The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Jim Rutherford as president & interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Smyl is turning 64 in January.  He's almost as old as Rutherford.  I highly doubt he wants to keep grinding it out to try and get a GM gig.  65 is retirement age.  He'll probably just want to ride it out as part of the organization until he decides he's had enough and then spend the rest of his retirement with his family.

Smyl era was the golden age, Canucks were undefeated 

But yeah, presser or not I'm not sold on him wanting to the big chair

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Just based on my impression, that JR is like Gillis - both are good executives for a team, that has a young core that, is ready to compete; and a GM, that has a background in drafting & development cause eventually, it will be time to transition away from this core and the cap is always lurking.

As for Brackett, he was just someone that came to mind, who is young and has a decent drafting record.

A good read on Rutherford, for some context:

https://www.canescountry.com/2017/6/30/15900340/carolina-hurricanes-jim-rutherford-pittsburgh-penguins-nhl

Great info! Thank you. 
Im definitely interested if they go the pro scouting for GM and amateur scouting for AGM. It’s probably the route I would go as I think pro scouting is more important for the GM role. 

1 minute ago, KyGuy123 said:

Great info! Thank you. 
Im definitely interested if they go the pro scouting for GM and amateur scouting for AGM. It’s probably the route I would go as I think pro scouting is more important for the GM role. 

Good point; perhaps a GM that is able to transition & understand the different cycles a team goes through 

1 hour ago, nuck-lifer said:

8 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

This is exactly what I was worried about. 

Hopefully BS. 

Oh I dunno.. this is BuckFoston we are talking about.  He's as legit as it gets.

• Haha 1

An interesting tidbit I just read is that Rutherford averaged a trade/month during his tenor in Pittsburgh. They said he’s got a reputation of trading away anybody that is a locker room issue and not afraid to trade away core players. It should be interesting but hopefully he exercises a little patience since Boudreau is new and gives this team a chance to see what it can do with a new philosophy and system.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Bure_of_94 said:

An interesting tidbit I just read is that Rutherford averaged a trade/month during his tenor in Pittsburgh. They said he’s got a reputation of trading away anybody that is a locker room issue and not afraid to trade away core players. It should be interesting but hopefully he exercises a little patience since Boudreau is new and gives this team a chance to see what it can do with a new philosophy and system.

I hope JR is a better POHO than he was a goalie. Having Sid and Malkin Pitt had to win Cups. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

I hope JR is a better POHO than he was a goalie. Having Sid and Malkin Pitt had to win Cups. 

Funny how it took Sid and Malkin 9 years before winning a Cup... (2 years after JR arrived on the scene).

3 hours ago, AV. said:

Rutherford apprehensions are fine, but he's far, far clear of Benning.  Like, night and day better.  That's how bad Benning was lol.

Uhhh, no, he isn’t.  Lots knocked Benning for bad trades and bad contracts, well check these doozies out:

-Jack Johnson 5 year, $16.25m; 

-Brandon Tanev 6 years, $18m;

-Marcus Pettersson 5 years, $20m;

-Jusso Riikola 2 years, $1.15m

-Traded Hornqvist for Mike Matheson, who had 6 years, $4.875m per left;

-Traded Pearson for Gudbranson;

-Traded Sundqvist and a 1st for Reaves and a 2nd;

-Traded Gustavsson and a 1st for Brassard.

That’s just a small sampling.  He also had a tendency to trade a ton of draft picks; particularly 1st rounders.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Okay thank you.

So on your third point then how does that apply to JT?

If that's too low it kind of prevents negotiating a deal prior to the contract being up. 

Lends to the idea of trading him especially if by the deadline it looks like we're out of playoff contention.

I really want to keep him. 

I knew you were going to ask that....LOL. So, here is the info and example directly from the CBA. Short answer is that it will essentially depend on how much salary you have coming off the books in the season the contract comes into play. I think we will be able to sign him to an extension unless we decide to go in another direction. I agree with wanting to keep him.

A Club shall only be permitted to sign a Player to an "extension" of the existing SPC in the amount of: (A) the SPC of the Player to be extended (then included in the Club's Averaged Club Salary); plus (B) the Club's Payroll Room in the current year; plus (C) the aggregate Averaged Amounts of any other SPC or SPCs that expire at the end of such League Year (to extent the Club has other such SPCs which are currently counting in the Club's Averaged Club Salary); minus any previously Tagged Payroll Room. The Tagging Rule referred to in paragraph (e)(iv)(C) above will thereafter apply.

Illustration #1: A Club, during the 2012-13 League Year, has $1.5 million of Payroll Room, and it has $4 million in Averaged Amount of SPCs scheduled to expire at the end of the 2012-13 League Year, including the $1 million Averaged Amount of Player B's SPC. The Club shall be deemed to have $5.5 million of Tagged Payroll Room and may "extend" Player B's SPC during the 2012-13 League Year with Player Salary and Bonuses of up to an Averaged Amount of $5.5 million.