The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Los Angeles Kings at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 06, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Outsiders said:

Canucks will address toughness going forward. Stan knows how important it is. Sedins always had tough guys in the lineup that allowed them to play their game. 

Sedins? Who did they have?

Burrows? lol

• Vintage 2

@-Vintage Canuck- @-DLC- 

I read through the first 30 ish pages last night and noticed a few people asking where to find post game in a format other than re-hashed Twitter clips but there was no response. Is there really no live version available for people to watch? 

Have not caught up on the last 20 pages so apologies if this has already been addressed. 

1 hour ago, aliboy said:

Corey Hirsch for one!! Not happy his buddy TG got fired, blamed everything on the players, I stopped watching after about a minute!

Corey Hirsch is a tool. I lost respect for him after the whole fabricated “Miller is the problem, he’s lost the whole room” job. Borderline slander

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Green Building said:

@-Vintage Canuck- @-DLC- 

I read through the first 30 ish pages last night and noticed a few people asking where to find post game in a format other than re-hashed Twitter clips but there was no response. Is there really no live version available for people to watch? 

Have not caught up on the last 20 pages so apologies if this has already been addressed. 

They all can be found here 

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/video/practice--coach-boudreau/t-277437438/c-9811064

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

A team that's struggling (much like the Canucks) who possess solid defense may be worth looking at to see if an impact forward can be trade for an impact defenseman.

Sure, but look around the league. How many teams fit this criteria:

- Legitimately have extra top-4 RD

- Need a top-6 forward in the 24-29 year-old range

- It can work cap wise

Can you think of any? Realistically?

6 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I don't think that's the case completely. I think Canucks fans have grown used to seeing the former GM overpay for middling talent, including adding draft picks unnecessarily to trades. Certainly Myers and Hamonic are somewhat overpaid, but I think the length of their contracts may be what's harder to swallow, making them harder to move, although for a team in a playoff spot looking to round out their roster, these players could prove to be valuable. I think that the Canucks will eventually make a significant trade to address the defense. Waiting for a few years for the defense to be improved through drafting isn't going to work here. I don't think it'll be a rash move. mind you. I just think there are a lot of players on this team that want to contend, and have that capability, but have been mired in a somewhat caustic atmosphere. With Boudreau running the bench, and Shaw running the defense, the team will fare better.

First to get Hamonic out of the way - nobody is going to want him with how unreliable he's been off the ice. Warranted or not based on his personal stuff (who knows what it is), teams don't care, that's too much risk.

As for Myers, nobody wants a #5 D-man at 6M. I'm really not even going to entertain the tired argument of him being a legit top-4 guy, because only a select few people on CDC and a select few GM's most of whom are probably not even employed anymore (that includes Benning) actually believe that.

Go look at the Capfriendly home page. Literally more than half the teams have less than 1M in cap space. Nobody is taking the Myers contract without us taking a bad one back.

I agree with you that making a big trade to address our holes is definitely what everyone wants, I just don't see how it's feasible.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Hold on, that's not live post game though. Are you saying that last night we could have logged in to Canucks.com and caught everything live as it happened like the good old days? And tomorrow after the Boston game we can shoot right there to see everything live as it happens without all the clips?

Asking cause I haven't seen live post game for a while now, but I've been a bit out of the loop for a few years.

Honestly think with a seasoned coach, respectable coach on our bench we will have calls going our way for once...... 

Ex petterson got a so called breakaway.. with Green probably no penalty let alone a penalty shot!!!!! That could make or break a win or a lose... if he scored more cushion but luckily demko the all star goalie stood on his head...

Bruce B. Never won a stanley cup before was because he never had a all star goalie.... 

He praised us

Says name 5 team who has a top 3 center in 

Horvat 

Miller

Petterson 

Sutter.....

And a all star goalie.... 

Defense is better what he had during his season with Washington.  I think this dude is the right move by Stan the man and his associates...

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Viper007 said:

How's the situation change the next trade deadline day?  It doesn't.  You are working with the same type of assets.  Guys who are going to become UFAs.  If you say yes to that trade the other teams will just wait you out too cause they'll know you'll accept that trade in the end because you did it in the past.  How do you not understand this?  Oh the next time you'll say no?  But then you get people like you who will complain again that they should've still taken the 5th rounder again because hey ... it's better than nothing.

I still really don't know how you fail to understand the basic common sense in all of this, but sure I'll explain it one last time. 

The same "type" of assets don't mean they are the same player. Just fyi.

Age, skill and positional needs also play a factor. Are you that clueless?

For example, if in an alternate universe Benning was still the GM... Let's say Bo's contract year comes up and for some reason the management decides to move on from him at the deadline (because maybe the team is still losing and management finally decides to rebuild again). He will be 28 when his contract is up, a top-6 center and still in his prime. A UFA. How is that the same as a mid-thirties Hamhuis past his prime?

It's common sense that an asset like Bo would be worth more than a Hamhuis. If, by your logic, someone offers you a 5th rounder for Bo purely based on the fact that Hamhuis was offered a 5th rounder, then you obviously decline that. It's not that hard. 

You are framing this as if it is a single formula. You deal with every situation as a different situation.

That's like saying if you go to a car dealership because your friend bought a used 2010 model car for 5K, you also decide to go to the same dealership and ask for the newest 2021/2022 model of a car for the exact same price of 5K based on what your friend paid for a completely different car. Makes no sense whatsoever.

