The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Jim Benning, name Stan Smyl as interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

On 12/6/2021 at 3:47 AM, JohnTavares said:

What exactly was Benning doing here?  What was the direction?  To build one of the most expensive, inefficient defenses in Canuck history?  To rely on Thatcher Demko, a young goalie in his second year as a starter to shoulder the load and play like at a Vezina calibre level every game?  To bring in depth forwards that provided little to no secondary scoring (Dickinson, Dowling, Chiasson, Highmore, and Lammiko combined for 3 ES goals, 10 ES points in 85 games)?

I'm still baffled by what people are saying here.  8 years of failure and it's still "oh I like the direction he was going in".

The direction didn't yield any results.  Imagine if you hired a financial advisor who consistently lost YOUR money year over year for 8 years. Would anyone be saying "Oh I liked the direction though!"?  This is a results based business.  Benning never even had a clear direction or plan anyway.  This JB nut hugging is borderline cult like.

ok so what did you miss starting in 2013?  or were you a fan back then?

21 hours ago, Dazzle said:

People are simply blinded by the fact that he signed supplementary players that outperformed their contracts, plain and simple. Gillis was very good at getting these players. What he wasn't so good was making the big splash trade that put his team over the top.

I remember him trading a 2nd for Derek Roy + Connauton. Connauton didn't even play a single game with the Canucks. And that 2nd, well, it was a long list of picks he threw away when trying to push for a cup.

Then there was the Michael Grabner + 1st for Ballard.

Awful, just awful trades.

So awful trades and terrible drafting but people want him back.  Crazy stuff......

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

So awful trades and terrible drafting but people want him back.  Crazy stuff......

Making me wonder what the heck is wrong with Don Taylor these days. Didn't think we needed to fire Green and is now advocating for Gillis :lol:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Making me wonder what the heck is wrong with Don Taylor these days. Didn't think we needed to fire Green and is now advocating for Gillis :lol:

Total insanity. Ray Ferraro and Craig Button both believe Green is high quality material, but neither of them address why Boudreau could power up a deflated roster that Green had. Makes me wonder they don't want to step on their boy Green.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Total insanity. Ray Ferraro and Craig Button both believe Green is high quality material, but neither of them address why Boudreau could power up a deflated roster that Green had. Makes me wonder they don't want to step on their boy Green.

I'm not entirely convinced Green is a 'bad' coach despite the last year or so here. But it's clear something wasn't working here. And regardless of what people think of Benning, the roster and key players were MASSIVELY underperforming. The team needed a change.

Coaches have expiry dates .

5 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Green and Ferrari are long time friends, there is one reason for Ferrari

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

I'm not entirely convinced Green is a 'bad' coach despite the last year or so here. But it's clear something wasn't working here. And regardless of what people think of Benning, the roster and key players were MASSIVELY underperforming. The team needed a change.

Coaches have expiry dates .

I don't believe Green is a bad coach rather his style did not suit the players and he's not the type of coach who adapts. Green is a systems coach and needs to have the players who match his system much like Desjardins. Boudreau can adapt and seems like he suits a younger team because it appears veteran teams tend to tune him out after a while. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, aGENT said:

Actually, he did think Green needed to be fired.  His point was only that it made more sense to let a new GM hire his own coach rather than saddle him with a previous hire, which is totally fair.

It has since been reported that Boudreau is only signed until the end of the season with an extra option year so a new GM could still hire their own person if Boudreau didn’t do well.

I also listened to the show and he was literally mocking Ryan the producer for loving Gillis so much.  They just talked about a bunch of approaches the team could take.

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Thing is, it wasn't rocket science that the deployment, lack of times outs and the way he utilized the roster as a whole were not lending themselves to the strengths of the team.  Many here saw it.

Green & Co. seemed a bit stubborn in that it felt like they were determined to stay the course and prove that their ideas were the right ones if the team stuck to them.  I'm not sure that was true.  He got stuck in the mud and wouldn't budge or be creative.  

Bruce seems to keep it pretty simple in that he doesn't like dropping back in a defensive stance...he prefers a more aggressive challenge on the puck.  He also allows the guys to do what plays into their strengths...for instance, telling Brock to shoot.  Even after last night, he still wants him to shoot more (Petey too).  That's how they'll get their scoring back on track.

Bruce hates the 1-3-1, calls it boring hockey.  He likes to pressure in all zones.  

Part of it is obviously that it had just grown stale, frustration had set in and the coaches didn't have the answers anymore.  Fresh perspective offered a fresh slate.  And it's working so far.  Bruce has faith in the talent here...Green put the words out there, but I'm not sure he truly believed them in the end.  

I think he'd sort of resorted to the fact that his team wasn't doing it right.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

President please! I'm ok with Rutherford as president and a younger guy perhaps with more modern takes for GM for a broader range of perspectives. Maybe one of the current AVS or Canes AGM'S

9 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 3
  • Vintage 1