The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Bo Horvat Trade/Contract Talks

HOFsedins

Sportsnet: Re-signing Miller was surprising for a lot of people, as is the fact that your captain, Bo Horvat, is about to enter the final season of his contract without an extension in place. Are you optimistic that you will get one before the season?

Allvin: Deals like this take time. Am I optimistic it's going to happen before the season? Maybe. We're still communicating, so we'll see.

Sportsnet: Are you worried this issue could become the next great distraction?

Allvin: It could be, it definitely could be. I mean, we saw it on all the rumours on Miller. It could be a distraction, but I know Bo is focused and committed and wants to stay, so hopefully we find a solution here.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/qa-canucks-gm-patrik-allvin-on-miller-horvats-contract-the-blue-line-and-more/

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Sportsnet: Re-signing Miller was surprising for a lot of people, as is the fact that your captain, Bo Horvat, is about to enter the final season of his contract without an extension in place. Are you optimistic that you will get one before the season?

Allvin: Deals like this take time. Am I optimistic it's going to happen before the season? Maybe. We're still communicating, so we'll see.

Sportsnet: Are you worried this issue could become the next great distraction?

Allvin: It could be, it definitely could be. I mean, we saw it on all the rumours on Miller. It could be a distraction, but I know Bo is focused and committed and wants to stay, so hopefully we find a solution here.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/qa-canucks-gm-patrik-allvin-on-miller-horvats-contract-the-blue-line-and-more/

C'mon already, get it done PA. Enough of the ambivalence. If the lad wants too much, then make one of those "unpopular", "hard" decisions your boss was talking about, and resolve this thing.

I hope he stays, but not at all costs, and I also sense that Bo, vis a vis his agent, is holding a gun to their heads.....if we're to believe all of the "We love Bo, he's our Captain" and "I love it here, I wanna be here" rhetoric that's been bandied about for months. shouldn't this be done by now?

Edited by Sophomore Jinx

On 9/15/2022 at 8:28 PM, aliboy said:

I agree! I love Bo, but I feel that Miller is ready to make this his team. We signed him to the contract, may as well give him the ball and let him run with it. Just my feeling.

Agree and have said this for some time.  I love Bo on this team but not as captain.  Nothing against Bo since he came at a tough time and he's shouldered it well.....but I'd love to see him with an A and Miller the C.  I can't see this happening though.  I see a trade before a hand-off of the captaincy.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Agree and have said this for some time.  I love Bo on this team but not as captain.  Nothing against Bo since he came at a tough time and he's shouldered it well.....but I'd love to see him with an A and Miller the C.  I can't see this happening though.  I see a trade before a hand-off of the captaincy.

It could, San Jose had Marleau Thornton and Pavelski all take turns being captain.

It's only a problem if someone's ego gets in the way. But I think Bo Miller Petey Hughes and Co all have the same goal.

• Upvote 1

(after this season) the Canucks will be spending almost $16 on their top 2 Cs (Miller and Petey). Can they afford to pay Bo another $7 or more long term? Also, the 3rd Line C should not be making $7. Maybe they're planning on using Petey at wing.

Pettersson - Miller - Podkolzin

Kuzmenko - Horvat - Boeser

Hoglander - Lazar/Dickinson - Mikheyev 

That's still a really good Top 9 IMO, so maybe Garland is the player they need to trade to upgrade the D.  Pearson needs to be traded too. 

8 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

(after this season) the Canucks will be spending almost $16 on their top 2 Cs (Miller and Petey). Can they afford to pay Bo another $7 or more long term? Also, the 3rd Line C should not be making $7. Maybe they're planning on using Petey at wing.

Pettersson - Miller - Podkolzin

Kuzmenko - Horvat - Boeser

Hoglander - Lazar/Dickinson - Mikheyev 

That's still a really good Top 9 IMO, so maybe Garland is the player they need to trade to upgrade the D.  Pearson needs to be traded too. 

I suppose that depends on whether management actually think Pettersson is a center or not? I keep hearing about depth down the middle but I just don't see Miller, Pettersson, and Horvat down the middle lasting. I'm sure we'll see at least one of Pettersson and Miller spend a good chunk of time on the wing. If Pettersson's viewed as a top line winger that's just peachy. But it means we should be looking to draft more center's along with D sooner than later. We're gonna need replacements for Miller and Horvat sooner or later and realistically if we're a middle of the pack team or higher all our draft picks are more likely to be the wait and see sort than the jump into the lineup quickly sort. 

5 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I suppose that depends on whether management actually think Pettersson is a center or not? I keep hearing about depth down the middle but I just don't see Miller, Pettersson, and Horvat down the middle lasting. I'm sure we'll see at least one of Pettersson and Miller spend a good chunk of time on the wing. If Pettersson's viewed as a top line winger that's just peachy. But it means we should be looking to draft more center's along with D sooner than later. We're gonna need replacements for Miller and Horvat sooner or later and realistically if we're a middle of the pack team or higher all our draft picks are more likely to be the wait and see sort than the jump into the lineup quickly sort. 

