The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Jim Benning, name Stan Smyl as interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just another interesting thought... Why since the aquallini family took over full ownership of this team, we haven't had one, not one previously experienced GM or POHO hired!?  I'm wondering if this ISN'T because Frank and fam want new blood running their team as much as, no GM with experience wants to work for an ownership group that likes to be more 'hand on' in the day to day.  Not enough anonymity maybe?

3 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

When it wouldn't be for the GM job I would think.  Problem is, you would think you want a President who is good at smoozing with the "old boys network".  That ain't Gillis.  Actually Benning would be better qualified for that.  Despite his failures as a GM here, I'd guess he's got good relations with the 'fat-cats/top level executives" throughout the league.  But that's just my opinion.

3 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I seem to recall that Gillis had a pretty difficult time making trades as well, which I think was attributed to his days as an agent dealing with GMs. With turnover in the league it would probably be easier these days, but it's still worth noting. 

There are better options out there for both a President and GM role.

Tulsky and MacFarland are probably the best names out there for a GM spot. Both guys have done their part in helping the Avs and Canes to have the success they have had.

Lombardi, Rutherford, Tallon, Shero probably guys you could look at in a Presidential role.

Probably missed a few guys.

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Would this be an issue if Gilman were stepping into the GM role as opposed to Gillis? Wasn't Gillis president of a team over in Europe for a while or something?

He was on the board of directors. The Canucks job is still Gillis's only ever job as a GM.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Tulsky and MacFarland are probably the best names out there for a GM spot. Both guys have done their part in helping the Avs and Canes to have the success they have had.

Lombardi, Rutherford, Tallon, Shero probably guys you could look at in a Presidential role.

A Lombardi/McFarland combo would be my dream team.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Just another interesting thought... Why since the aquallini family took over full ownership of this team, we haven't had one, not one previously experienced GM or POHO hired!?  I'm wondering if this ISN'T because Frank and fam want new blood running their team as much as, no GM with experience wants to work for an ownership group that likes to be more 'hand on' in the day to day.  Not enough anonymity maybe?

no

46 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

Gillis was at the helm during the best years we have ever had. Our amateur scouting dept is much better now.

I wouldn't be opposed to it but I'd rather go in a different direction.

Gillis/Gillman>>>Benning/Weisbrod

Gillis sucked, holy crap.

He was good at supplementing his rosters, but he never found a way to draft a replacement player from the core players he was given. He had lots of chances in the draft, and made several risky trades, like the Horvat for Schneider one. He mismanaged Luongo/Schneider, and he also allowed Torts to bench Luongo in the winter classic.

Gillis set this team really far back with his piss poor drafting and development. He didn't even draft a goaltender ala Demko in the second round.

The dude doesn't deserve another GM job, despite his successes around 2011.

29 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

Absolutely, I remember the same... And another reason he hasn't gotten a job since.  He was great at getting the right pieces to complement the core through FA signings.  But from within his circle of peers, he was never one of them.  

I'm actually really surprised how we have a number of fans that want him back.

People choosing to remember the runs he had, rather than waking up to reality. Imagine having a rich kid spending his parents money, while finding no way of replenishing it. It was just as irresponsible, even if the comparison is admittedly not entirely accurate.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

No what?  Elaborate.

I bet if an experienced NHL President or GM was available and Vancouver is looking then there would no doubt be interest. Its not a matter of meddling, every owner meddles, signs off on deals, decisions etc. The team came out yesterday and again tried to explain what happens in the chain of command and people keeping within their roles and yet people still think there is this big meddling issue among the Canucks owners.

The same media and " hockey community " that praised the owners when the team was winning and a model franchise in the NHL are running with this meddling too hands on narrative that simply just isn't as big a deal as some are making it out to be. Its tiring to hear this continue is all, so my simple " no " was in response to the idea you presented. No disrespect meant.

There is only 32 of these jobs around, there will be up and coming and experienced people vying for such a job or at the least considering it. Many variables including the pressure in Vancouver to consider but as a major city in North America, one of the better cities to work, live, play in is absolutely an attractive option. Couple that with the team in place its desirable.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I bet if an experienced NHL President or GM was available and Vancouver is looking then there would no doubt be interest. Its not a matter of meddling, every owner meddles, signs off on deals, decisions etc. The team came out yesterday and again tried to explain what happens in the chain of command and people keeping within their roles and yet people still think there is this big meddling issue among the Canucks owners.

The same media and " hockey community " that praised the owners when the team was winning and a model franchise in the NHL are running with this meddling too hands on narrative that simply just isn't as big a deal as some are making it out to be. Its tiring to hear this continue is all, so my simple " no " was in response to the idea you presented. No disrespect meant.

There is only 32 of these jobs around, there will be up and coming and experienced people vying for such a job or at the least considering it. Many variables including the pressure in Vancouver to consider but as a major city in North America, one of the better cities to work, live, play in is absolutely an attractive option. Couple that with the team in place its desirable.

Okay... Well thought out response, with a credible theory... Thanks for that.  You are probably right... Even if you aren't, there is nothing we can do about it anyway and there's no point in whining about it...  But to go with the same theme.  Why if it hasn't gotten them to the top and won them a cup, do they continue to hire newbies to the most important position in their organization? 

