The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

3 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I wouldn't mind trading Boeser/Garland to make room for Kuzmenko if he turns out to be a Kaprizov kind of player. 

100%.

But if its a Kaprizov kinda contract, we’d have to move both. Which Hoglander could slot in for Garland imo.

Hoglander+Kuzmenko > Boeser+Garland

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

That's assuming the team isn't in a playoff contention, if they are in the thick of the playoff race, I find it hard for management to make a trade with a pending UFA. What is a free-agent soon to be going to be worth to another team, if they can't necessarily retain him after their season is done? 

I agree with you that if Bo doesn't sign by Christmas it's a bad bad sign for the Canucks

The sooner this is resolved, the better. Could be a distraction all season too for the team. 

Didn't think it would take this long to sign the captain of the team....

SOONER  has nothing to do with it now..  

but it will take the appropriate time to see if their is a deal worth making involving him in a trade before the TDL, regardless of playoff contention.

Players realize these situations arise,  if not to themselves , to others.

I don’t think it will be the distraction some might think other than to Bo himself.

That might have him looking to sign sooner than later,.  But management is in the e drivers seat with this player.

Once they signed the man they wanted ,  it was only obvious it would play out like this..

(Miller had to be the first signing because he is the better player)

I can’t be the only one who saw this?

Miller has been our best player since his arrival,.  And has gotten better each year.

As this TEAM gets better his game will again evolve.  He is a player whose leadership team can be built around.

It could have been anyone,  but as long as they played and lead like Miller does,

Management would try to keep him first.

Had Bo been cut of that same cloth,  I would have said sign Bo first..

But it’s Miller who has been outstanding.

I don’t think they’re offering Bo much more than 6 m right now…

and if he signs for under 6.5.

The pressure is on Boeser to up his game or be traded.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Coconuts said:

That depends on whether one of said center's plays on the wing or not. I don't view Pettersson, Miller, and Horvat as 1-2-3 down the middle and I've never thought it a realistic long-term approach for several reasons. Top players want to play, you don't want to spend 6M+ on a 3C, and we need a legitimate shutdown 3C or something resembling one instead of a top 6C who's miscast as a 3C. Keeping Horvat bumps one or Miller or Pettersson to the wing and I don't view that as the problem some folks think it is. Pettersson can still take draws, any competent coach can figure out deployment if the idea if for him to get better at playing as a center. Faceoffs can be practiced. Having Horvat and Miller buffer him right now isn't a bad thing if the goal is for him to take over as a center going forward at some point. Miller is more than capable of playing wing, and likely will as he declines at some point anyway imo. 

Depends on what's out there and what teams want to give up for Bo. I just don't believe we'll get what some folks think we will for a pending UFA. Most teams don't have a stable of RD they can just gamble away hoping that said pending UFA signs with them. It's one of the arguments the keep Miller crew kept bringing up during the summer. Yes, you look at your options, absolutely. A GM has to look at all their options or they aren't doing their job. 

Maybe, but Pettersson has yet to prove he can be a competent centerman over an entire season, yet alone give any indication he can step in and do Horvat's job at both ends. And that's an issue we've had for years, Horvat being miscast as a defensive center. Until Pettersson actually proves he can do it it my skepticism isn't unwarranted. Plus, unless you're actually getting a center plus a solution on D back in a trade for Horvat you're left with center depth of maybe Miller, Pettersson, Lazar, and Joshua. Dunno about you but that doesn't inspire confidence. Neither Lazar or Joshua are a 3C. 

I think you just need to look at Hanks first 4 seasons and then look at Peteys, he will be fine and I think this is the year we see a break out from him. Having this occur and I am sorry, Miller is no where near ready to be relegated to being a winger, Bo will find himself as the third man in very soon. Miller is currently our #1 Center and soon him and Petey will be our 1,2 punch. 

Not sure Bo would like that and honestly, I would like to see Bo on a team where he is the soul #2 C. I think he has earned it.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, KirkSave said:

Nobody but the MGMT team and Bo's agent know what is happening. All this "reporting" is guess work which is par for the courese as "news" these days. It's all speculation until the actual news that he is signed or eventually traded. That is when we will know what Bo wants.

