The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Los Angeles Kings at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 06, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

watching the game tonight i was impressed the way the D played as there appeared to be no sit back and wait for the play to come to them. I think it threw the Kings a bit that there was pressure on them in our end. Myers and Poolman actually looked decent.

The fore check was great and turned the puck over especially on the Lammiko goal.

The energy level was definitely higher than in previous games and we looked like a faster team.

Demko was his usual great self and got some run support finally. you cant win in this league scoring 2 goals or less every night

Pettersson had his best game of the season and looked dangerous again

Brock scores and played a lot better as well.

Bruce has had an effect on the team already. Looking forward to what he brings to the team longer term.

I posted earlier this week about needing an established NHL coach to replace Green. Well you couldnt find a more established coach than Boudreau.  Wins everywhere he has gone, never had a losing season.Pretty much the definition of what we were looking for.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

It was really great watching the team have fun again. 

You can tell that their mindset had a completely different attitude last night. 

Loved that he tried different guys on the pk. 

That's how you keep a team engaged. 

The team was totally stale and just walking through the motions with Green. 

Petterson didn't score but it's the hardest I've seen him skate in a while. Same with Boeser. 

I'm hoping we can keep this going. Coaching change usually sparks the team. I'm hoping that it's a catalyst for real change rather than short term effort. 

Loved our aggressiveness on the forecheck. So refreshing to see the other team panic and give up the puck rather than us for once

• Vintage 3

“When I shoot the puck I gain confidence,” said Boeser. “He (Boudreau) told me not to pass and shoot as many pucks as I could.

With all the changes, it’s a fresh start for everyone and we had the morning skate to work on the forecheck and really pressure teams, have a defenceman come down on the wall and have a guy covering and we got some more O-zone time and we’ll continue to work on it.”

The aggressive way they were applying pressure last night really showed.  They're not so passive and are much more engaged....it was really great to see the team find success last night.  It isn't going to be a cakewalk, this type of game requires an all in level of commitment and energy.  No floating around out there.

The way some are describing Boudreau as "infectious" is very much what I see here.   

Again, it's all fresh and positive right now and there will be struggles but I feel these guys almost have their leashes taken off and can just go out and play hockey.  Not overthink it and be a step behind as they do so.   I feel like the Green crew were at a loss of how to get these guys producing and really tried to focus on defense so much that it stifled the offense, which is very much where our strength lies.  Tactical stuff that was too complicated...keep it simple.  Like Brock said, "shoot as many pucks as I could".

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Only 1 game, but it sure looks like the reason we were losing wasn’t because of the team Jim Benning assembled, but because of how they were played by the coach.

JB be like darn should have could have would have if he can go back and not have resigned Green. But hey life is all about choices.

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, FaninMex said:

Always the most negative person.

Do we need to burn the team and start from scratch or can we push for a playoff spot and a decent record?

I wonder if you will be able to say anything positive now that we moved on... hmmmm

I am knowledgeable enough to realize that every GM “builds a team”. I have said lots of positive things. Funny how you complain about being negative when my entire post was telling a guy to stop being negative because his idol got fired. 

This team of players is fine. A playoff spot will be challenging this year due to how long they waited to clear the decks on management and coaching but the team finally has a new voice to hopefully get more out of them. It’s encouraging that just maybe after 8 years we will have a change to the real problem: a culture created by Benning and his coaches of excuse making and apathy toward losing. 

1 hour ago, mll said:

Where did you get your puck possession numbers from?  

Sportsnet I think.

They had a graph a few games ago showing us in 5th spot for puck possession. Might have been 5 on 5 play.

I had a look around, it's a hard stat to find on the web for this old man. 

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

He should have been fired right there. Bush league. 

LOL yeah

I was so pissed after training camp and then then it snowballed after a rough start to the year. Ah well. He's gone. 

Let's hope we go on a streak. 

What was the worst for me was seeing the players start losing confidence in themselves. They built up their entire lives being great hockey players and make it to the best league and even had success in their first few seasons as kids and to see them doubt themselves and looked confused every play where they were playing at 60% of their top speed because they  were overthinking things was very disheartening as a fan. 

I was really hoping we didn't have to trade any of the guys and somehow they would get back to playing like they can. I see that there might be some hope now. 

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Sportsnet I think.

They had a graph a few games ago showing us in 5th spot for puck possession. Might have been 5 on 5 play.

I had a look around, it's a hard stat to find on the web for this old man. 

Yeah I saw the same one. They were actually 2nd In the league. Maybe it was the Montreal game or the one before that 

3 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Yeah I saw the same one. They were actually 2nd In the league. Maybe it was the Montreal game or the one before that 

thanks,

It's a bugger to find a chart of it though.

(Team) Estimated Possession Time is what I think I'm looking for.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I think it's also that someone else is reaping what another person and his team has built. 

Gillis inherited Nonis and Burke's team before they were let go. 

Benning had to build from scratch essentially, and now there's a core that the next GM will build off of, and if the team wins the Cup, it's a combination of both. Benning built the core that would have won the team the cup, but the new GM would have added pieces to that existing core. So you can't say it's one GM's team over another. Credit has to be given to both men and their teams.

Benning didn’t have to build from scratch. He chose to not use the assets he had to rebuild. That was a Benning decision.

His only actual successful season was his first one where it was pretty much entirely Gillis’ team. 

He was able to draft high and get a core because his annual retool moves were off the charts train wrecks. 

• Thanks 1

Aggressive forecheck is what the team needed.  It makes the defending team make bad passes and judgement.  That leads to an opportunity like the Lammikko goal.

Not everyone makes the best plays/passes all the time.  Even in beer league hockey, you pressure the puck carrier.