The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Los Angeles Kings at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 06, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

11 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Obviously we both have differing opinions on this. 

I do agree that sometimes the best deal you make is not making the deal like you mention.

Also just to point it out, I'm not one of those fans that went in on Benning at the time just because he made those non-trades. I was just thinking it could've been nice at times given the situation.

If you believe Hamhuis was worth way more than what was offered and felt like letting him go for nothing was worth getting any sort of asset.... then we'll agree to disagree. 

IMHO, I believe that if you are in a losing situation (literally bottom three in the league in 2015-2016), you're not going to make the playoffs and you have an aging player that's past his prime...and a playoff contender inquires about this player that will walk in FA anyways, but offers you at least something for him, you take it. 

Purely my guess, but I think that Jim was sort of clueless/uncertain with what to do during that period (referring to the trade deadline with Hamhuis). Does he trade him? Does he not trade him? The year prior they made the playoffs so maybe ownership didn't want this sudden rebuild? If he had the clear plan of a rebuild, I think he would've made the deal at the deadline during the time. 

I'm not really buying this idea that Benning was exactly this shrewd and wary GM that would even think ahead about himself "saving face" in not doing those deals like the Hamhuis one. This is the same guy that made trades like McCann AND a 2nd for Erik Gudbranson, Kassian AND a 5th for Prust...etc.

He's been known to add unnecessary sweeteners (arguably) to deals which also kind of "exposes" himself to other GM's around the league. He's also known for making spontaneous, short-sighted FA signings like the Loui one, like the Beagle and Roussel ones as well and ends up screwing himself over. His record shows it. So I'm not convinced that he's this self aware GM that would even think about whether he's being taken advantage of or not.

Possibly, maybe Jim wanted to resign Hamhuis, but Hammer maybe wanted to play for a better team.  Who knows other than the canucks and Hamhuis.

34 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

Possibly, maybe Jim wanted to resign Hamhuis, but Hammer maybe wanted to play for a better team.  Who knows other than the canucks and Hamhuis.

I feel pretty confident Hamhuis wanted to retire a Canuck. But its not like you can just play the entire 2011 team out to retirement. 

I mean at least he got something for Bieksa and Kes. 

Would say at least JB won both of those trades.  

• Vintage 1

13 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Very true about hanging his hat on Green.  His ultimate mistake in my opinion.  And quite honestly, perhaps Green's assistants were a bigger part of the struggle.  Either way, it was time to move on.

Not sure what you mean about JB being guarded?  Curious though.

There were reports of him and Weisbroad (sp?) isolating themselves in regards to decisions about their plans.  Definitely time for a change and man does this reek of possibility.  BB could be exactly what this group needs.  Could be.....

4 hours ago, Green Building said:

@-Vintage Canuck- @-DLC- 

I read through the first 30 ish pages last night and noticed a few people asking where to find post game in a format other than re-hashed Twitter clips but there was no response. Is there really no live version available for people to watch? 

Have not caught up on the last 20 pages so apologies if this has already been addressed. 

There is no live feed this season for postgame interviews. The individual clips are available afterwards via Twitter or NHL video.

1 hour ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Obviously we both have differing opinions on this. 

I do agree that sometimes the best deal you make is not making the deal like you mention. That's why I said it was purely situational.

Also just to point it out, I'm not one of those fans that went in on Benning at the time just because he made those non-trades. I was just thinking it could've been nice at times given the situation.

If you believe Hamhuis was worth way more than what was offered and felt like letting him go for nothing was worth not getting any sort of asset.... then we'll agree to disagree. 

IMHO, I believe that if you are in a losing situation (literally bottom three in the league in 2015-2016), you're not going to make the playoffs and you have an aging player that's past his prime...and a playoff contender inquires about this player that will walk in FA anyways, but offers you at least something for him, you take it. 