Doesn't matter what management thinks since it's Boudreau's decision and he's made it clear that that's his game plan for this season. However, you're right, it could not last the entire season depending on how they perform as a 1 2 3 punch

10 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

I love people that think Bo isn't captain material but Miller visibly crying and moping on the ice is captain material. Bo is somehow more disrespected than Hank.

Why you gotta do that?

Just cause some people don't see that Bo is quality leadership material doesn't mean you should sand bag our boy JT with inaccurate disses.

He gets angry, he's working on it. However he also gets praises from the club for his leadership and passion. I have never seen him visibly crying on the ice. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Why you gotta do that?

Just cause some people don't see that Bo is quality leadership material doesn't mean you should sand bag our boy JT with inaccurate disses.

He gets angry, he's working on it. However he also gets praises from the club for his leadership and passion. I have never seen him visibly crying on the ice. 

Go back and watch the season under Green. Miller was literally on the ice throwing hissy fits. Smashing sticks, slamming doors. So yeah, I am gonna call it how I see it. I love Miller as a player, not as a captain.

People kill Bo and prop up Miller, but never once has Bo done anything to be slighted as our leader, let alone done the on ice hissy fits that Miller did early last season. Bo has been a respected professional literally from the moment he wore a Canuck jersey. He stayed calm cool and collected when everything was going wrong. He's loved by the young core, they call him Cap. I am tired of people giving Miller's attitude a pass and killing Bo for no reason.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Go back and watch the season under Green. Miller was literally on the ice throwing hissy fits. Smashing sticks, slamming doors. So yeah, I am gonna call it how I see it. I love Miller as a player, not as a captain.

People kill Bo and prop up Miller, but never once has Bo done anything to be slighted as our leader, let alone done the on ice hissy fits that Miller did early last season. Bo has been a respected professional literally from the moment he wore a Canuck jersey. He stayed calm cool and collected when everything was going wrong. He's loved by the young core, they call him Cap. I am tired of people giving Miller's attitude a pass and killing Bo for no reason.

You aren’t wrong about any of this really. Here’s the thing though. This market has not had an emotional captain since Linden. We have had those calm, it’s all ok, nothing pisses me off guys. That’s very likely why some like Miller as a potential C. Horvat is essentially a continuation of the Sedins and Naslund and that’s not a negative just a long seen dynamic here. 

Edited by wallstreetamigo

10 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Yup, you're right, he's such a nice boy. He's aww shucks boy, the captain. One who turns away when trouble arrives. Excellent player, but I'll take a player like Miller as Captain any day, a guy with snarl and oozing PASSION. One who is pissed on another level when he loses. Bo is part of the country club mentality, sweet guy, aw too bad we lost, but we'll be better next game.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I did watch.

Miller was our best player under Green.

I guess I took a bit of offence to the term JT 'visibly cries' on the ice. He doesn't cry. He got angry a bunch, but using the term 'cry' is just a dis that makes him sound weak.

Just because you like Bo, as I do, doesn't mean you need to reduce another player. Especially one that give his all, a top line centre that led our team in points.

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Yup, you're right, he's such a nice boy. He's aww shucks boy, the captain. One who turns away when trouble arrives. Excellent player, but I'll take a player like Miller as Captain any day, a guy with snarl and oozing PASSION. One who is pissed on another level when he loses. Bo is part of the country club mentality, sweet guy, aw too bad we lost, but we'll be better next game.

So tiring this stupid narrative. Bo is our captain and it’s not changing anytime soon, deal with it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

So tiring this stupid narrative. Bo is our captain and it’s not changing anytime soon, deal with it. 

It wouldn't be the end of the world lol. I like Bo as a player, but not as a captain. I want to see a Tin Can being won by this team in my lifetime. I've seen enough passive captains in the last 25 years, I think a player like Miller as captain is needed to lead the charge to the promised land. Apologies for expressing my opinion on the matter, I'll try to be more eloquent, as you were in your reply. 

47 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

It wouldn't be the end of the world lol. I like Bo as a player, but not as a captain. I want to see a Tin Can being won by this team in my lifetime. I've seen enough passive captains in the last 25 years, I think a player like Miller as captain is needed to lead the charge to the promised land. Apologies for expressing my opinion on the matter, I'll try to be more eloquent, as you were in your reply. 

Nah it’s a stupid narrative and I find it hilarious when people not in the room talk like they know who is better as a Captain. JT is already a part of the leadership group of this team. Putting a C on his jersey doesn’t turn this to a cup team. If we’re not a cup team with him having an A on his sweater adding a C does literally nothing to change that. 

• Upvote 1