When the new management mentioned that the "Culture" of the team needs to change and Miller getting signed and Miller always mentioning that they need to be accountable in playing at a high compete level ALL of the Time? 

This and Bo still not signed, I am beginning to see that maybe management has already decided what changes they are looking at? 

Bo has had great moments but he has also had times where he has disappeared and has been inconsistent.

I am not sure if we need to do any........."guessing" at this point.

3 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Really concerning if Irf's reporting is true. Your captain who's drafted and developed with this organization is choosing money over giving a hometown discount. By the prioritization quote, I'm assuming that means choosing to sign JT first over Bo.

Seems like it's going to take a Couturier type contract from Bo's side (not even a close comparable imo) as Elliote mentions it's going to start with a 7.

Canucks management seem to not feel worried as they have their 1C and 2C locked up, so Bo will have to take a discount to stay here as mentioned by Dreger.

As we all know, anything can happen at anytime, just takes one phone call. Like when Miller decided one day he wants to take a discount and stay with the Canucks, he went down on his ask and management went up on their offer to keep him. Seems like Bo's camp will have to come down on their ask since management does not feel pressured to go up on their offer.

Season's starting tomorrow, many players do not like talking contract during the season. Let's see what happens with Bo. PA already mentioned we won't be keeping players on expiring contracts past the deadline, including Bo.

lol i mean why would he give the canucks a discount after prioritizing Miller all summer with little discussion with Horvat and like some here wanted as soon as they sign Miller Horvat should be shipped out.. Horvat probably feels totally disrespected here by the management.. really it should have been ongoing discussion with both Horvat and Miller.. not wait and see if u can sign miller or trade him before starting negotiation with Horvat.. and after having Miller's contract is done? they start by lowballing him using RNH's contract? we'll offer you less than what you make now for your prime lol... even if they wanted to use a low starting point.. at least offer a little more than what he's making now.. offering him less than what he makes if it's true.. that's a slap in the face.

2 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol i mean why would he give the canucks a discount after prioritizing Miller all summer with little discussion with Horvat and like some here wanted as soon as they sign Miller Horvat should be shipped out.. Horvat probably feels totally disrespected here by the management.. really it should have been ongoing discussion with both Horvat and Miller.. not wait and see if u can sign miller or trade him before starting negotiation with Horvat.. and after having Miller's contract is done? they start by lowballing him using RNH's contract? we'll offer you less than what you make now for your prime lol... even if they wanted to use a low starting point.. at least offer a little more than what he's making now.. offering him less than what he makes if it's true.. that's a slap in the face.

Do you have inside access to negotiations? ::D

Seriously though, I think they were both presented with offers and Miller decided that winning was more important then a few extra bucks. Bo? Well we are still waiting so I am thinking not. 

Some players just see money as more important then building a championship team. Thats OK, I would rather see their real colors show before we sign them to a very long contract which we cannot back out of.

36 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I think you just need to look at Hanks first 4 seasons and then look at Peteys, he will be fine and I think this is the year we see a break out from him. Having this occur and I am sorry, Miller is no where near ready to be relegated to being a winger, Bo will find himself as the third man in very soon. Miller is currently our #1 Center and soon him and Petey will be our 1,2 punch. 

Not sure Bo would like that and honestly, I would like to see Bo on a team where he is the soul #2 C. I think he has earned it.

I forget. Someone remind me. Did JT play mostly in the middle last year? 

I think he or Petey might be better served as a winger in the NHL. I'm not sure if Petey's face off is good enough....

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Seriously though, I think they were both presented with offers and Miller decided that winning was more important then a few extra bucks. Bo? Well we are still waiting so I am thinking not. 

Some players just see money as more important then building a championship team. Thats OK, I would rather see their real colors show before we sign them to a very long contract which we cannot back out of.

aren't u the one that side the writing is on the wall get rid of bo as soon as miller signed?

