The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Jim Benning, name Stan Smyl as interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Crossing my fingers and hoping Stan approaches Tryamkin about signing with the Canucks.

Big Russki might re-consider now that Benning is gone.

Smyl: Hey, Nikki. Benning's gone. 

Tryamkin: Benning gone? Khoroshiy. You pay me what I want, and give me lot of ice time I want. da?

Smyl: We're offering what we believe is a fair contract, and the coach will determine how much TOI you get. Get in the car.

Tryamkin: Het.

regards,  G.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Me_ said:

I was a big supporter of Benning and I liked most of his moves. I would’ve liked to see him through with another coach. 

I have no confidence in Smyl making the moves we need. We will see where all of this goes.

Hopefully they bring in a very experienced guy to compete with the Oilers’ GM Holland. He’s a superstar GM.

I think the management crew announced is just saying the lights are on and we are still running a business. They are working through the process and will hire a GM and maybe POHO. 
There is an interim tag there unlike BB who got a two year deal which is about as short as a coach can get. 

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Me_ said:

I have no confidence in Smyl making the moves we need. We will see where all of this goes.

Hopefully they bring in a very experienced guy to compete with the Oilers’ GM Holland. He’s a superstar GM.

Hey

if you replace smyl with Benning that’s how I’ve felt for a few years. 5 to be exact. 

i do hope we bring in a president and a GM who are both proven.
And not spineless puppet yes man lapdog shiles. 

So I’m ok smyl and the committee until then. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

14 minutes ago, Me_ said:

I was a big supporter of Benning and I liked most of his moves. I would’ve liked to see him through with another coach. 

Smyl is a placeholder and is going to help the team interview and find a new GM and maybe even a President of hockey ops?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Probably one of the worse moment of Benning's tenure was the failure to trade Hamhuis for assets! It was reported that Dallas offered Benning a package at the TDL and Benning mulled it over only for Dallas to offer Calgary the same package for Kris Russell and Calgary accepted and then Dallas circled back to Vancouver with a lesser package and Benning hung up on them and as a result, Hamhuis walked for nothing! If true, Benning had no leverage in this deal as Hamhuis had a NTC and was willing to waive to go to Dallas so Benning had to take what he can get!

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Doubt there will be any trades until they hire a new GM.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

30 minutes ago, Industrious1 said:

Does this mean we are going to hold onto our 2nd round draft picks again?

I hope so!! That way we can draft the 2nd round gems that Gillis did.

Such hits as...

Yann Sauve, Anton Rodin and who could forget Alexandre Mallet.

Where are the other 2nd round picks you might ask? He traded 3 of them away.

Edited by coryberg
  • Haha 2
  • RoughGame 1

7 minutes ago, TheRick said:

Probably one of the worse moment of Benning's tenure was the failure to trade Hamhuis for assets! It was reported that Dallas offered Benning a package at the TDL and Benning mulled it over only for Dallas to offer Calgary the same package for Kris Russell and Calgary accepted and then Dallas circled back to Vancouver with a lesser package and Benning hung up on them and as a result, Hamhuis walked for nothing! If true, Benning had no leverage in this deal as Hamhuis had a NTC and was willing to waive to go to Dallas so Benning had to take what he can get!

The poor conversion of vet assets to future prospects and picks was the biggest weakness of the Benning era IMHO. 

15 minutes ago, spur1 said:

I’m okay with Green getting fired. JB not so much. 

I liked Benning very much. I don’t think he should’ve re-signed Green. That was his demise.

Another faux pas for me was to let go of all of Markstrom, Tanev and Toffoli. I’m pretty sure that killed the team spirit. We say a sudden arrogant nonchalance in Pettersson and Miller, and Horvat was trying to hide it and be professional with the losses but it still

showed. 

Here’s to Boudreau having success.

8 minutes ago, TheRick said:

I heard Dallas used vancouver to lower the price on Russell and then circled back with an insulting offer of a 4th round pick at the last second. A 4th round pick in one of the shallowest drafts of all time is not worth being embarrassed and shown you are a pushover to the whole league. I would have hung up too.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, TheRick said:

He ran out of time that time again at that time you know.

• Vintage 1