The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Jim Rutherford as president & interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

by trading what????

Theres only one piece that I think makes sense, and it's Rathbone. Hughes makes him kind of redundant, and he would carry a pretty high value. 

I cant see us trading any of our current roster players while BB is trying to put together some team chemistry. 

9 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Theres only one piece that I think makes sense, and it's Rathbone. Hughes makes him kind of redundant, and he would carry a pretty high value. 

I cant see us trading any of our current roster players while BB is trying to put together some team chemistry. 

I don't think Rutherford will see the defense as a problem.

13 hours ago, 13231 said:

All the trade discussion here sounds baseless and premature right now. What the quotes from the organization and common sense suggests is that the team will be evaluated carefully now, as to where it clearly stands under the new coaching staff. Everything will be determined from that point forward. Up until the Olympic break would be the timeline I assume. 

well when Carolina comes to town on Sunday, that will be telling.

• -SN- unfeatured and unpinned this topic
5 hours ago, Canuck Luck said:

What a weird opinion to have.

Pretty much all the experts and best hockey people are white men. They will continue to be for the next little while but then the group will begin to diversify. 

As for now, hire the best candidate that is most likely to get the Canucks a Stanley Cup. This isn't some child's game here. This is a business with billions of dollars on the line. You don't go hire some subpar candidate just to try to stand out like you are some kind of "woke" person.

:wacko:

That’s the problem right there. 

I don’t what’s wrong or ‘woke’ about commenting about the lack of diversity at the Executive level in the NHL. 

The NBA and NFL don’t have this issue, and diverse personnel there have been accomplished in their respective sport. The NHL is the last of the major sports organization to address this. 

That’s not being ‘woke’, that’s being awake. 

• Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, JM_ said:

but you were just complaining about media representation

who cares if he's an 'old white guy'? I think you're trying too hard to be woke.

I was commenting on the lack of diversity. Media relations don’t run teams. 

I don’t need to try very hard to see the lack of diversity at the NHL top levels with respect to teams or the League itself. If I’m awake to it then I have the critical thought to think about it. If you don’t see an issue then that blindness says more about you that me commenting about something that is glaringly apparent. 

27 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

That’s the problem right there. 

Not sure it's a 'problem', just a fact. Until very recently, hockey has been a predominately 'white', male sport for a vast and varied number of reasons.

That has been thankfully changing and it diversifies more and more ever year.

Yay.

But it's going to take time for that diversity to age out of playing years to management years etc to see that reflected in high level coaching, management etc. Those people need to get experience at lower levels first. We're seeing it start in to media recently, there's a woman in Kraken management etc. Hopefully that trend continues and we see progressively more diversity as time goes by and interested, qualified people become available and qualified for the highest positions in that field. 

It just seems an odd critique of the hire given there's not some huge faction of underserved minorities that are even qualified for the POHO position at this time though. Like who do you suggest?

Edited by aGENT

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Not sure it's a 'problem', just a fact. Until very recently, hockey has been a predominately 'white', male sport for a vast and varied number of reasons.

That has been thankfully changing and it diversifies more and more ever year.

Yay.

But it's going to take time for that diversity to age out of playing years to management years etc to see that reflected in high level coaching, management etc. Those people need to get experience at lower levels first. We're seeing it start in to media recently, there's a woman in Kraken management etc. Hopefully that trend continues and we see progressively more diversity as time goes by and interested, qualified people become available and qualified for the highest positions in that field. 

It just seems an odd critique of the hire given there's not some huge faction of underserved minorities that are even qualified for the POHO position at this time though. Like who do you suggest?

I’m supportive to see that diversity grow as well of course. 

I think you agree that hockey has been predominantly based on the same recycled old white boys club, generally speaking. That’s not a critique of Rutherford….again. 

My critique is that there’s a lack of diversity generally in the NHL and NHL teams. 

I don’t see what the issue is with pointing out that fact. 

Seems like a lot of posters are taking it personally for some odd reason. Maybe not. Just coming across that way to me. Maybe just like I’m coming off as “trying too hard to be ‘woke’”, whatever that means. 

It’s similar in Formula 1. White men ruj the sport, always have, and that’s because minorities, of all categories, aren’t afforded the opportunity or have the resources to break into that sport. Hat tip to the North American society at least, for adding in a diverse population to all sports, which hopefully translates to more diverse representation in hockey. All other major sports seem to have overcome that oversight/issue. I’m glad and hope more women also attain the highest levels of hockey. We’ll see. 

• Wat 1

40 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I’m supportive to see that diversity grow as well of course. 

I think you agree that hockey has been predominantly based on the same recycled old white boys club, generally speaking. That’s not a critique of Rutherford….again. 

My critique is that there’s a lack of diversity generally in the NHL and NHL teams. 

I don’t see what the issue is with pointing out that fact. 

Seems like a lot of posters are taking it personally for some odd reason. Maybe not. Just coming across that way to me. Maybe just like I’m coming off as “trying too hard to be ‘woke’”, whatever that means. 

It’s similar in Formula 1. White men ruj the sport, always have, and that’s because minorities, of all categories, aren’t afforded the opportunity or have the resources to break into that sport. Hat tip to the North American society at least, for adding in a diverse population to all sports, which hopefully translates to more diverse representation in hockey. All other major sports seem to have overcome that oversight/issue. I’m glad and hope more women also attain the highest levels of hockey. We’ll see. 

I think, like you pointed out with formula one, it's largely a socio economic problem, not necessarily a 'particular sport' problem.

The simple fact is that hockey (or car racing) have a higher cost of entry than more diverse sports like say basketball or soccer. 

Continue working on the socio economic  problems, and you solve the diversity problem IMO. And again, you then need to wait for those more diverse people to work there way up to the highest level to positions like POHO of an NHL franchise.

So not really a 'hockey' problem, and definitely not a Rutherford problem...I think that's why you're getting push back. 

Edited by aGENT

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I think, like you pointed out with formula one, it's largely a socio economic problem, not necessarily a 'particular sport' problem.

The simple fact is that hockey (or car racing) have a higher cost of entry than more diverse sports like say basketball or soccer. 

Continue working on the socio economic  problems, and you solve the diversity problem IMO. And again, you then need to wait for those more diverse people to work there way up to the highest level to positions like POHO of an NHL franchise.

So not really a 'hockey' problem, and definitely not a Rutherford problem...I think that's why you're getting push back. 

Never said Rutherford was a problem.  If you read my prior posts, I have consistently iterated that I have nothing against Rutherford. 

I disagree that it isn’t a ‘hockey’ problem. NBA teams and the league are worth more than NHL counterparts, yet, there’s no issue with diverse players/owners/Executives. 

The Socio-Economics are worse in the US than Canada, yet the US is consistently better at representing more diversity in all their major sports, including hockey than Canada is. 

As far as Formula 1 goes, Lewis Hamilton, who is arguably the greatest of all time, best all the rich white kids with used parts and essentially reclamation of thrown away or used parts in karting. It was his and his dads’ determination and commitment that has made him a 7 time world champion.

Open the sport/all sports up to diverse people/backgrounds and the cream rises to the top, as opposed to curdled creamy people always having to be swallowed by audiences and fans of ‘sport’.