On 10/9/2022 at 9:25 PM, EdgarM said:

Well Miller just signed a "Long Term" contract and Petey will be given a raise as our #1 Center. I think most of us can see the writing on the wall.

11 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

5 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

aren't u the one that side the writing is on the wall get rid of bo as soon as miller signed?

Yeah I never said get rid of Bo I said that the Team has signed 2 Centers which are being paid as a #1 and #2 Center so maybe they have already decided. I have nothing to do with it. 

I do feel more comfortable though that Bo cannot hold us as hostages to give him more money. If he wants to sign at a reasonable rate, then there is nothing to see here. If he wants to max out, then there lies the issue.

7 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Yeah I never said get rid of Bo I said that the Team has signed 2 Centers which are being paid as a #1 and #2 Center so maybe they have already decided. I have nothing to do with it. 

I do feel more comfortable though that Bo cannot hold us as hostages to give him more money. If he wants to sign at a reasonable rate, then there is nothing to see here. If he wants to max out, then there lies the issue.

I mean, I can't say for sure. But I think Bo's a character guy. He wants to win badly, and it seems like he wants to win here. Negotiations take time, I guess, and I guess I'm not surprised that it's taken "so long", especially if management has just started negotiations with Bo's camp after getting JT's salary done. 

I'd like to see Miller's start this season, if he's not producing even at a 70 point clip, this fan base is going to go ape crazy, and it's going to look really bad on management, because then we're stuck with another Ericksson type contract for the next 8 years. Who's the next GM going to clean that mess up, and how many picks will it take to get rid of Miller's contract at that time? If we chose to stay with his contract, that's close to another 10 years. Can't see Petey, Hughes remaining here during that time. We'll be middle of the pack, maybe worse in those years with an anchor contract. Fucking sucks to be a fan of this team. Why can't we have some goddamn good things going for us. 

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

SOONER  has nothing to do with it now..  

but it will take the appropriate time to see if their is a deal worth making involving him in a trade before the TDL, regardless of playoff contention.

Players realize these situations arise,  if not to themselves , to others.

I don’t think it will be the distraction some might think other than to Bo himself.

That might have him looking to sign sooner than later,.  But management is in the e drivers seat with this player.

Once they signed the man they wanted ,  it was only obvious it would play out like this..

(Miller had to be the first signing because he is the better player)

I can’t be the only one who saw this?

Miller has been our best player since his arrival,.  And has gotten better each year.

As this TEAM gets better his game will again evolve.  He is a player whose leadership team can be built around.

It could have been anyone,  but as long as they played and lead like Miller does,

Management would try to keep him first.

Had Bo been cut of that same cloth,  I would have said sign Bo first..

But it’s Miller who has been outstanding.

I don’t think they’re offering Bo much more than 6 m right now…

and if he signs for under 6.5.

The pressure is on Boeser to up his game or be traded.

I think management might still trade Boeser even if he steps his game up. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

I think they find a way for Bo to sign for a reasonable contract (much less than EP and JTM) and they'll likely trade Brock to pay for this (in addition to other player movements for a solid D).  Of course, if someone like Kuzmenko hits 50-60 points, then there will be even more decisions to come but trading Brock will go a long way and he's likely the most replaceable out of all of the top Canuck players (no disrespect to Brock.....I like him on this team but man the money is tight).

If Garland is producing, he's safe on this team IMO.  His contract is manageable and he pushes the energy, agitation and his metrics are supportive. I think for the money and for what Garland brings, he's likely in a safer position than Brock trade-wise.

I think they live with paying 3 C's at a high dollar amount.  Having 3 top 2 centers is a luxury in this league and literally the backbone to a solid cup run.

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Linden was also drafted by the Canucks.  Had way better numbers than BO and took us to game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals.  He was traded and we actually became a better team afterwards.  Bottom line is the team is bigger than any one player...

Yep. I agree, and that's true. I've admitted that it's a business. I get that. I still like Horvat, and would want him to remain a Canuck. 

