The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Jim Benning, name Stan Smyl as interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

the new management group is a collaboration of voices. I think Smyll is the interim GM. Johnson the interim AGM. Do you think those guys go back to their posts or will their promotion be permanent?

Sounds temporary when they write "search for new leadership is underway".  

So is there going to be a POHO that's hired? Is that the plan? 

Cause this rag tag group of management now with Smyl, Johnson, Gear, Sedins. 

That's a lot of voices in the kitchen. Who's making the final decision? Is it Smyl? Gear? 

Just now, VancouverHabitant said:

ActiveFrigidBufflehead-size_restricted.g

He's a guy you have the option to keep around since he's signed 5 years. IF you decided to trade him, however, he'd net you quite a bit I reckon.

IMO if we trade Boeser we might as well keep Garland.

What I wonder is if you could move OEL. IDK if you'd get anything but long-term cap relief but it might be worth it if we want to start to build up a roster proper in 2-3 years after a mini-rebuild.

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

He's a guy you have the option to keep around since he's signed 5 years. IF you decided to trade him, however, he'd net you quite a bit I reckon.

What I wonder is if you could move OEL. IDK if you'd get anything but long-term cap relief but it might be worth it if we want to start to build up a roster proper in 2-3 years after a mini-rebuild.

No no no no, please no to trading Garland.  I'd rather trade the whole team instead.  

Favourite player to watch on the Canucks since the prime Bertuzzi days for me. 

8 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

8-14-2 by the end of February(and 3 of those wins were againts Ottawa) says otherwise 

March we were 8-4-1

warming up for a hot streak before covid hit

January is our usual doldrums. 

so you'd rather throw shade that's your choice. 

After January that's when we usually warm up. Usually just enough to rob us of a better draft pick. It's a weird habit we have. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Nobody is taking OEL off our hands. We'd need to get rid of another 1st round pick. In a strong draft year, and where we're sucking? I don't think that's a prudent move. 

5 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Drance polled some executives and pro-scouts recently - they like that OEL has rebounded but still have him as a negative value contract because of the cap hit and length.  Myers and Poolman also fall in the negative value contracts according to the group polled.  

So another rebuild.  Cool.  I'm sure some of you want those high draft picks as well.  You do know that in order to get them your team will have to suck right?

Let's see how long some of you will last on here when we are a lottery team for the next 3 years and Benning and Green aren't around to use as excuses anymore.

Who's going to be the next whipping boy?  Based on all the recent threads my guess is Horvat.  It was his jersey after all that was thrown onto the ice.  If you have a Horvat jersey make sure you go to a game and throw it on the ice.  It seems to work with Aquilini so if he recognizes the number he will automatically call for that player to be traded.

I wonder if GM Aquilini knows how to run a draft?  Or is he going to let Smyl run it so he can mispronounce everyone's name?  Should be a fun rest of the year!!!

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • RoughGame 1

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Drance polled some executives and pro-scouts recently - they like that OEL has rebounded but still have him as a negative value contract because of the cap hit and length.  Myers and Poolman also fall in the negative value contracts according to the group polled.  

One thing I never understood....

Jimmy protected Myers, OJ, and Schmidt on d this summer.

Why wouldn't be make a deal for say Vince Dunn and not protect Myers, OJ or Schmidt?

17 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

In other words a collection of ex Canucks and a capologist.  Hopefully Boudreau can at least make the team respectable until next summer when Aquilini can find an actual GM to run the draft and make some trades...

Funny, but Benning was always accused of trying to adopt the Boston model. Now that he's gone, and the keys are handed over to a group of former Canucks, it's clear that Aquilini is pursuing the Edmonton model. And we all know how hiring nothing but ex-Oilers as worked out for them.

• Sad 2
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

He literally called out Podkolzins name when we drafted him. Am I missing something?

No he called out someone else's name.  Some dude from Siberia I think...

We would need a Russian interpreter at the draft if we were to draft any Russians so Smyl doesn't screw up the names...

• Haha 1