The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks hire Derek Clancey as assistant GM

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

13 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

After, the high of the Boudreau hiring; the next few hirings, seems to have some questions.  

You know, for Rutherford, he may need the insight from people he knows, sometimes it is a person being honest and disagreeing, that may help Rutherford feel his opinion is right.

It is why I do not mind people disagreeing with me in a constructive way, it either gives me new info and I change my opinion, or I disagree and it solidifies my opinion. Maybe Clancy is not a yes man, maybe he challenges Rutherford in a constructive way.

IMO, I ask myself, how can I argue with a 3 cup champion? I mean it doesn't hurt to have Sidney, but there were parts that were added.............let's see who the others are.

Edited by J.I.A.H.N
  • Cheers 3

6 hours ago, warrchief said:

We're definitely lacking in pro-scouting, I expect great things.

Now I think need an amateur scout and analytics AGMs since Rutherford wants 3 AGMs apparently.

He will also be overseeing the amateur side.

From the press release:  Derek Clancey, 52, joins the Canucks after working most of his NHL career with the Pittsburgh Penguins between 2007 and 2021. As Assistant GM, Clancey will work closely with Rutherford and will oversee the Canucks professional and amateur scouting staffs.

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Not at all. Because JR is in charge. He approved BB as coach before he took the job. BB is in reality JRs hire as the coach of this team. 

It's JRs show. The GM will be the point man and media guy for JR but all hockey decisions will be JRs to approve. 

Rutherford is well known to run a very close knit and collaborative front office. Him putting an AGM in place before a GM is not a negative at all. He put someone in place who isn’t going to be gunning for the new GM’s job from day 1 but someone who is loyal and on the same page.

Rutherford as President is very different than Benning and his defacto Presidency which resulted in a fractured front office. It’s just not how Rutherford operates. 

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, mll said:

From the press release:  Derek Clancey, 52, joins the Canucks after working most of his NHL career with the Pittsburgh Penguins between 2007 and 2021. As Assistant GM, Clancey will work closely with Rutherford and will oversee the Canucks professional and amateur scouting staffs.

Thanks! Well that crosses off a box, I wonder if Jimmy thinks Ryan Johnson is ready for the AGM role.

28 minutes ago, mll said:

So he’s the dude who was sporting a Pittsburgh Trainers Jacket at the San Jose Barracudas game !

:ph34r:

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, mll said:

So he's the new Judd Bracket for amateur scouting and will also oversee pro scouting. ??

So pretty much he's JRs point man on making trades and drafting...

Very important part of the team .. as important as it gets when you think about it. 

This guy will be front and center in all trades we make.. Clancey's stamp will be on all player movement for Canucks moving forward.. 

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Not sure if it was on local radio sn650 or some other broadcast,  but guys were talking about how it was the Benning and Wisebroad show..  that those two made all the decisions,  ran the ship and everyone else was pretty much out of the loop...

With JR it will be very different imo..

This is a good setup and I would do the same thing if I was Aqua. 

Yes, this is great.  One of JB's biggest mistake was not having a bigger management team around him for more perspectives.  I still don't know what happened with Linden other than it seemed that Linden and JB had different perspectives.

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Not sure if it was on local radio sn650 or some other broadcast,  but guys were talking about how it was the Benning and Wisebroad show..  that those two made all the decisions,  ran the ship and everyone else was pretty much out of the loop...

With JR it will be very different imo..

This is a good setup and I would do the same thing if I was Aqua. 

Worst kept secret in Van was it was a 2 man show mentality. As soon as Weisbrod was hired I knew it would go that way. He has done it everywhere he has been. Anyone with a dissenting voice got pushed out.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Yes, this is great.  One of JB's biggest mistake was not having a bigger management team around him for more perspectives.  I still don't know what happened with Linden other than it seemed that Linden and JB had different perspectives.

Ya I think there are a few posters on here who can really go into detail and explain what transpired with that situation..

But briefly, my understanding is Linden wanted to keep drafting and rebuilding thru draft for another 2 years.. but Benning and Wisebroad sold Aqua on the team being ready to take next step and start adding pieces to contend. 

Two 1st rounders traded away plus 2nd rounders traded.. 

Linden wanted to be more patient and continue drafting and developing..  

