The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

We’re most likely gonna have to buy low on RHD and try and develop them. I don’t think we’re gonna get one by trading any of our players that we’d be willing to trade.

Guys like Lundqvist, Hague, Foote are more realistic targets that still have enough upside that they may develop into top 4 guys. They represent more realistic targets, because we’re not getting a player like Dobson.

Yup, 100%. Or turn one of QH and OEL into a rhd, and develop a lhd. If they go down this route, they can use someone like De Haan as a stopgap in their top-4 for a couple of years while Rathbone develops into a top-4 lhd. 

Dermott has upside too - he's only 25 and his advanced stats suggest he's got a lot more to give. Dermott at age 27-28 could end up being a solid top-4 defenseman. 

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

If management wants a good rhd then they would at this point be shopping BB as his value besides QH or centers is the best trade asset we have.Wingers are easier to replace then any other position.

Except Boesers value is down now so now is not the right time for a trade. You do it after he has a 30 goal season not now.

That would also be a very unpopular move among teammates. I don’t think they’re looking to upset Pettersson before they re-sign him long term.

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Except Boesers value is down now so now is not the right time for a trade. You do it after he has a 30 goal season not now.

That would also be a very unpopular move among teammates. I don’t think they’re looking to upset Pettersson before they re-sign him long term.

Yeah and it looks incredibly flaky to trade a guy right after re-signing him. 

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, BC_Hawk said:

"hopefully find/develop a solid two way 3C that can play in all three zones, put up offense AND play hard defensive minutes" that is the definition of Bo Horvat. IF you want him to play a more defensive game, just change a winger on his line. Bo would provide good value at 6.5m...way more than Beoser does in my opinion (could be redundant if Kuzmenko works out).

The guy scored 30 goals last year, give him some credit. He's not a 3C. He's a top 6 F. I don't expect our 3C to score 30 goals/put up 60 points. +/-45 is plenty for that role (and likely frees up Horvat to put up 70+).

6 hours ago, JM_ said:

I could see that developed down the road with some prospects or SHL signings.... but for now I don't see how we upgrade he d and afford to get that high a quality 3C. I don't know if Karlsson can be that guy in 2 years? that would be nice.  

No its not ideal, but the 3 scoring line idea might fit Bourdreau's style best for now.

It definitely is the "it is what it is" for now. And yes, we likely have to draft/develop or college/Europe free agent that guy.

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Ideally you play Miller and Petey together.  BO is your 2C.  I'm fine with that.  Trade a winger for help on defence.  That balances the team.  Having Horvat as your defacto 3C isn't going to work long term in my opinion, as the cost is too high, we are not properly balanced out and quite frankly BO is not an actual shutdown 3C.

Agreed.

6 hours ago, JM_ said:

I guess I'd ask what do we fix first? the d, or a 3C in the style you're talking about? 

Definitely the D first (unless something falls in our laps).

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

It happens, not a lot though.

Would be a horrible look for management, especially with the recent passing of his father. Not worth it with the fallout that it would create among teammates.

I do not think he will be traded but if a good deal came to us for BB since it is a business you would have to take it.I think more fans and the team would be angry if details came out to a trade we said no to.

46 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Seattle phones us and asks for Garland. We ask for a 1st round pick, top 10 protected. Seattle hangs up the phone. 

Columbus is desperate and gives up Bjorkstrand for a 3rd and 4th.  

That sounds like a very likely scenario to me.  Someone is worth whatever someone else is willing to pay for them but ALSO what the seller is willing to sell them for.  

I watched about 5-10 Columbus games over the last two years and didn't notice Bjorkstrand at all. I agree that you couldn't get much for Garland this summer, but that's because there's no one in the league that has any cap space outside of 3-4 teams that are trying to tank for Bedard. Garland is more valuable then Bjorkstrand... we could argue how much so until the cows come home. 

I probably watched at least 10 Canucks games where Garland was unnoticeable so your admittedly small sample size of watching CBJ isn’t a definitive about the player. It really suggests maybe you don’t definitively know which is better or how comparable they might be (for the record, I think Garland is slightly better as a player, not significantly though).

26 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

I do not think he will be traded but if a good deal came to us for BB since it is a business you would have to take it.I think more fans and the team would be angry if details came out to a trade we said no to.

You would most likely be selling low though.

Even if you put the personal aspect aside (which I wouldn’t) from a business standpoint you’re not gonna get top value for him after a down season.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

You would most likely be selling low though.

Even if you put the personal aspect aside (which I wouldn’t) from a business standpoint you’re not gonna get top value for him after a down season.

Well both sides could happen but I understand what you are saying and do believe he won't be traded. I just think at this point he would be the best to be traded for what we need.

1 hour ago, cripplereh said:

If management wants a good rhd then they would at this point be shopping BB as his value besides QH or centers is the best trade asset we have.Wingers are easier to replace then any other position.

Boeser or Garland would be the best trade assets.

Boeser is more of a goal scorer at $6.65M.  Garland is a top 6 winger capable of 50pts at $4.95M.  Both have value to teams looking to acquire wingers.

Pearson is another one.  30-40pts.  Older but cheaper at $3.25M.  BUT Canucks need that cheaper depth option.

18 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

Yep agreed, 6.5 would be very fair and could end up looking great in a few years.

I have a feeling that this management team is going to end up being bailed out by the salary cap increase. If we've locked down our best players now, a few million dollar increase in the salary cap is going to make things a lot easier and age the contracts signed now very well. 

Definitely will be some movement but I don't think its going to be a case of trading one of our best players. This management team made a point of re-signing Boeser and Miller, and Rutherford earlier in the summer was pretty clear that signing Horvat was the priority. So, more likely some tinkering with our middle 6, and trying to find a bottom-four defenseman that has enough upside to play well on a second pairing. 

If Bo would sign that deal he is way better value at that than BB (doubtful management would have offered that without his qualifying offer)

He is a top shutdown centre  who plays tough matchups much more valuable and centre's are paid more

PA has already stated that Bo is part of the core ,and maybe forgot to mention BB?

I think they didn't want to lose the asset in BB for nothing and hope he has a great year and he will eventually be the one moved to pay Bo and others

• Cheers 1