[Report] Canucks name Jim Rutherford as president & interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I like the hire.

Some don’t, haha.

This from a Pens beat writer:

A familiar face is going to run the Canucks

December 10, 2021, 11:03 AM ET 
Penguins former General Manger Jim Rutherford has been hired by the Vancouver Canucks to be their team President and “interim” general manager. The Canucks need a new direction and they will 100% get one. They will probably get ten different directions in the next few years. Per Josh Yohe of The Athletic Jim Rutherford averaged over one trade per month as Penguins GM.

First, we’ll see how the “interim” tag plays out. Rutherford is someone who loves control. During his tenure the Penguins assistant general manager depth dwindled as the years went on with no replacements. This continued up until the time he quit on the team because he was losing full control over the entire operation. He left the team scrambling for a replacement because he never intended to mentor one who would take over for him. So forgive me for being skeptical on that “interim” tag. He was only supposed to be in Pittsburgh for the short term after all…

As for the roster the Canucks are not in a great spot. They do have some talent in Elias Pettersson, Quinn Hughes, JT Miller, Brock Boeser, and others. However, they don’t have any cap space.. They do have the 7th ranked prospect pool per The Athletic, but for how long. Jim Rutherford’s “secret” formula is to burn through futures while tinkering, not necessarily, improving the current roster. I would be floored if Rutherford committed to a rebuild actually using the prospects and futures in-house instead of trading them away.  

Brandon Sutter and Kasperi Kapanen probably shouldn’t get too comfortable where they are. If it is true that certain things come in threes then Brandon Sutter is about to be looking for new property and Kasperi Kapanen will be heading to the Pacific Northwest. 

I do think Rutherford is an upgrade on Jim Benning because he was comically horrible at his job. At least Rutherford mixes in a good move or two even if they are undone with the next move or two he makes. I also think the hiring of Bruce Boudreau is the best you can do at the head coaching position. Tracking what happens with the Canucks should have some entertainment value and for Penguins fans it will come with a lot less stress.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I understand the angst about Rutherford. I really do. At the same time, it’s interesting to me that the same people who thought infinite patience and allowing him to learn from his mistakes was what should have happened with Benning are the same ones wringing their hands in dread before Rutherfords plane even gets to Vancouver.

Are you buddies with JohnTaveres and Knuckle25 on here ? Where are they ?

1 minute ago, khay said:

I just realized that Sutter was traded twice in his career, and both times it was Rutherford.

Perhaps Rutherford took this job to get the satisfaction of trading Brandon for the third time. 

you joke, but being on LTIR might actually make him valuable in a trade. Now that would be something. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Canucks granted Willie D. an exit press conference in the building. I still remember the darkness of the background (no Canucks logo visible) in the room and some of the questions from postmedia. I guess neither Travis nor Jim were interested in facing the media after their dismissal. Nevertheless it will be quite interesting to see if either of them will issue statements - at least on social media - .

I hope that both are above going to social media to say anything - just like Linden.    That's to me lowbrow. 

10 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I like the hire.

Some don’t, haha.

This from a Pens beat writer:

A familiar face is going to run the Canucks

December 10, 2021, 11:03 AM ET 
Penguins former General Manger Jim Rutherford has been hired by the Vancouver Canucks to be their team President and “interim” general manager. The Canucks need a new direction and they will 100% get one. They will probably get ten different directions in the next few years. Per Josh Yohe of The Athletic Jim Rutherford averaged over one trade per month as Penguins GM.

First, we’ll see how the “interim” tag plays out. Rutherford is someone who loves control. During his tenure the Penguins assistant general manager depth dwindled as the years went on with no replacements. This continued up until the time he quit on the team because he was losing full control over the entire operation. He left the team scrambling for a replacement because he never intended to mentor one who would take over for him. So forgive me for being skeptical on that “interim” tag. He was only supposed to be in Pittsburgh for the short term after all…

As for the roster the Canucks are not in a great spot. They do have some talent in Elias Pettersson, Quinn Hughes, JT Miller, Brock Boeser, and others. However, they don’t have any cap space.. They do have the 7th ranked prospect pool per The Athletic, but for how long. Jim Rutherford’s “secret” formula is to burn through futures while tinkering, not necessarily, improving the current roster. I would be floored if Rutherford committed to a rebuild actually using the prospects and futures in-house instead of trading them away.  

Brandon Sutter and Kasperi Kapanen probably shouldn’t get too comfortable where they are. If it is true that certain things come in threes then Brandon Sutter is about to be looking for new property and Kasperi Kapanen will be heading to the Pacific Northwest. 

I do think Rutherford is an upgrade on Jim Benning because he was comically horrible at his job. At least Rutherford mixes in a good move or two even if they are undone with the next move or two he makes. I also think the hiring of Bruce Boudreau is the best you can do at the head coaching position. Tracking what happens with the Canucks should have some entertainment value and for Penguins fans it will come with a lot less stress.

Thanks for sharing. I think the concerns are well documented. We either go down swinging or we get a cup.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

bingo. We haven't had this since Quinn. Burkie maybe, but he's also gained a lot of his respect since he left us. 

Burke at least had instant respect being Quins right hand man for a decade or so already.    But yes we haven't had any sort of top level swagger in that department for a long time.    Don't understand why anyone who's butthurt over what he did in PIT, they did manage two cups with him at the helm, and he was executive of the year one of those years too.    The Athletic sure seems to have a button on him though.   Got to wonder why.  Youngish writers that grew up idolizing Crosby i suppose - i've seen that with my kids generation.   He's also already in the HHOF lol.   Like complaining about Glen Sather or something.   

Edited by IBatch

I understand the angst about Rutherford. I really do. At the same time, it’s interesting to me that the same people who thought infinite patience and allowing him to learn from his mistakes was what should have happened with Benning are the same ones wringing their hands in dread before Rutherfords plane even gets to Vancouver.

For sure, especially since Benning's "aggressive" summer of 2021 was straight out of the Rutherford playbook.  Imho, aggressive is fine as long as you know what you're doing and the hits outweigh the misses.  The Miller, OEL and Garland deals were both great.  Winning a trade is a way better route to collecting talent than free agency but it's a lot harder to pull off.

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Burke at least had instant respect being Quins right hand man for a decade or so already.    But yes we haven't had any sort of top level swagger in that department for a long time.    Don't understand why anyone who's butthurt over what he did in PIT, they did manage two cups with him at the helm, and he was executive of the year one of those years too.    The Athletic sure seems to have a button on him though.   Got to wonder why.  Youngish writers that grew up idolizing Crosby i suppose - i've seen that with my kids generation.   He's also already in the HHOF lol.   Like complaining about Glen Sather or something.   

I don't wonder why, negativity sells. They are harping on an instant noodle narrative vs. doing any real work. 

• Vintage 1

I see people complain all the time about the Canucks not being respected by the league, getting a raw deal, etc. Jim Rutherford is universally respected around the league. Whatever else he does, he will instantly significantly increase the Canucks standing and respect factor around the league. 

Gotta love optimism. Fat chance of that happening though.

• Wat 1