoff position management goes for it.  Trades this years 2nd and next years 1st for help now banking on LTIR cap space for a 25 year old ish player with a year or two left.  We fail to make the playoffs and Kuzmenko and Horvat are on the cusp of leaving unless their contract demands are met.

This is totally illogical.  I know.  except this has happened a few times in the last few years to this club and this is literally Jimmy Rutherford's MO as he's done exactly this numerous times in his career as GM.

How do you all feel about the likelihood of this happening?  

36 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

We'd be lucky to get a 2nd, and a prospect.

I think that would be the kind of deal I'd be okay with. But we're probably taking a loss with Brock to be honest, if he were to be dealt. 

Allvin and Rutherford have their hands full, and have made their own situation worse by signing Miller. 

What happened to that diverse staff that they were clamoring about? 

This management team is going to continue to face the wrath of the fan base here, partly because a lot of what they're doing seems eerily similar to Benning and Weisbrod days. 

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Here's how I see things playing out.

Kuzmenko is a 50+ point 20 goal player at the TDL.  Horvat is having the season of his life approaching 30 goals and 30 assists towards the TDL.  Bo comes in asking for $8 million + and Kuzmenko is asking for a short term 2 years $6.5 million deal.

Management is dangling a 45 point Boeser and Pearson hoping anyone will take them but nobody does.

Knowing we have just gone on a decent run and are only 6 points out of a playoff position management goes for it.  Trades this years 2nd and next years 1st for help now banking on LTIR cap space for a 25 year old ish player with a year or two left.  We fail to make the playoffs and Kuzmenko and Horvat are on the cusp of leaving unless their contract demands are met.

This is totally illogical.  I know.  except this has happened a few times in the last few years to this club and this is literally Jimmy Rutherford's MO as he's done exactly this numerous times in his career as GM.

How do you all feel about the likelihood of this happening?  

Pretty high for it to happen in my opinion. 

Rutherford doesn't care about the future of this club, he cares about here and now. 

Only problem and issue is that the here and now isn't very good. 

I think we lose Kuzmenko to UFA; we lose Bo to UFA, and then Petey leaves when he can. The tell tale for me is when he's eligible to sign long term, but doesn't, then that's all we need to know about what he feels without him saying anything to anyone. His actions will dictate what his future will be. If he signs long term when he can, then yeah, all is good. But this management team has a fucking ton of work to create a healthier culture than the one that is currently here. 

16 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

This is why re-signing Miller was such a tremendous mistake. Horvat should have been given all the money he demanded. The Canucks are nothing without Horvat. They are so bad even with him in the lineup right now. Imagine him bolting. Yuck.

Yeah. Like I've said before, I think Bo's camp has management at the neck. 

If management trades him, this fanbase will go batshit, if they don't trade him and allow him to walk to UFA for nothing, this fanbase will crucify them. 

Either way, sucks to be Allvin and Rutherford. This ain't Pittsburgh. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Pretty high for it to happen in my opinion. 

Rutherford doesn't care about the future of this club, he cares about here and now. 

Only problem and issue is that the here and now isn't very good. 

I think we lose Kuzmenko to UFA; we lose Bo to UFA, and then Petey leaves when he can. The tell tale for me is when he's eligible to sign long term, but doesn't, then that's all we need to know about what he feels without him saying anything to anyone. His actions will dictate what his future will be. If he signs long term when he can, then yeah, all is good. But this management team has a fucking ton of work to create a healthier culture than the one that is currently here. 

In order of importance

Trading the following this year due to cap implications and an inability to sign them

Horvat.  $8 million EASY for a Bergeron light on the open market.  We can't afford $6.5

Kuzmenko.  We can't afford him and trading him for the highest possible bidder makes the most sense, because again.  We can not afford him.

Pearson.  because, obvious reasons.

Next season.

Myers.

Garland.

Pettersson (if he won't extend his contract here)

Following season.

Miller

Pettersson

This sucks.  Like this absolutely positively frigging sucks.  By not being able to keep horvat we lose one of if not our most dependable and defensively responsible centre.  Losing him will create a domino effect because we literally have nobody remotely close to him in the organization.  the compounding losses will keep us in the bottom and possibly force Pettersson out; as he has already made comments about wanting to play for a contender.

So we stand to essentially lose most of our core under 30 players in the next 2-3 seasons due to either cap attrition or a refusal to sign here due to lack of competitiveness

Way back in the Miller thread, had compared Bo with Linden(relative value at this stage of their careers). With Bo's start, would say it's even closer.

If memory serves me, TL was dealt(what felt strangely) around mid-season. Yet Keenan would flip guys just for the punchline of a joke.

The return set us up for a quarter century of profit. Was very hard to stomach, but it suuure set the table. It was a pre-cap world, but can't help feeling deja vu. Even Isles are recently sniffing about...

7 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Even Miller signed at 8m is an asset to us,

and probably worth more to us as a “signed” asset , than he was “unsigned “

It will be the same for Horvat ..   but pushing it to Free Agency forces the hand of management to move him or lose him for nothing.