My point overall is... Do something different this time and not repeat the same mistakes again and I'll continue to believe these owners can bring us the cup.  So far so good.... Boudreau IS a very experienced coach.  Hopefully more experienced GM or POHO hired this time around.

Edited by Hogs & Podz
  • Cheers 1

Looking at Gillis' drafts in VAN, he only had a Top 10 pick twice.  

Cody Hodgson and Bo Horvat

The rest of his 1st rounders were #22, #29 and #26.  Not really going to get an amazing player there. Sure, Benning got a good one in Boeser.

Gillis never had the high picks Benning had, though.  

2 hours ago, Provost said:

We currently have nothing left and are at the bottom of the league… so that seems like an OK trade off.

Joking aside, I think Gillis was smart enough to recognize a window to contend and acted appropriately.  Trading away futures for immediate help is smart when you are near the top of the league.  Same with giving away NTC contracts in exchange for lower cap hits to keep the team together… really smart move that gave us the best stretch of success in team history.

That is in contrast to Benning who gave away tons of future assets when we were years away from contending then chided us for not being patient.  Even the Miller move was wrong as we will have done nothing for his entire contract here, so it was premature to give up a high pick that could be a useful piece when we were ready to contend.  One short playoff appearance isn’t even useful when you let most of the guys who learned from it go to other teams.

Mike Gillis traded one of his firsts, that's it, and got a better one back eventually for Schneider.   That first was for Ballard, essentially a depth D, later bought out Booth too..for sure the clauses and Luongo's contract helped keep the core together though.  

10 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

The rest of his 1st rounders were #22, #29 and #26.  Not really going to get an amazing player there. Sure, Benning got a good one in Boeser.

Now look at JBs selections after round 1 and compare it to Gillis.  Night and day.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

Gillis sucked, holy crap.

He was good at supplementing his rosters, but he never found a way to draft a replacement player from the core players he was given. He had lots of chances in the draft, and made several risky trades, like the Horvat for Schneider one. He mismanaged Luongo/Schneider, and he also allowed Torts to bench Luongo in the winter classic.

Gillis set this team really far back with his piss poor drafting and development. He didn't even draft a goaltender ala Demko in the second round.

The dude doesn't deserve another GM job, despite his successes around 2011.

I'd rather Gillman for GM anyway, Gillis for Pres

To be fair I did say I'd rather go in another direction.

Gillis had his short comings but he's way better than Benning overall imo

Edited by BlakeQuinnAndEggs
  • Wat 1

2 hours ago, BureBurrito said:
LeBrun on Insider Trading: Perhaps Mike Gills and Laurence Gilman could be brought back in their old Canucks roles although elevated, Gillis as President and Gilman as GM...Among the many possibilities the Canucks owners look at, I think Gillis and Gilman would be a possibility.

------------------------------
Still doubtful Gillis makes a return personally but interesting to see the rumors flying.

Gillis in his tenure was given the MO to be a contender during the core's peak (which they were 1 game from winning it all). His major weakness was drafting (albeit low rounds and also giving away picks). What would be interesting is Gillis picking at the top or mid rounds and using more analytics to do so only if he's allowed to truly rebuild. 

A Gillis-like GM and PoHO execution and delivery is exactly what this franchise/city needs to keep Aqua out from meddling and put the city back on top with its fans and the league respectability.

As far fetched as it seems, I won’t completely discount the possibility of Gillis returning as PoHO.

If memory serves, Luigi Aquilini tried to get Gillis to step down as GM but stay on as President. Gillis refused. And was later fired from both positions.

I could see some members of the family still holding MG in high regard. It was his performance as GM, in the later phase of his tenure, that was found to be lacking, and ultimately cost him his job. I don’t think the owners had any issues with his work as President of CSE, however.

17 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

MG and the last few years of Nonis was the worst period of drafting the clubs ever had.   Was dreadful.   And he didn't even trade many picks away like a lot of top teams (Detroit) do...not the JB was a god at it, but above average (which he was) plus picking where we did sure helped too. 

37 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Benning picks up good players in rounds 2 and up though.....Gillis was a disaster at the draft.  

I'm a bit forgetful here, but I'm recalling Gilman doing the contract signings, the draft being hopeless and a couple of trades working out.  What exactly do people remember Gillis doing that made him a decent GM?  Is it that the team was good then and so it's attributed to him and not his predecessor who built most of the team?  Serious question.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Devron44 said:

But how do you know that for sure. Is it a known fact? I’ve heard the media question the GM many times on this exact subject and every-time the GM says no. Unless it’s just a simple signature? Or are people implying that every decision is dictated by the owner? I can understand setting a budget like during the Covid year there was gonna be no buyouts. 

It just feels like some people believe a certain thing and then it becomes a fact to them. Not saying this is the case but I’ve seen it a few times lately and every time I ask I get no reply. You’re the first one lol

I do not have any articles . I can remember Gillis commenting on the relationship he had with the owners. He made it clear that anything to do with money had to be ran by them.  I am not suggesting the daily decisions. 

Every trade involves salaries. They cut the checks. The GM goes to them with ideas, trades and the overall direction that he sees is needed. The owners say yes or no. They have the final say.

I think all teams work that way.  That is how any corporation works. 

• Cheers 1