The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks hire Derek Clancey as assistant GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, JM_ said:

it sounds like JR is a collaborative leader though, so yes the buck stops with him but it sounds like everyone gets a chance to input too. Good way to keep talent around and loyal. What a thought. 

He is probably the best mentor in the NHL because that is how he runs things. He has the final say but he listens to and gets feedback from his team to make that decision. We are very fortunate to get him as PoHO imo.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

That dynamic has been the worst kept secret for years now. Has nothing to do with manufacturing a reason to fire Benning and Weisbrod.

From the towel incidence to the leaked news, it all seems to coincide with the change.  Anyways, old new and nobody really knows.

Just now, ShawnAntoski said:

It seems to be more a Weisbrod thing, with how it was transpiring within the office.

Weisbrod is and has been a cancer everywhere he has been. Divide and dismiss dissenting voices to consolidate his own power has always been his M.O. I knew the day he was hired it would end up with us losing a ton of good people. 

2 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Weisbrod is and has been a cancer everywhere he has been. Divide and dismiss dissenting voices to consolidate his own power has always been his M.O. I knew the day he was hired it would end up with us losing a ton of good people. 

Yeah, he reminds of a corporate rat - parasite.  His inclusion into the last management group, was the one part I didn't like.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

11 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Both Zucker and Pettersson would probably be good adds to this group depending on the cost to acquire them. 

SHHH, don't say that out loud and post it on here...people will say that is a bad idea like they did to my thread!!!

But yes, I agree with your statement...depending on what Pit wants from us in return tho!

20 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Both Zucker and Pettersson would probably be good adds to this group depending on the cost to acquire them. 

which $9.5 mil worth of cap space currently on the team would you give up in favour of zucker and pettersson?

28 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Good point. Skill wise they make sense. Cap wise not so much. Thanks Benning. Improving the team from its current roster will be very tough thanks to cap mismanagement.

yeah JB did leave a frustrating legacy somewhat. its like getting a Christmas gift but someone forgot the batteries.

I do think if w can move out Pearson or Hamonic this offseason we'll be fine. If Dickie continues to play like he has then he's worth his deal.

After next season is a bigger issue in terms of who to keep, or who wants to stay as a UFA.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

yeah JB did leave a frustrating legacy somewhat. its like getting a Christmas gift but someone forgot the batteries.

I do think if w can move out Pearson or Hamonic this offseason we'll be fine. If Dickie continues to play like he has then he's worth his deal.

After next season is a bigger issue in terms of who to keep, or who wants to stay as a UFA.

I am just hoping Rutherford can build the winning culture to the point that these guys take a bit less to stay. 

• Vintage 2

21 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I know a lot of people around the nhl. It’s not really a secret how things operated there under Benning and Weisbrod.

News to me. How were things being operated under Benning and Weisbrod?

5 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I am just hoping Rutherford can build the winning culture to the point that these guys take a bit less to stay. 

If we can make the playoffs and make a small run, I think it could go a long ways to changing the minds of some of the players who are going to be getting larger raises down the foreseeable future - players like Bo, Miller, Boeser specifically. 

It’s also nice that we now have a 3 times Stanley Cup Winner in Rutherford. What can he telll Miller, Bo and Brock about winning a championship, what it feels like, and what he would need from them to get there. Not saying to undercut those players financially. But if they’re taking a little less than what they can get as a UFA or even with another team, to stay here as Canucks to win the Cup, then we could very well have a very strong team moving forward. My only concern would be the backend. Hughes can’t do everything himself. He needs quality players around him to make the defensive corps more quality than it has been under the tenure of Benning’s management team. They really have not built a good defensive unit at all. 

Myers is “OK”; he’s been an absolute beast the other 5 or so games under Boudreau. Been playing great recently. 

Hamonic is a disappointment this season. If we can trade his rights to another team, I think that’ll be a win for us. He’s been a nightmare to have to deal with. 

Poolman - I guess he’s alright for 2.5, but for 3 more years? 

Hughes - nothing negative can be said about him. He’s gold for 6 &^@#ing more years

Burroughs - decent third pairing defenseman. 

Juulsen - decent depth third pairing defenseman. 

If we can upgrade with Hamonic, I’d love that. If we could also get an upgrade on Myers, that’s be fantastic. 

Edited by N4ZZY

On 12/16/2021 at 4:40 PM, wallstreetamigo said:

I know a lot of people around the nhl. It’s not really a secret how things operated there under Benning and Weisbrod.

I think part of the problem is people didn't know how things were run, and there was a definite lack of communication. When your GM says "We ran out of time..." 

Buddy, you had months to try and work it out. If he was trying to dump cap to make room and no one wanted to trade that's a different thing. 

Besides you have an assistant GM. Get him to start the trade talks. When they get close. Bring them to the GM. It's not hard. 

• Cheers 1