Thats just the reality.

Boeser not “showing” / playing right now is a detriment to the teams situation.

There is chemistry between Miller and Horvat at this moment,  the type a team can build around.… and quite frankly I still beleive Miller has better leadership qualities.… 

Horvat is playing well in his approach to FA which is predictable.

I just don’t understand the 6.5 3yr bridge for Boeser.  Sure it was less than his QO at 7.5,  but hindsight now says with KuZ and Mihky playing well , Brock could have walked.

That might have secured both Horvat (if he wants to stay) and left wiggle room .

I don’t think signing Miller was a mistake,.   
the mistake still may possibly happen if he’s moved.

Possibly the same with Horvat,  but I’d rather keep a player who more physically and emotionally engaged in Miller , than Horvat,.

or then a player who is active and contributing in Horvat ,  than Boeser.

I hear Hoglander may be lined up with JT and Bo tonight,   It’s show time for Hogz, and I hope it goes well for him..  but I think it’s more a set up to his trade value until Boeser gets back.

Perhaps Hogz is of interest to the Isles, IF those scouting rumours are true.

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

In order of importance

Trading the following this year due to cap implications and an inability to sign them

Horvat.  $8 million EASY for a Bergeron light on the open market.  We can't afford $6.5

Kuzmenko.  We can't afford him and trading him for the highest possible bidder makes the most sense, because again.  We can not afford him.

Pearson.  because, obvious reasons.

Next season.

Myers.

Garland.

Pettersson (if he won't extend his contract here)

Following season.

Miller

Pettersson

This sucks.  Like this absolutely positively frigging sucks.  By not being able to keep horvat we lose one of if not our most dependable and defensively responsible centre.  Losing him will create a domino effect because we literally have nobody remotely close to him in the organization.  the compounding losses will keep us in the bottom and possibly force Pettersson out; as he has already made comments about wanting to play for a contender.

So we stand to essentially lose most of our core under 30 players in the next 2-3 seasons due to either cap attrition or a refusal to sign here due to lack of competitiveness

So we're entering into a rebuild anyways at that point. Fuck this organization. 

We have the dumbest owner by far in the league. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

I don’t think signing Miller was a mistake,.

Okay. Come back and say this next year. 

If this team is rebuilding, does Miller even want to be a part of that? That's more losing. LOL 

He throws temper tantrums and this isn't even a rebuilding team, can't imagine his behaviour when the team is actually rebuilding. 

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

Okay. Come back and say this next year. 

If this team is rebuilding, does Miller even want to be a part of that? That's more losing. LOL 

He throws temper tantrums and this isn't even a rebuilding team, can't imagine his behaviour when the team is actually rebuilding. 

Temper tantrum’s..    there’s a list of of great NHL hockey players who have those.

“Behaviour” ?

Please,  this is one one the last “Warrior” sports in the world,  played continuously, and not from “set play” to “set play” like football , baseball, tennis ect.

I guess we should bring in the same rules as tennis lol.

You mistake passion , and emotion in this sport for something you got sent to your room for perhaps.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

haha i know i always think high of horvat and said he needed an opportunity like miller and he could take off.. i mean their career trajectory is very similar.. but i dunno why ppl insist horvat can't have increased production if given the opportunity and have topped out.. his career stats age for age with miller is very similar up until miller got traded to vancouver and got his chance

A big reason I believed Miller had untapped potential before coming here was he wasn't being played much. Hell, the season before coming here Tampa was playing him 14 minutes a game. It was a big talking point for me why I didn't see a 3rd liner like many nay sayers said prior to him playing. Horvat though, has been given way more opportunities here than Miller ever seen in NY and Tampa. Likely not getting 1st unit PP time like Horvat is getting here. So to expect a Miller like bump for Horvat is a way beyond just being wishful. Given Miller's growth came from opportunities here he wasn't getting elsewhere.

But at the same time, Horvat has had some really middling wingers in his career. There's always been that one winger on his line that is more of a 3rd liner than a 2nd liner. Also doesn't help that he sort of fills a defensive role. Which he isn't actually that good at. He's a great faceoff guy, and an okay defender. To maximize him you would need him being utilized offensively a bit more than defensively. But we don't have a shutdown 3rd line center. So that's been his role.

4 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Temper tantrum’s..    there’s a list of of great NHL hockey players who have those.

“Behaviour” ?

Please,  this is one one the last “Warrior” sports in the world,  played continuously, and not from “set play” to “set play” like football , baseball, tennis ect.

I guess we should bring in the same rules as tennis lol.

You mistake passion , and emotion in this sport for something you got sent to your room for perhaps.

Heaven forbid a Vancouver canuck has some emotion on the ice hey..lol..they need a lot more of it.

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

The guy is terrible when he's throwing emotional fits. He doesn't lead on the ice. He's too hot tempered. But hey, if you want a leader like that, all the more power to you. I personally would not follow a player like that. But that's me. 

• Cheers 1