The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Jim Benning, name Stan Smyl as interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

Benning undervalued coaching.

Always bargain bin shopping, Willie, Green, re signing Green after a terrible season.

That's on JB, coaching is important 

I don't know. I think Green was alright for us when he was 1st brought up. It's just very common that, after a few years, a coach's words seem to start falling on deaf ears and a change meeds to be made. Remember times like when Boeser 1st entered the league and how that was presented to him? You could ssee the comradery in that locker room at that point.

I do agree though that Green probably should have been fired earlier though if Benning wanted to keep his job.

Edited by The Lock

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

I don't know. I think Green was alright for us when he was 1st brought up. It's just very common that, after a few years, a coach's words seem to start falling on deaf ears and a change meeds to be made. Remember times like when Boeser 1st entered the league and how that was presented to him? You could ssee the comradery in that locker room at that point.

All coaches are hired to be fired as the old saying goes.  Good ones or bad ones.  Not fair but it is reality.

4 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Goalie development has always been strong thru various Canuck GMs going back to Dave Nonis.  If there’s one good thing the Canucks are good at is developing goalies.

That and trading for the right goalies most of the time. Luongo was good for us, Marky was good for us (albeit that took a while). Miller was good for us, etc.

• Cheers 1

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Gotcha.  Rebuilding teams deal away their first round picks two out of the last three years.

Lol.  I guess given your handle,  you haven't been around long so will give you some slack.    I don't want to engage about JB, felt he was an above average drafted because so far all the evidence of that was there, but made too many mistakes along the way to get any more rope so glad he's gone.   Putting this on coaching is a double edged sword debate that.   Who coached EP, BB, QHs anyways?  Won't be passing any sort of judgement on coaching for a while yet.    As far as our team goes, well it never bottomed out.   Yet everyone who likes to bash JB keeps bringing up the 8 long years...Did you do that too?  Were you willing to wait two or three more years to do the total tank thing?   Rebuild didn't start until 2017, and i don't care what anyone says it wouldn't have regardless of who was running the show.   That's the cost of having a great team for 5/6 years which we did.   Go see Detroit  ... they had to rebuild their rebuild and didn't have nearly the BS contracts we did other the Kronwall.    Don't be so angry about it.   These things do take a lot of time ... and if your angry the correct target is 100% expansion.   21 teams ... wonder why they call it  that the golden era of hockey?  No cap, no salary disclosed, could stack teams, way way way tougher and rougher, and way more skilled even with a redline.   Although that absolutely sped up the game, which it also would have done back then.    Try waiting 48 years.   Then get back to me. 

Just now, IBatch said:

Lol.  I guess given your handle,  you haven't been around long so will give you some slack.    I don't want to engage about JB, felt he was an above average drafted because so far all the evidence of that was there, but made too many mistakes along the way to get any more rope so glad he's gone.   Putting this on coaching is a double edged sword debate that.   Who coached EP, BB, QHs anyways?  Won't be passing any sort of judgement on coaching for a while yet.    As far as our team goes, well it never bottomed out.   Yet everyone who likes to bash JB keeps bringing up the 8 long years...Did you do that too?  Were you willing to wait two or three more years to do the total tank thing?   Rebuild didn't start until 2017, and i don't care what anyone says it wouldn't have regardless of who was running the show.   That's the cost of having a great team for 5/6 years which we did.   Go see Detroit  ... they had to rebuild their rebuild and didn't have nearly the BS contracts we did other the Kronwall.    Don't be so angry about it.   These things do take a lot of time ... and if your angry the correct target is 100% expansion.   21 teams ... wonder why they call it  that the golden era of hockey?  No cap, no salary disclosed, could stack teams, way way way tougher and rougher, and way more skilled even with a redline.   Although that absolutely sped up the game, which it also would have done back then.    Try waiting 48 years.   Then get back to me. 

Dude. Take a timeout. The guy you are saying "hasn't been around here long" has almost 10 years longer than you do on this forum. If you need to start attacking someone like this, it's a tell-tale sign you're losing a debate.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Dude. Take a timeout. The guy you are saying "hasn't been around here long" has almost 10 years longer than you do on this forum. If you need to start attacking someone like this, it's a tell-tale sign you're losing a debate.

It’s ok.  He’s just angry.:)

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

48 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Absolutely agree.   In the same sense, like it was for MG after Burke and Nonis, until the next core emerges what happens next also will have JB fingerprints all over it in the same way.  Think your overvaluing the coaching.   Time will tell on that, for sure Green will get another job if he wants it.   hAre you saying a better coach would have turned EP and QHs and BB into even better players?  Seems like that.    Green was there when they started, nurtured them and have them the minutes to succeed - QHs acknowledged that and thanked both JB and Green for the opportunity.   We've won the first game.   I'm not passing judgement until the next time this team goes through a losing streak with the new coach.   And i'm happy that JB is gone.  Team needed a change, he made too many mistakes .. and i find Bruce refreshing as well.   Wonder what you will say about this the first losing streak though.     

