The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Boston Bruins at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 08, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Don't look now but we've jumped about 4-5 spots in the league since Bruce took over. Jumped over Seattle in our division. There's a 10 point gap still to get into the playoffs but lots of time!

Despite the shot totals I think this was a pretty even game if not we were slightly better, had better chances than Boston and that's saying something.

Big games coming up against Winnipeg and Carolina, unlikely but imagine if we win them both...

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

of course. It is satisfying for those of us who saw how poor the team was playing and wanted a change to see that after only 2 games, this looks like a completely different team.  They are forechecking harder, playing and moving the puck faster, puck support in all areas of the ice, challenging at both blue lines instead of retreating all the time and aggressive in our own end taking away time and space.  Obviously they were capable of playing this way but were being coached not to.  

Don't think anyone will complain as long as the team continues this kind of play.... Fabulous.

• Vintage 1

7 hours ago, 204CanucksFan said:

And the way he does it is just crazy. The puck is off his stick so fast and hard the goalie almost never even moves, his shot is extremely underrated and he is very consistent. There is a reason why that since the 2016-17 season he is 54th among all skaters in goals and 24th among centermen, ahead of guys like Giroux, Hertl, Kopitar, Stone, Toffoli, Marner, Wheeler, Larkin and a whole lot more.

One of the things Bruce said when he came in that i think we can all get behind, you'd be hard pressed to find the a better top 3 C's in the league.   It's a team strength.   Miller is 16th in league scoring - any position (at least before last nights games), since he got here, Horvat 54 for forwards any position.  QHs is ahead of him, 51 all skaters (as an aside).   We all what EPs capable of, his game will come.   Both these guys are in for a pretty large legacy deal, no way Miller will get less then Stone if he keeps it up.   Also nothing would make me happier if we could lock both guys in with team friendly deals.   Either way Miller and Horvat both will have made a solid impression as all-time Canucks.    

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Man that was cathartic. 
Something broke on this squad last year and Bruce seems like the perfect guy to help heal whatever went wrong. He is hockey lifer that still has so much love and energy for the game, he is positive and fun most of the time, he was an offensive player and pushes his team that way. 
The players want to play for him and play hard. Love some of the little adjustments like using Dickinson as a power forward on a more offensive line instead of straight shutdown guy. 
The progression of Podz is incredible and suddenly he is being used as a top forward. 
Great to see these guys looking like they care again. 

• Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Don't look now but we've jumped about 4-5 spots in the league since Bruce took over. Jumped over Seattle in our division. There's a 10 point gap still to get into the playoffs but lots of time!

Despite the shot totals I think this was a pretty even game if not we were slightly better, had better chances than Boston and that's saying something.

Big games coming up against Winnipeg and Carolina, unlikely but imagine if we win them both...

Since the MTL/OTT wins, this team looks to have turned the corner.   The boost Bruce has given the team hopefully stays right until the last game of the postseason.    It's a steep hill, team last season clawed their way back until covid...there is plenty of games left to do it again.  

• Vintage 1

27 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Much is made about our D but look at every team considered a contender, every team has flaws due to the cap. I honestly could care less if analytics say this team has a weak D since we are top 4 in GA 5on5. Our record is 100% because of the pk and our offense struggling.

Look at the last 5 games, the 4 games we won we scored on the pp every game while being over 85% on the kill.

The offense isn't all the way back but it's trending up while the pk looks like it might become a strength instead of a weakness. 

If things stay like this we're going to win a lot more than we lose and if we start scoring like 2019 and still maintain the excellent 5on5 game along with this version of the pk and Demko being a  top 10 goalie we will make the playoffs even after the bad start. 

I read that even with our offense as is I'd our pk was league average we would be 1st in the west. Now obviously it's moot because the pk isn't league average but just shows what could be going forward if we improve that aspect and continue to maintain excellent 5on5 GA.

First in the West seems a stretch, but for sure we'd be hovering around .500 instead of where we are at.    Tried a few times to say this teams possession numbers 5 x 5 are elite.     I don't even think the peak Sedin teams stats 5 x 5 were as good as ours are this season.   So many one goal losses attributed to special teams absolutely.    BB/EP/PK lost Green and JB jobs this season.   Glad we have change though.   It was time. 

• Cheers 1

The injury to hamonic worries me more then a little.  We wont survive long with him and oel out of lineup as the others are serviceable but cant move the puck as well..  would love to have juolevi and laugh if you will, tryampkin.   This team needs size on back end., niether was really given much of a chance but other teams castoffs were over paid to come here.   Not a fan of bennings gm abilities.  Drafts yes.  

45 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Experience has a lot to do with this as well... Boudreau has been around the block a few times, so he knows, how to deal with the press.

Nevertheless its extremely refreshing to see him in interviews and listen to him even more so... He takes all the doom and gloom there may have been hanging over these players away and breathe fresh air into the locker room. The results speak for them selves... 

