The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Coyotes gauging market on Jakob Chychrun

14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So LA is trading Brandt Clarke.  I thought he was untouchable.  Sometimes GM's get desperate in pursuit of the Stanley Cup.

Makes sense for LA as Chychrun speeds up their rebuild and is still only 24.  LA also have lots of other RHD.  

I'm thinking it's Brandt Clarke, 2023 1st round pick and a roster player, maybe Cal Petersen as a cap dump.  If it's Petersen I can see another pick included...

Kings likely tried to push Byfield, the bustaroo bonsai, and the Coyotes insisted on Clarke. 

26 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So LA is trading Brandt Clarke.  I thought he was untouchable.  Sometimes GM's get desperate in pursuit of the Stanley Cup.

Makes sense for LA as Chychrun speeds up their rebuild and is still only 24.  LA also have lots of other RHD.  

I'm thinking it's Brandt Clarke, 2023 1st round pick and a roster player, maybe Cal Petersen as a cap dump.  If it's Petersen I can see another pick included...

If LA does indeed move Clarke for Chychrun it won't be for a shortsighted cup run, it'll be to continue what they've already been doing. Which is bringing their prospects and homegrown players along while insulating them with prime aged talent via trade or UFA, like Fiala Danault, and Arvidsson. 

It's also different than what's been proposed around here because it brings in a D who could step in and be their #1LD, or potentially their #1 going forward period. Which is a role Clarke would live up to in a best case scenario, a Chychrun trade accomplishes the same sort of thing albeit on the other side. Which may or may not work better for them as LA isn't strong down the left side.

The Canucks never had an equivalent D piece to send back, outside of Hughes we don't have much in the way of high end D in the organization period. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

That's a smart trade.  Clarke really hasn't shown any sign that he has much chance of ever figuring it out in his own zone.  He's extremely likely to bust, while Chychrun has a great contract and fits in well with their current group.

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

Just now, J-Dizzle said:

Really a bizarre situation 

Someone made a point that the Super Bowl is in Arizona so it’s very hard to get the few sources there to confirm.

LA is obviously keeping it very quiet too.

Makes me think a deal may almost be done but not there. Maybe they’re still letting other teams make their final bids.

2 hours ago, Timråfan said:

But why an LHD when we need an RHD?

Hughes

Chycrun

OEL on the left side and ….

At this point what imho should matter most is simply improving the overall talent level on D, regardless of side or hand. We need another another two top 2-4 Dman pieces on the backend, and then replace/reconfigure the remaining bodies in the offseason either by trade or signings or what have you. We need to bring in a couple bodies that can push the existing talent further down the depth chart. I don’t want us to be relying on Myers and OEL next season to eat big minutes. I believe that if we are joined at the hip with them for next season, then regardless of cap consumption, play them both less and perhaps they become more effective?

Anyway, this is if the mgmt plan still remains the same to reshape this roster with a quicker turnaround. 

otherwise I’d stick with just acquiring a larger shutdown RHD this offseason that can play big minutes if required. That’s a good start. 
then draft and NCAA sign a few young promising dmen and see if one can make the jump next season. 
Otherwise let them marinate and see what the market provides over time.

Edited by RWJC

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The rumours around this (potential) Chychscrub Trade are great! This is too much fun. I’m still saying the Scrub Bud goes to the LOSER LEAFS. 

Look Alf, it's the Ottawa Senators with the winning package steel chair! 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Someone made a point that the Super Bowl is in Arizona so it’s very hard to get the few sources there to confirm.

LA is obviously keeping it very quiet too.

Makes me think a deal may almost be done but not there. Maybe they’re still letting other teams make their final bids.

To me it feels like something is completed but will be revealed tomorrow because today it will be completely overshadowed. At least tomorrow will provide a little better balance in terms of sports priority/coverage

Edited by RWJC
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, RWJC said:

To me it feels like something is completed but will be revealed tomorrow because today it will be completely overshadowed. At least tomorrow will provide a little better balance in terms of sports priority/coverage

Or it's one of the best fake outs of all time?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Yup. If this was a Canadian team (The LOSER Leafs, for example) it wouldn’t matter this was Super Bowl Sunday and the announcement would be made. But with two US based cities (and southern ones where hockey is right up there in popularity with the Home Shopping Channel and Paint By Numbers) it’s a good idea to wait and get at least one reporter coming t9 the presser. 

• Cheers 1