Purely my guess, but I think that Jim was sort of clueless/uncertain with what to do during that period (referring to the trade deadline with Hamhuis). Does he trade him? Does he not trade him? The year prior they made the playoffs so maybe ownership didn't want this sudden rebuild? If he had the clear plan of a rebuild, I think he would've made the deal at the deadline during the time. 

I'm not really buying this idea that Benning was exactly this shrewd and wary GM that would even think ahead about himself "saving face" in not doing those deals like the Hamhuis one. This is the same guy that made trades like McCann AND a 2nd for Erik Gudbranson, Kassian AND a 5th for Prust...etc.

He's been known to add unnecessary sweeteners (arguably) to deals which also kind of "exposes" himself to other GM's around the league. He's also known for making spontaneous, short-sighted FA signings like the Loui one, like the Beagle and Roussel ones as well and ends up screwing himself over. His record shows it. So I'm not convinced that he's this self aware GM that would even think about whether he's being taken advantage of or not.

I think you are spot on on the clueless remark.

That was the first time Jim showed a serious lack of understanding

He got away with asking Jason Garrison to wave his NTC 

Maybe Garrison just didn't care and thought it was a mistake trying to play in his home town

and Jim thought he could ask Hamhius at the last minute (trade deadline) and Hammy would agree.

I think ( don't know) that Jim tried to hardball Hamhius, and Hamhius dug his heels in (having a NTC) and made sure Jim got nothing for him.

First sign of Jim having a lack of couth and problem solving ability

He did get Bieksa to wave , then stopped trying with Tanev and Edler

Maybe asking Bieksa hurt Jim's ego so badly that he never wanted to go there again

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, aliboy said:

Yes!! I am also no longer a fan!!

I lost a lot of respect for him the bubble year when the Canucks had all the calls go against them in this 1 game and Hirsch said it was because they weren't a good enough team and that when they improved they would start getting the calls go their way. Does he really think that's how the NHL operates? If so, how do you explain the 2011 Cup finals?

13 hours ago, JM_ said:

also when he does have to step in good things often happen. That deal of Boudreau's is one heck of a bargain, with year 2 as an option. Literally no risk. 

Spot on. A hell of a deal set up by FA.... Win/Win

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Yeah even having Francesco at 15:45 of the press conference come out and draw a very clear line between owner, manager, coach, player and that he supports his managers but THEY make the decisions was a nice but really unneeded thing for the owner to say. I have said it before the owner can do whatever they want, in Vancouver's case it is not the owner meddling and wreaking havoc on an otherwise structured front office. Further we may be surprised if we read up on the 31 other owners and find out how lucky Vancouver fans really are.

Unfortunately with the things being said from fans on social media, he probably felt it needed to be said.

Agree 100% fans don't realise how bad things easily could turn under another owner. FA has never been greedy, when it comes to the team.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, mll said:

Boudreau does a bag skate drill at the start of each camp to test players physical fitness.  It's timed and players even get their blood tested afterwards.  

He explains that he wants to be able to play at a pace that is comfortable for them but uncomfortable for their opponents and they have to have the conditioning for it.  

Players talk of how they are anxious about the test and the relief once it's over.  They have to do the drill 3 times with a 2 minute rest between each.  If they exceed the imposed times they go again for a 4th and even a 5th time.

Some players who have managed to complete the drill in 3 will volunteer for an additional rep to help out players who have to go again.  They don't want to let anyone struggling behind.  It's also part of team building.  

Oh my... better fire him right away for incompetence....:ph34r:

Joking aside, thanks for info mll... nice with some perspective. Sounds almost like the latter part is similar to the Grouse Grind, where the strong helps the weaker... I got you covered attitude...

5 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Oh my... better fire him right away for incompetence....:ph34r:

Joking aside, thanks for info mll... nice with some perspective. Sounds almost like the latter part is similar to the Grouse Grind, where the strong helps the weaker... I got you covered attitude...

So juolevi would still be on this team if boudrea was in charge at the start of the season???