Out of all my time watching Canucks hockey , I've never seems losing streak like the one under Green. Whether it was Mark Crawford or AV. AV had one real bad one but even then , it felt like we were in games. The spec teams were fine. 

I'm curious now , what Boudreau's biggest losing streaks were.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Ok so with those ten years of more "forum" experience, why not wait a little longer before passing judgement on coaching and the team JB 100% assembled with the exception of Horvat which they also developed?   I think that making this all about coaching is very pre-mature.   The same coach that was there when BB, EP and QHs were calder finalists.    If anyone had been around for a couple decades, they should know that coaching changes often create a bump at the start, and the same flaws come out later.   Would you agree?  And sometimes, it doesn't go like that at all.   We aren't St. Louis  so no cup coming.   It's ok to admit that both JB and TG did their best, and that better people could do their jobs.  And to see the flaws at the same time.   Guess that's what i'm trying to communicate and acknowledge the good work that was actually done.   Too much hate on this site - and getting tired of calling it out, and yes it does make me angry too.   Couldn't care less if i'm "losing a debate".   If anyone can provide me with non-parroted data from a good source i'm all ears.   But if this is attacking, then thanks for calling me out too.   

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Out of all my time watching Canucks hockey , I've never seems losing streak like the one under Green. Whether it was Mark Crawford or AV. AV had one real bad one but even then , it felt like we were in games. The spec teams were fine. 

I'm curious now , what Boudreau's biggest losing streaks were.

I've been watching since the 70's.   Not often and a kid back then... Bobby Clark was my fave because his hair was awesome.

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Yeah, something about Detroit accumulating tons of picks like JB did.:lol:

Detroit cycle and SJ cycle is the closest too us.   SJ and Wilson's endless re-tool worked!  Went to the final.  No teams won as much as Detroit-VAN-SJ from 2000-2014.   Detroit re-set their rebuild when Holland left.   Still have Bertuzzi who's getting old, and Larkin, same age as Horvat.   For sure we will have to consider doing the same soon enough, and for sure SJ is not going to be a top team for a long time yet given the head start both Detroit and Vancouver have on them.  Yzerman picking Seider was one ballsy move.   Wonder what our fanbase would have done if we picked a guy on the low 20's at the top of round? Most had Broberg (EDM-Edler comp best case) ahead of him.   Better "skater".     We will find out over the next two or three years for sure.    I'm happy we changed things up.   And hope that the next management group can really fix things.   That starts with making some very tough decisions on Miller.   And possibly Horvat too.   Sell high buy low and all of that. 

15 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Ok so with those ten years of more "forum" experience, why not wait a little longer before passing judgement on coaching and the team JB 100% assembled with the exception of Horvat which they also developed?   I think that making this all about coaching is very pre-mature.   The same coach that was there when BB, EP and QHs were calder finalists.    If anyone had been around for a couple decades, they should know that coaching changes often create a bump at the start, and the same flaws come out later.   Would you agree?  And sometimes, it doesn't go like that at all.   We aren't St. Louis  so no cup coming.   It's ok to admit that both JB and TG did their best, and that better people could do their jobs.  And to see the flaws at the same time.   Guess that's what i'm trying to communicate and acknowledge the good work that was actually done.   Too much hate on this site - and getting tired of calling it out, and yes it does make me angry too.   Couldn't care less if i'm "losing a debate".   If anyone can provide me with non-parroted data from a good source i'm all ears.   But if this is attacking, then thanks for calling me out too.   

I think perhaps you are mixed up criticism with judgement. Those may seem like similar concepts; yet, one has an open mind while the other is more closed-minded in terms of tonality.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to acknowledge good work, but there's also nothing wrong with pointing out Green's losing streak either. Even you, yourself, just said that it's okay to see the flaws. The losing streak is one such flaw. There is, afterall, a reason why he was fired in the end, and it wasn't just for "doing good work".

I get wanting to be positive and in no way would I condemn that. In fact, I would encourage positivity because we need that, but don't mix up being critical with being judgemental either. After all, if there was no such thing as negativity in the world, how would we ever be able to see the positives? ;)

Anyway, my rambling aside, I think perhaps there's a miscommunication here between you and Newbie. Just something to consider.

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, combover said:

http://mcubed.net/nhl/van/astrkglr.shtml

canucks longest losing streaks. 
BF5E048C-B8E8-4895-A5CE-43E8769E50CE.jpeg.8afa99b613f75a7d2dd1be5f25db994c.jpeg

One off the franchise worst twice. 

Combover i was hoping you'd stop after the changes made.  Same with a few others.   When a team is rebuilding like ours, of course we will have some losing streaks.   Funny thing is the losing streaks we've had under Green included a lot of one goal games. The ones i remember from the late 90's we were hilariously outplayed and totally outgunned.   Same with the 80's.  That won't be part of your examples though will it?  And 2016 we hadn't made the shift yet from re-fool to rebuild.   That's the Sedin era's last gasp.    It was awful for sure.   Is there anything that you do like, from the JB era? 

• Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Lmao they 'joined forum in 2006'. As a fellow 2006'er I am compelled to defend my long time CDC pals. 

Edited by awalk