Also, Yes. Duh. You say no. What, so you're saying you can't say no? Do you not have the functionality to decline?

If you don't like the deal and would rather keep a player based on the situation you see for yourself in the future, then by all means you say no. Nobody is holding a gun to your deal to make the deal if you don't think it's a smart idea.

You're literally treating this like a do or die situation and one move seals your entire fate for the future.

Good lord, how dramatic. 

4 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

I still really don't know how you fail to understand the basic common sense in all of this, but sure I'll explain it one last time. 

The same "type" of assets don't mean they are the same player. Just fyi.

Age, skill and positional needs also play a factor. Are you that clueless?

For example, if in an alternate universe Benning was still the GM... Let's say Bo's contract year comes up and for some reason the management decides to move on from him at the deadline (because maybe the team is still losing and management finally decides to rebuild again). He will be 28 when his contract is up, a top-6 center and still in his prime. A UFA. How is that the same as a mid-thirties Hamhuis past his prime?

It's common sense that an asset like Bo would be worth more than a Hamhuis. If, by your logic, someone offers you a 5th rounder for Bo purely based on the fact that Hamhuis was offered a 5th rounder, then you obviously decline that. It's not that hard. 

You are framing this as if it is a single formula. You deal with every situation as a different situation.

That's like saying if you go to a car dealership because your friend bought a used 2010 model car for 5K, you also decide to go to the same dealership and ask for the newest 2021/2022 model of a car for the exact same price of 5K based on what your friend paid for a completely different car. Makes no sense whatsoever.

Also, Yes. Duh. You say no. What, so you're saying you can't say no? Do you not have the functionality to decline?

If you don't like the deal and would rather keep a player based on the situation you see for yourself in the future, then by all means you say no. Nobody is holding a gun to your deal to make the deal if you don't think it's a smart idea.

You're literally treating this like a do or die situation and one move seals your entire fate for the future.

Good lord, how dramatic. 

You don't make the trade so that if the same situation comes up (same age/player/position) you don't get shafted is what I'm saying.  Hamhuis was worth way more than what they offered.  What JB should've done was trade his rights before free agency to recoup something.  Of course every trade will be different depending on the player/age/position/skill level.  Sometimes it's best to not make a deal, just for the sake of making a deal.  JB was limited in who he can trade with both those players.  They didn't give him options. 

Let's go by your example though.  Bo Horvat.  Centreman, in his prime.  But say only 1 team wanted his services (I know it's doubtful).  Because you traded away previously a player who you could've gotten more for, the other team will be inclined in just waiting you out till the last minute for you to cave in to their low ball demands.  Sometimes it's best just to hold your ground in what you believe is fair value instead of trading just to get an "asset".  Just to prove to other GMs that you will not be taken advantage of.

• Vintage 1

46 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

You don't make the trade so that if the same situation comes up (same age/player/position) you don't get shafted is what I'm saying.  Hamhuis was worth way more than what they offered.  What JB should've done was trade his rights before free agency to recoup something.  Of course every trade will be different depending on the player/age/position/skill level.  Sometimes it's best to not make a deal, just for the sake of making a deal.  JB was limited in who he can trade with both those players.  They didn't give him options. 

Let's go by your example though.  Bo Horvat.  Centreman, in his prime.  But say only 1 team wanted his services (I know it's doubtful).  Because you traded away previously a player who you could've gotten more for, the other team will be inclined in just waiting you out till the last minute for you to cave in to their low ball demands.  Sometimes it's best just to hold your ground in what you believe is fair value instead of trading just to get an "asset".  Just to prove to other GMs that you will not be taken advantage of.

Obviously we both have differing opinions on this. 

I do agree that sometimes the best deal you make is not making the deal like you mention. That's why I said it was purely situational.

Also just to point it out, I'm not one of those fans that went in on Benning at the time just because he made those non-trades. I was just thinking it could've been nice at times given the situation.

If you believe Hamhuis was worth way more than what was offered and felt like letting him go for nothing was worth not getting any sort of asset.... then we'll agree to disagree. 

IMHO, I believe that if you are in a losing situation (literally bottom three in the league in 2015-2016), you're not going to make the playoffs and you have an aging player that's past his prime...and a playoff contender inquires about this player that will walk in FA anyways, but offers you at least something for him, you take it. 

Purely my guess, but I think that Jim was sort of clueless/uncertain with what to do during that period (referring to the trade deadline with Hamhuis). Does he trade him? Does he not trade him? The year prior they made the playoffs so maybe ownership didn't want this sudden rebuild? If he had the clear plan of a rebuild, I think he would've made the deal at the deadline during the time. 

I'm not really buying this idea that Benning was exactly this shrewd and wary GM that would even think ahead about himself "saving face" in not doing those deals like the Hamhuis one. This is the same guy that made trades like McCann AND a 2nd for Erik Gudbranson, Kassian AND a 5th for Prust...etc.

He's been known to add unnecessary sweeteners (arguably) to deals which also kind of "exposes" himself to other GM's around the league. He's also known for making spontaneous, short-sighted FA signings like the Loui one, like the Beagle and Roussel ones as well and ends up screwing himself over. His record shows it. So I'm not convinced that he's this self aware GM that would even think about whether he's being taken advantage of or not.

Edited by PetterssonOrPeterson