Apparently Linden was right..  and JR has also said this team is not at the time of cycle to add older players. He said he won't be trading away 1st rounders.. JR said the moves he makes will be for younger players and won't involve hight picks going other way..

Very interesting next few months. Going to be fun being a fan of the Canucks because there will be action and movement. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

So he's the new Judd Bracket for amateur scouting and will also oversee pro scouting. ??

Very important part of the team .. as important as it gets when you think about it. 

This guy will be front and center in all trades we make.. Clancey's stamp will be on all player movement for Canucks moving forward.. 

More the John Weisbrod - he was the one overseeing both pro and amateur scouting.  Brackett reported to him.  

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Worst kept secret in Van was it was a 2 man show mentality. As soon as Weisbrod was hired I knew it would go that way. He has done it everywhere he has been. Anyone with a dissenting voice got pushed out.

Ya the worst mistake of Bennings tenure as GM here was to have Wisebroad as his sidekick. 

They are both cut from the same cloth. Both meat and potatoes guys..

Benning needed a guy opposite of his own capabilities.. Benning needed a younger, smart, executive type..  a guy highly qualified  and trained in business side of things.. 

No need for a carbon copy of your self. Need someone to compliment you and bring skills you don't have to achieve your goals..  

JR is doing exactly what should be done. He knows what he's doing. 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, mll said:

More the John Weisbrod - he was the one overseeing both pro and amateur scouting.  Brackett reported to him.  

I see.

Wisebroad sucked at his job. Never liked him as our AGM for 1 single day .. 

But gotta say the Miller trade and some of the draft picks were great. If Weisbroad was responsible for the bad decisions he must be credited for the good ones

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Wow, wow, wow....  

Let's keep Klancey out of our drafting.  Repeating the Pens drafting over the last 8 years would be a disaster.  

I'll be extremely disappointed if Rutherford keeps anyone out of the Pens' drafting.  

7 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Jim Rutherford:

"We are building a front office with people with a variety of backgrounds. Derek has excellent experience and has played an important role on three Stanley Cup winning teams. He will be a key member of our leadership team as we create a progressive, collaborative hockey operations group that can support our team and players at all levels."

The words progressive and collaborative are what stands out to me the most.

We gotta be progressive as an organization. Can’t do things the way they were done 10-20 years ago. The game has changed too much. Chasing the cup we lost against Boston is the exact trap we wanna avoid.

And collaborative is crucial to a championship team. It can never be one or two guys calling the shot like under Benning. You need to empower everyone to pull on the rope and provide input for the best possible results. Just like Boudreau is empowering his players, a president needs to empower his managers and his scouts.

• Cheers 4

15 minutes ago, mll said:

John Weisbrod came up through the ranks in the Eastern United States to play in the big leagues.  His manager career took him back through Eastern hockey, into the AHL and eventually into the NHL.  This whole notion that nobody knows what he did was propagated by ...  well lazy people, to put it mildly.  

Todd Harvey was hired to overlook amateur scouting and he has replaced Judd Brackett directly.  

So just to wrap this back around to you and @WHL rocks, I think that our new hire won't be replacing anyone directly but will rather be heading only the pro scouting department.  IF we fire Todd Harvey, then we can look at who will be heading the amateur scouting, but for now the roles should be clearly defined.  

Clancey - pro scouting 

Todd Harvey - amateur scouting 

All reporting to the GM to be named. 

7 hours ago, AriGold said:

He's really a scout that is looking to transition into the GM. He's responsible for the horrific draft list for the last 6 years.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00007475.html

Do teams that consistently finish in the top third of the league have anything but horrible draft picks? All in all, Pens haven’t done that badly picking mainly late second round  and  later.

JR traded a lot of those late first round picks to fill holes in the roster.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The words progressive and collaborative are what stands out to me the most.

We gotta be progressive as an organization. Can’t do things the way they were done 10-20 years ago. The game has changed too much. Chasing the cup we lost against Boston is the exact trap we wanna avoid.

And collaborative is crucial to a championship team. It can never be one or two guys calling the shot like under Benning. You need to empower everyone to pull on the rope and provide input for the best possible results. Just like Boudreau is empowering his players, a president needs to empower his managers and his scouts.

And voila, the end result is Canucks sitting there 5-0 since the change. If the future was bright, it's alot brighter now.

• Cheers 1