The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Jim Benning, name Stan Smyl as interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

27 minutes ago, Apricot said:

He’s a trash person. He knowingly drafted a s*x offender. No way I want this douche of a person near our team. 

Edit: mods ily pls don’t get mad at me 

(TW/NSFW)

I read about that case and I believe he was underaged himself and sent photos around to teammates. The victim herself was over 18. 

Sweden has a very strict policy in regards to sending photos around without consent. For a nation where the age of consent is literally 14 or 15, I find it laughable they made him a registered sex offender. I mean I get what he did was wrong, but the photos weren’t of a minor, and he was a minor himself. What he did is still terribly bad and he still deserved to not be eligible for his draft, but given the context in this situation I don’t think he deserves to be called a sex offender. A sex offender is reserved for pedophiles, rapists, and sexual abusers. Not some minor who sent a photo of an of age girl to a bunch of teammates, no matter how terribly nasty it was.

16 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Imagine firing a bad GM and replacing him with another bad GM that also happens to be a $&!# person.

If Berg is hired then everything is for not. At least Benning shipped out the sex offenders instead of bringing them in.

Berg's first order of business would be dealing for Evander

3 minutes ago, Odd. said:

(TW/NSFW)

I read about that case and I believe he was underaged himself and sent photos around to teammates. The victim herself was over 18. 

Sweden has a very strict policy in regards to sending photos around without consent. For a nation where the age of consent is literally 14 or 15, I find it laughable they made him a registered sex offender. I mean I get what he did was wrong, but the photos weren’t of a minor, and he was a minor himself. What he did is still terribly bad and he still deserved to not be eligible for his draft, but given the context in this situation I don’t think he deserves to be called a sex offender. A sex offender is reserved for pedophiles, rapists, and sexual abusers. Not some minor who sent a photo of an of age girl to a bunch of teammates, no matter how terribly nasty it was.

Personally, I disagree with this. A sex offender is someone who commited a crime involving a sexual act. I think this qualifies to me. The ones that bother me are cases of people getting hit with indecent exposer for peeing in a park when it's dark and no one's around, and stuff like that.

14 hours ago, Devron44 said:

It’s not wasted. We have some legit pieces 

Yes, it's been a journey. Definitely a lot of ups and down and quite exciting actually. We have amassed some great pieces. It's pretty funny and telling how unexperienced and over critical some of our fans are though. Rebuilding for 8 years while going to the playoffs twice and seeing two stars age out for 4 years in addition is such a short time hockey wise really. Especially seeing as how we were one of the most successful teams (winning games) from 2000 - 2011. Talk about impatience. Just wait 32 more years or 4 more Bennings and then talk to me about wasted time lol.

Look around the league from the Oilers, Coyotes, Leafs, Hurricanes, Flames, Wild, Predators, Sabres, Panthers, Senators, Habs, Blue Jackets, to the Devils, etc.. These teams just to name a few have all been rebuilding/retooling for the last 20 years or so with small successes thrown in and the Leafs and Hurricanes starting to show what fans here expect from the Canucks all the time. The Blackhawks spent about 20-25 years at the bottom of the league before their emergence. Unfortunately a lot of people are going to finally understand how hard winning is in the NHL.

I almost feel sorry for these folks when this change from our (idiotic GM and coach :picard:) doesn't put us in the Stanley Cup final by next year. Well not really ... I guess they'll be silent for a week or two at least (hopefully) with  nothing to bitch about currently. I just chuckle inside because there aren't many people left they can verbally abuse from behind their keyboards ... but I'm sure they'll get creative eventually. :lol:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

24 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Imagine firing a bad GM and replacing him with another bad GM that also happens to be a $&!# person.

If Berg is hired then everything is for not. At least Benning shipped out the sex offenders instead of bringing them in.

I doubt that MB will be hired here.  Aqua cant be that dumb.  Does any fan here support a MB signing. 

• Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, Primal Optimist said:

I am hopeful for a trade that moves out a top sixer for a top two pairing minute munching D who can, you know, play Defense.

