The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Jim Rutherford as president & interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

I actually agree with you on that, it's been argued that he has an franchise tie and has done things within it long enough...

Like Smyl said himself, he will do any role asked of him. Clearly that wasn’t going to be Pres or GM. It doesn’t diminish his front office standing at all. Rutherford is far more qualified. Being a former Canuck should make no difference. He isn’t owed either job.

Edited by wallstreetamigo

24 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Nope, but they could've easily refrained from making it seem like they weren't going to rush into anything and instead saying they had a short list. It sure seemed to me like Smyl was going to be Interim GM for at least a while and be working with The Group to do this right, but then poof! JR takes over. 

but Stan will go down in the history books as the only undefeated GM 

However on my bday on the 12th we take on a real team and see how we perform I think will how we will be judged on needs, but it's not rocket science we need help on D and the forwards upgraded as in the plugs, like hunt chaisson then if it's actually with big fast mobile PMD's we might get somewhere but I have my doubts..  I just hope Klim isn't traded.. 

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Like Smyl said himself, he will do any role asked of him. Clearly that wasn’t going to be Pres or GM. It doesn’t diminish his front office standing at all. Rutherford is far more qualified. Being a former Canuck should make no difference. He isn’t owed either job.

Maybe Stan can give boxing lessons to Petey, Hughes,Boeser etc.. Stan could scrap! I'll give him that! 

6 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Some are just looking for any reason to whine about Benning getting fired. 

The fact that things like the following are being used to crap on Rutherford getting hired tell me it’s a good signing:

”But what about Stan?”

”Why take a guy who won 2 cups in pits?He didn’t do anything but ride Crosby’s coattails!”

”Man he is old!”

”He might make a trade” 

etc

I don’t see how asking about how Smyl is doing is tantamount to questioning Rutherford’s capabilities. Jim is a great hire. 

• Huggy Bear 1

12 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I'm not sure but it seems to me Aqua hires those vested in the franchise over the years but if we remain a soft seasonal team with a lot of skill but falls flat in the first round but fills the house all season I doubt he cares all that much.. 

4 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Some are just looking for any reason to whine about Benning getting fired. 

The fact that things like the following are being used to crap on Rutherford getting hired tell me it’s a good signing:

”But what about Stan?”

”Why take a guy who won 2 cups in pits?He didn’t do anything but ride Crosby’s coattails!”

”Man he is old!”

”He might make a trade” 

etc

You do the same as everyone else, only on the opposite spectrum, never giving Benning credit for any good he has ever done.

Also, is Jim Rutherford now beyond criticism?  Those arguments are valid.  He IS old, he WAS riding to a certain degree Crosby's and Malkin's coattails as they had already won a Cup without him.  Aquilini did tell the world that Smyl was the interim GM and that he was going to be a part of the search for a new GM.  20 minutes later Smyl is no longer the interim GM.  Rutherford's trade record the past 3 years was pretty bad.  I mean Gudbranson, really?  Benning should have been fired for trading for Gudbranson but of course Rutherford gets a free pass.  David Perron and his total of 38 points in 2 years for a 1st round pick?  Jason Zucker and his total of 40 points in 3 years also for a 1st round pick?  

Rutherford has won 3 Cups.  But he is not beyond criticism.  It's not a slam dunk that he has success in Vancouver.  The past does not equal the future.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

Just now, iceman64 said:

I'm not sure but it seems to me Aqua hires those vested in the franchise over the years but if we remain a soft seasonal team with a lot of skill but falls flat in the first round but fills the house all season I doubt he cares all that much.. 

Maybe. But Rutherford understands what’s needed to win in the playoffs. And he is in control. No way he accepts the job without the assurance Aquilini will butt out and let him do it his way. 

18 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Can't recall exactly but perhaps they were referring to the GM and already had JR as their target. Or Like the other pointed out, perhaps it was merely to cover their asses in case JR fell through. Either way, its standard operating procedure for large orgs, and IMO, not the molehill I'm willing to die on.

I'm definitely not standing on the edge of my building or anything, but I definitely have reservations about this move after hearing and watching so many pundits and fans from Pitts and Carolina not being happy with him. Granted, he won some cups, this can never be taken away from him, but it can't overshadow just how many questionable moves he makes. It's Benning 2.0, and there's a chance the fan base will turn on him and his GM in a hurry, at which point our organization will look like a mess again. I guess what I'm saying is that I was really hoping for a steadier and methodical approach to taking us to the next step, not more gunslinging. I wonder how long it'll take before FA stops a trade?

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You do the same as everyone else, only on the opposite spectrum, never giving Benning credit for any good he has ever done.

Also, is Jim Rutherford now beyond criticism?  Those arguments are valid.  He IS old, he WAS riding to a certain degree Crosby's and Malkin's coattails as they had already won a Cup without him.  Aquilini did tell the world that Smyl was the interim GM and that he was going to be a part of the search for a new GM.  20 minutes later Smyl is no longer the interim GM.  Rutherford's trade record the past 3 years was pretty bad.  I mean Gudbranson, really?  Benning should have been fired for trading for Gudbranson but of course Rutherford gets a free pass.  David Perron and his total of 38 points in 2 years for a 1st round pick?  Jason Zucker and his total of 40 points in 3 years also for a 1st round pick?  

Rutherford has won 3 Cups.  But he is not beyond criticism.  It's not a slam dunk that he has success in Vancouver.  The past does not equal the future.

Holy moly thank you. I've been feeling alone in this "discussion".  I haven't been able to figure out why no one wants to discuss the "other" side of JR, as it already seems like he can do no wrong, or never has done any wrong. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

First, I have given Benning plenty of credit for his good moves. They were pretty rare though in the grand scheme.

If the past does not equal the future - which I agree with - why are people freaking out about a guy who has been here less than a day and not done a single thing yet to piss them off?

3 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I'm definitely not standing on the edge of my building or anything, but I definitely have reservations about this move after hearing and watching so many pundits and fans from Pitts and Carolina not being happy with him. Granted, he won some cups, this can never be taken away from him, but it can't overshadow just how many questionable moves he makes. It's Benning 2.0, and there's a chance the fan base will turn on him and his GM in a hurry, at which point our organization will look like a mess again. I guess what I'm saying is that I was really hoping for a steadier and methodical approach to taking us to the next step, not more gunslinging. I wonder how long it'll take before FA stops a trade?

So how do you know that’s the approach he will take?

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I don’t see how asking about how Smyl is doing is tantamount to questioning Rutherford’s capabilities. Jim is a great hire. 

I don’t see how asking about how Smyl feels matters at all. It’s not like he is the most qualified person for either job that was owed a big seat. He is a company guy. I am sure he is fine and was involved in the Rutherford decision. It doesn’t diminish his front office standing at all.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

First, I have given Benning plenty of credit for his good moves. They were pretty rare though in the grand scheme.

If the past does not equal the future - which I agree with - why are people freaking out about a guy who has been here less than a day and not done a single thing yet to piss them off?

JR is more aggressive than Benning ever has.

4 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

So how do you know that’s the approach he will take?

I don't, and I'm in a wait-and-see approach, but there are valid concerns worth mentioning and discussing. It is a forum, after all, but it sure does seem like another CDC situation where criticism/concerns are off limits for discussion and instead a select mob bashes any ostensible dissenting opinions.

• Upvote 1