The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Jim Rutherford as president & interim GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

37 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I would be fully on board with Alvin as GM and Burke as AGM. One knows more about the amateur scouting side (Alvin) where the other specializes more on the pro scouting side (Burke).

I'd much prefer to bring in Futa and then find another candidate for pro scouting who isn't a wife beater.

Just now, King Heffy said:

I'd much prefer to bring in Futa and then find another candidate for pro scouting who isn't a wife beater.

I'd like to see this as the next new hires:

GM - Futa 

AGMs. - Mellanby, Botterill (Jen not the idiot bro). 

I won't be surprised tho if its Allvin, or disappointed. Its actually been a long process and if he's the guy he's the guy. I don't believe JR would waste everyone's time if it was a pre-set deal. 

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

I'd like to see this as the next new hires:

GM - Futa 

AGMs. - Mellanby, Botterill (Jen not the idiot bro). 

I won't be surprised tho if its Allvin, or disappointed. Its actually been a long process and if he's the guy he's the guy. I don't believe JR would waste everyone's time if it was a pre-set deal. 

That works well for me.

42 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Is Burke a wife beater? Had no idea. :blink:

Yeah, here’s an article from back in 1997:

https://apnews.com/article/28d32fc5586566aaf258994a840e410c

(Probably should give a trigger warning here, for any abuse survivors.)

Reading that article reminds me how far we’ve come as a society (although there’s still a long way to go, of course). And just how ****** up attitudes around domestic abuse were, 25 years ago.

The quotes from Paul Maurice and Jim Rutherford are really disappointing, though not really surprising, for the time.

Also disappointing, though not really surprising, Burke actually denied hitting his wife, saying they’d “only argued,” and he managed to plead the case down to probation and a $200 fine, plus mandated domestic abuse education. This despite clear bruises to his wife’s face and neck (per the police report) and Burke reportedly having pulled chunks of her hair out. :( 

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1998-jan-21-sp-10549-story.html?_amp=true

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Typos
  • Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Has two young children at home in Toronto.  Understandable she may prefer to continue what she's doing which allows her to spend more time with them.

well, thats fine too. At least we pulled out the chair. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

https://canucksarmy.com/2022/01/24/president-jim-rutherford-interview-process-canucks-gm-job-done/

Interview process is over. Hopefully means a decision is incoming soon.

Sean Burke, Scott Mellanby, Patrick Allvin, are 3 of the 5 people for in person interviews after JT started with 40 names.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they hire 2 out of the 5.

One as GM, one as assistant GM. From that list of names I don’t think any of them would be in a position to turn down an AGM role.

Just now, DeNiro said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if they hire 2 out of the 5.

One as GM, one as assistant GM. From that list of names I don’t think any of them would be in a position to turn down an AGM role.

Yeah, that makes perfect sense. I'm not crazy about Burke but the other two seem fine. Mellanby has always been a good dude in my books and I think he's level headed. No clue how that translates to a GM though lol. I like having a tough NHLer's opinion in the mix though. I think Allvin might get it and I have no problem with that. With Burke I can accept he has dealt with his past it's more the crazy goalie weird personality lone-wolf kind of vibe I get from him that throws me off a bit.

4 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah, that makes perfect sense. I'm not crazy about Burke but the other two seem fine. Mellanby has always been a good dude in my books and I think he's level headed. No clue how that translates to a GM though lol. I like having a tough NHLer's opinion in the mix though. I think Allvin might get it and I have no problem with that. With Burke I can accept he has dealt with his past it's more the crazy goalie weird personality lone-wolf kind of vibe I get from him that throws me off a bit.

how are you not thrown off by the fact he beat his wife 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Tom Sestito said:

I'm willing to give people a second chance I guess. I mean if JR is willing to interview him I'm deferring to his judgement since I really don't know anything about the incident except the little bit I've read. Does this mean the Canucks should be shunned? I guess it doesn't exactly sit well with me either though. I should have known someone would take offence to my wording I was really just thinking about the hockey part. My apologies.

20 minutes ago, Tom Sestito said:

That's a hard no for me as well.  As in I'll be looking for a different team to support if he's hired.  We should not be the team giving a wife beater a second chance.

Edited by King Heffy

8 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

That's a hard no for me as well.  As in I'll be looking for a different team to support if he's hired.  We should not be the team giving a wife beater a second chance.

Pretty much undoes anything they’re trying to do with hiring the first female assistant GM.

Might as well sign Kane while we’re at it.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Pretty much undoes anything they’re trying to do with hiring the first female assistant GM.

Might as well sign Kane while we’re at it.

Surprised and honestly disappointed he even got an interview less than a year after Virtanen's conduct became public knowledge.

• Cheers 1