Shifting problems

Need to build legitimate asset depth before you can make moves to acquire impact players without severely neutering another area of your team

29 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Hahahahahahaha

Just now, Shayster007 said:

Personally, I disagree with this. A sex offender is someone who commited a crime involving a sexual act. I think this qualifies to me. The ones that bother me are cases of people getting hit with indecent exposer for peeing in a park when it's dark and no one's around, and stuff like that.

Morally speaking, I agree, it’s a $&!#ty thing to do and it’s definitely illegal to share someone’s photos without. But when your country allows individuals 20+ and over to consent to legal sex with a 14/15 year olds, it’s a huge head scratcher of that in itself. 

The thing is, he was a minor. In my eyes, he hasn’t sexually abused anyone physically. Is he a piece of $&!#? For sure. Do I think he’s still redeemable? Absolutely. 

I can see him being a sex offender here or America. But again, Sweden? 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, iceman64 said:

team will be dismantled, picks given away, sell the farm... we'll be a really good regular season, fast, soft team with no depth.. the two 1 trick ponies we had proved that too. Now nothing will change, JB was just learning not to try the same way but it could have been anyone but public opinion wants what it wants and ownership will bow.

Nothing new... oh well.. Been that way until JB arrived but even he bent to it signing LE when the public outright demanded it to out a previous 30 goal scorer with the Twins. 

This is why we're screwed... LARGE! 

Wow for a ice man you need to chill, you'll have a meltdown and  be only a puddle of yourself

Who said we are trading everyone?

Picks were already given away - why will we now ?

We'll be a really good fast regular season team now? - I hope so

Soft team with no depth? - How did you see us as tough now? Guys don't play or defend each other now and already soft 

Nothing will change? - You just contradicted yourself

JB was learning not to try the same way? - How?, because his vision was build from the 4th line out - not the goalie out ?

JB bent on signing  LE ? - JB was excited and praised LE and knew him from Boston and probably pushed it, he had more info on LE to share than anyone and was GM

Don't be so down, like the Canucks have been with JB in charge

Since he has been the GM we have been 26 out of 31 teams in winning %

We can't go down much further

We are still last in our division and the league 8 years later

Don't despair

It is a wonderful time for a iceman, It is snowing outside, have a freezee , take Stone Cold's advice and chill out ;)

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Morally speaking, I agree, it’s a $&!#ty thing to do and it’s definitely illegal to share someone’s photos without. But when your country allows individuals 20+ and over to consent to legal sex with a 14/15 year olds, it’s a huge head scratcher of that in itself. 

The thing is, he was a minor. In my eyes, he hasn’t sexually abused anyone physically. Is he a piece of $&!#? For sure. Do I think he’s still redeemable? Absolutely. 

I can see him being a sex offender here or America. But again, Sweden? 

Agreed about age of consent, zero argument there. Technically you are correct, he hasn't physically absurd anyone. But his actions would have surely been concidered sexual abuse mentally on the victim.

I want to make it very clear I'm not trying to shame you for your opinion or anything. I appreciate being able to have a honest conversation on these subjects. But when it comes to the Sweden thing I disagree again. Because their ago of consent is lower, I'm glad that they clearly take these actions very seriously. One of my Pops favorite quotes comes to mind in this regard. "Little ones need protecting", I think by taking actions like this very seriously it may help protect people since their age of consent is low.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mo Grit said:

December 5th 2021

......  "a date which will live in infamy".

The day an axe was swung through Benning's exposed hockey failings.

This was finally a team of his own making.

No excuses.

Nothing better for us than Scott Walker arriving.

We've long needed a couple like him out on the ice, to end the Ghandi experiment.

Mebbe our future head coach, with an aging Boudreau heading upstairs.

A date to remember where we all were when the news hit.

You seem to know your history. Ever listen to Dan Carlins Hardcore History podcast?

I remember being about 11 when we lost Walker to NSH. 11 yr old me was gutted.