The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

7.5 on an 8 year deal is a fair price for Horvat. 

He is having a career year. You can't overpay for a player for 1 good season. He is a shoot first guy and doesn't make his wingers better. He won't score at this pace his whole contract. He will be lucky to hit 30 goals 3 out of the 8 years  and he won't be putting up 60+ assist like Miller. Horvat's career high in assists is 34 which was 5 years ago. 

Everyone needs to remember Bo is a career 50-55PT guy. He isn't worth 9 million. Love his face-off abilities but he isn't a good PK'er and scores a lot on the PP. He isn't a offensive driver at 5on5.

For the most part we all like the player (as a person) much like Brock, but we have to remember this is a business. Maybe the country club will be no more

It is best to get a good haul for him at the deadline and hopefully trade Boeser at the same time. 

We can then go into the offseason and try to move Myers and Pearson who will each have 1 season left. 

Build around Petey, Hughes and Demko. 

Horvat, Boeser era was never good enough to take us places, time to move on and get a young up and coming supporting cast for the players above that can take us places

Just now, BertaNuck said:

Hughes will want to go to jersey with his brothers 

petey will want to compete, and if we treat our captain like this , i think he would be next in line, why would he stay 

we could be headed towards a few dark years 

Yup just wipe the slate clean 

• Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, Devron said:

I’d be looking at trading Hughes and Petey too. They’ll be UFA’s before we compete

At least Hughes is locked in for a while, Pettersson could be dicey. After next season he could just accept his qualifying offer and walk at the end of it. 

I hope they can find a way to retain him, him and Hughes are pieces we should be keeping to build around. But hey, he has to want to stay. 

That being said, if someone wants to make an absurd offer they should be listening. Nobody is untouchable. 

Just now, Kobayashi Maru said:

So the most likely situation given it being related to the Canucks.

It'd certainly be Canuck luck.. 

I'm hoping we dodge that, we need a good return on Horvat if he's not going to extend. 

• Cheers 3

If he won't sign a team friendly deal that sucks but his value is sky-high. He likely won't maintain this pace over a full contract this might just be a crazy contract year. If that's the case and he won't agree to our ask move him. His value will never be higher.

Don't get obsessed with him now because he'd the shiny toy doing well in the spotlight.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bang Bang Boogie said:

We were all celebrating the Miller signing in the summer.  Now its the main reason we're going to lose Bo.

I didn’t realize it at the time. I thought Bo would be shortly after and a winger was going to be traded. Clearly they handcuffed themselves 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, BertaNuck said:

Hughes will want to go to jersey with his brothers 

petey will want to compete, and if we treat our captain like this , i think he would be next in line, why would he stay 

we could be headed towards a few dark years 

Meh we had the same record during the darkest willy d times as we do with all these "amazing" players currently lol. It will be easy to deal with if we prioritized youth and rebuild this time as oppose to whatever we did last time 

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

They made their bed by not trading Miller at the deadline, draft, or during the summer. They had multiple opportunities to not screw the pooch but they hitched their wagon to him and made their bed. 

Should have signed Horvat first at the very least.

Maybe, too little too late though it seems.

Yup, and while Horvat isn't a Selke guy by any means he's certainly better defensively than Miller. Miller at center long term likely results in more goals against, I've argued that Horvat made Miller's job a lot easier last season because he took on more of the defensive and faceoff loads, Miller just had to focus on offense. Now he won't be able to do that. 

Yup, losing Horvat immediately makes us less competitive. We don't have anyone who can replace what he brings while filling all the roles he does in the system.

Maybe it's the move this team needs to actually embrace more of a rebuild. 

Trading Boeser for a similar contract with less term would be a win. Myers we can wait on tbh, one year left after this one. Could be gone next season at 50%. 

Should have started rebuilding around those guys last season by trading Miller. 

Yupppp, chose the wrong wagon.

Def, I'd keep him over Miller. They'd have to take a contract back with medium/long term to make it work though. 

If we do trade Horvat I hope we trade Miller too. Only scenario that makes sense. Go into a proper rebuild aroung Petey and Hughes, no one else is safe. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Cheers 1

Dont know what to say anymore.  I just want to see what the outcome will be and who they get back in return.  

The real burn for me is not that they signed Miller (they should have traded him imho).  The past 8 years seem to be a failure, outside of drafting a couple high end players.  Forget about winning a cup, how about just being a consistent playoff team by now....nope...

• Huggy Bear 2

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

If we do trade Horvat I hope we trade Miller too. Only scenario that makes sense. Go into a proper rebuild aroung Petey and Hughes, no one else is safe. 

Yup, totally agree. Miller doesn't fit the timeline of a rebuild imo, his best remaining years would be wasted.

He's a good offensive player, it's just that it's all he is. He does have value and he could contribute offensively for a team that could insulate him better defensively. He's also very competitive and wants to win, if Bo goes it could be best for both sides to mutually agree to move on. Miller gets paid regardless of where he goes. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Devron said:

I didn’t realize it at the time. I thought Bo would be shortly after and a winger was going to be traded. Clearly they handcuffed themselves 

Yeah I was also under the impression the Horvat signing was in the bag and that was why they spent their energy on Miller. Seemed like both parties wanted to make a deal but Canucks management got greedy and low balled him. There is no excuse for starting the season with Bo unsigned. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Doxm said:

Boeser for Monahan + a pick, use the cap space in the offseason. 

No idea what you get for Horvat... 1st/top prospect/roster player? Maybe the Rangers are willing to part with Schneider for him? Avs for Girard? Idk I'm not good at this sh*t. 

I think you are good at it, because it's exactly the types of moves we should be making.  Monahan is not Bo, but can take his spot as a 2C admirably while we trade Bo for a Kings ransom.  Kuzmenko and Mikhayev have taken on the offensive slack if we lose Bo, and Monahan helps give us another options beside Petey for FW.  We insulate the balance of the team with Monahan for Boeser (+ a small add if needed) and trade Bo for a package including a young RD that could pair with Hughes.  

• Cheers 1

a lot of media and sports net last year was saying keep Miller- Bo was a little MIA in terms of emotion and leadership, Bruce even called Miller, the emotional leader ... Miller was a 100 pt guy, do we see Bo being that ? I advocate for trading miller to get cap space too but just saying, players have ups and downs, I do not love signing players over age 28 to large long term deals that finish when they are 35/36, I would have traded both...