The big question is to see how long it lasts... at least the games are far more entertaining.

Absolutely.   I could watch the F-bomb tweet/video after he was done and when he got up every day and still laugh.     Just seems genuine and speaks his mind for the most part.    That's refreshing.   Green tolerated the media as part of his job, but that's also how it came across, that he could barely tolerate them.    Bruce reminds me of that happy guy who's always got a stool on a bar somewhere and is in his element.    His element for sure is coaching/hockey and can tell he still loves it.    

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

Another fun to watch game.  We really need an upgrade on the blue blueline though. That much is obvious.  If we could get our hands on a solid #2/3 type RH defenseman I really think it would make a world of difference. 

Love that Boudreau is throwing the star players out on the PK.  Helps them stay engaged all game.

Keep it rolling, it's finally fun to watch the Canucks again!

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, cocanuck said:

The injury to hamonic worries me more then a little.  We wont survive long with him and oel out of lineup as the others are serviceable but cant move the puck as well..  would love to have juolevi and laugh if you will, tryampkin.   This team needs size on back end., niether was really given much of a chance but other teams castoffs were over paid to come here.   Not a fan of bennings gm abilities.  Drafts yes.  

It will be tough for sure.   That said both Hamonic and OEL had nothing to do with the draft .... UFA signing, and trade.    Also wish the team kept Jonah Gads, guys literally fighting to keep a spot which our team for sure could use some of that.    OJ injured again maybe that one just needs to be put to rest.  Just a bad pick at a time we could have really used a McAvoy, Sergechev or Chychrun.    Quin Hughes ... maybe we wouldn't have him at all, likely not if we did draft an impact player so it all worked out kind of in the end.    Smyl and Co have a ton of tradeable assets too, thats thanks to JB and Co's work.    At least we do for the next season and the rest of this one.   

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, spook007 said:

I think the way he received the team after the first win v LA showed how happy he was being back in the game and part of a team...

And yes, he definitely remind me of the bloke, who is everyone one chum, sitting telling great stories over a few pints. The uncle every family loves...

And I think the youngsters more than anyone needs this at this moment in time. A man who can sit them down and relax them... a la 'sit down sun, I've been around the block many times and bla bla bla... 

I'm really pleased with the start and refreshing attitude, but also realistic. They face an uphill battle... but it starts with finding a playing style suited to the players, as well as entertaining the fans... 

You bet.   It is an uphill battle although all it will take is 2/3 or so until the end (something that didn't seem very likely before the MTL game).     The young players also learned some valuable lessons this season.    Make sure you come ready to play.   The best of the best never stop working in the gym and on their craft.    QHs came in with a chip on his shoulder over all the sass he took for his -24 last season.   Look at him now killing freaking penalties!    Simply amazing and myself and others owe him an apology.   Last season and before that even, this idea that he'd be a true number all situation D seemed far away.   Brian Cambell was a little D who could control the play in all three zones with half his offensive abilities.   Super valuable both in CHI and later in Florida.   But it took time.    QHs entering his fourth season like a true future Norris contender, keeps it up, maybe even this season!    Crow and plate and give me a fork.   Also i love that Bruce is willing to listen to his players and try them at any position.    And that from what he's said they will get a chance but if it's not working it won't be a long rope type one.    That should help the team sort itself out into its best version hopefully.     And not expecting playoffs, but do have hope it's possible.   

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Next game is tomorrow and I am already excited and can't wait.

Before Bruce took over I was excited for upcoming games too, but it was a different sort of excitement.

It was like to be excited for upcoming dentist's appointment- you know that you going to suffer but can't avoid it.

GCG!

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, buddhahoodlum said:

Given that so many of the media pundits, including Button, were saying it was the players who sucked and not the coach while 90% of the fans knew it was Green, I hope no one on here ever dares to suggest these people know more than the common fan.

Maybe deep down, most of the media are jealous of the players and hate their miserable jobs. Ergo negativity becomes rampant. We see this when media pundits that have been blaming the players. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Burroughs too and both of them are signed 850k(Schenn) 750k(Burroughs) for the next 2 years(including this one).

Both these guys also are top 2 in hits per 60 on the team.

Not a bad parting gift from JB. I'll give him due credit for these depth guys in particular, a minor win. Doesn't discount his other failures but credit where it's due.

JB seemed to be getting better at some parts of his job. But as one poster said, his mistakes were just colossal and were his downfall. 

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Maybe deep down, most of the media are jealous of the players and hate their miserable jobs. Ergo negativity becomes rampant. We see this when media pundits that have been blaming the players. 

Man i'm not so sure.   From where i'm sitting a media job looks pretty sweet.   So many ex players also gravitate towards media jobs because they love the game so much.   Saying most are jealous ... and that they hate their jobs is a strange view.   I'm sure most of them love their jobs - of course they'd all rather be an NHL player.   Just like you and me.   But jealous of it is a bit of a strange view for me at least.