Linden did come back as well to the team that originally drafted him, and retired as a Canuck. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I mean, I can't say for sure. But I think Bo's a character guy. He wants to win badly, and it seems like he wants to win here. Negotiations take time, I guess, and I guess I'm not surprised that it's taken "so long", especially if management has just started negotiations with Bo's camp after getting JT's salary done. 

I'd like to see Miller's start this season, if he's not producing even at a 70 point clip, this fan base is going to go ape crazy, and it's going to look really bad on management, because then we're stuck with another Ericksson type contract for the next 8 years. Who's the next GM going to clean that mess up, and how many picks will it take to get rid of Miller's contract at that time? If we chose to stay with his contract, that's close to another 10 years. Can't see Petey, Hughes remaining here during that time. We'll be middle of the pack, maybe worse in those years with an anchor contract. Fucking sucks to be a fan of this team. Why can't we have some goddamn good things going for us. 

Cheer up man!  Tomorrow is the start of a new season.  This board should be excited, not down in the dumps because they locked up one of the top players in the NHL :)

8 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I thought I heard that they have been talking to Bo's camp for awhile now and I thought they were saying in the Summer that they were going well. 

What makes you think Miller is going to go "Loui" on us? He seems real competitive so I think he will good for us for a few more years to come. 

I hear ya on the frustrations of being a Canuck Fan, we have definitely had more downs then ups over the years. I really feel optimistic of this new group though.

6 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I thought I heard that they have been talking to Bo's camp for awhile now and I thought they were saying in the Summer that they were going well. 

What makes you think Miller is going to go "Loui" on us? He seems real competitive so I think he will good for us for a few more years to come. 

I hear ya on the frustrations of being a Canuck Fan, we have definitely had more downs then ups over the years. I really feel optimistic of this new group though.

I can't say for sure, but it just worries me that we're signing another player who's entering into their 30's. Lots of things go by the way side as players get older right? Miller may have drive even until the end, but if his hands go, it don't matter. He's not going to be producing at a rate that his contract is demanding him to. That puts pressure on the player, even more so. Nobody thought Ericksson was going to go the way he did either, who could've seen that? But he did, and then he just continued to drop off a cliff. Thank God that contract and player is gone. 

Don't remember about Bo's contract negotiations. I thought for the longest time that management was working with Bo's camp to get a deal done, but that turned out to be wrong. It was Miller they were working with all that time, so I can understand why Bo could have felt slighted. Maybe management and Bo's relationship at this point has soured? For all we know, he could be as good as gone, maybe his heart isn't here no more. 

14 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Cheer up man!  Tomorrow is the start of a new season.  This board should be excited, not down in the dumps because they locked up one of the top players in the NHL :)

Haha yes. I am excited about the new season. 

Man, I guess those Benning years has really taken a toll on me. PTSD with new management, based off of old management and their total dysfunction in management. Is JR and PA the same? I don't know. They seem to be 'better' different than the previous regime, but who really knows at this point. They don't leak anything. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

lol if miller doesn't reach 99 point it's already considered an epic fail.. most claim he he's only going to get better.. honestly i see him more of a 75-80point guy.. he was top 5 in secondary assist well above his normal while goals and primary assist is on par. are we happy with Miller if he drops back to his normal 75-82 point guy before his new contract even kicks in?

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Even with Miller as the priority, it was ongoing negotiations with both all Summer, they didn't start after the Miller deal.

The Miller negotiations were also at a stalemate until the day he decided he doesn't want negotiations to run into the season and wants to stay in Vancouver. He took a discount to stay as well. Management prioritized him by going up on their offer and meeting in the middle.

It is up to Horvat to decide if he wants to chase the money or remain a Canuck (no issues with chasing money, do what is best for him).

9 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol if miller doesn't reach 99 point it's already considered an epic fail.. most claim he he's only going to get better.. honestly i see him more of a 75-80point guy.. he was top 5 in secondary assist well above his normal while goals and primary assist is on par. are we happy with Miller if he drops back to his normal 75-82 point guy before his new contract even kicks in?

Even 75-82 points is solid for Miller's price tag.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1