The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/UPDATE: Game(s) Postponed] December 18, 2021 Toronto Maple Leafs (20-8-2) @ Vancouver Canucks (14-15-2) at 4:00 pm on SportsNet TV and Radio 650

Rate this topic

Goal:thecup

6 hours ago, Duodenum said:

Incorrect. Vaccination was tested and shown to have 90+% protection, at the time, against serious illness caused by covid. It is much less effective at protecting from catching the virus. 

Then why does it say this on the BC-CDC website? Is it misinformation?  

"Two doses of either mRNA vaccine was more than 90% at preventing COVID-19 infection."

http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/covid-19-vaccine/measuring-vaccination-impact-coverage

also @viking mama

Edited by CptCanuck16

2 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

Sorry not a political topic but what the heck . Everything above on Covid carrying bats may be right But covid 19 is a engineered virus this is being proven in congress in the US now  who to blame Doc Fauci and National Institutes of health gain of function research that was carried on at Wuhan.

Engineered...possibly.   Would explain how an outbreak in Hawaii, near a US bioweapons base, had folks get sick with covid 19 before the outbreak in China.   Don't believe everything you read absolutely.   False news is everywhere,  and the US did everything they could to blame this on China, especially under Trump.   Control the news you control the world - or narrative that is.     Right?    Ugh.   I made a post earlier, when this started the data was on the internet, and someone has done a great job of scrubbing it off (soldiers drying of a mystery disease in Hawaii, later test positive for covid 19)..    If Wu-han is the source, then how did people have covid before, and soldiers that were sick end up in an army hospital with covid 19 in September?    A few died too.  This maybe is "China" planting false news - who knows.   But do you really trust the US?   I do not.     

2 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

"Two doses of either mRNA vaccine was more than 90% at preventing COVID-19 infection."

http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/covid-19-vaccine/measuring-vaccination-impact-coverage

Yes, that was accurate for the variant they were testing against. 
Omicron is a double escape variant in that it has two mutations that help it to evade the immunity created by the immunizations and previous infections. 
This isn’t a zero or 100% thing though. Immunization still significantly reduces spread of omicron and reduces severity of illness significantly. 
the info is correct but slightly out of date. 

2 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

Sorry not a political topic but what the heck . Everything above on Covid carrying bats may be right But covid 19 is a engineered virus this is being proven in congress in the US now  who to blame Doc Fauci and National Institutes of health gain of function research that was carried on at Wuhan.

I think the most ridiculous part of this statement is “proven in congress in the US”. 
‘If one group says black the other says white and both say they have proven themselves correct. 

30% of cold viruses are coronaviruses. We have seen them mutate into SARS and other potential pandemics over the last several years. Over the last two years we have watched the virus evolve in real time. This is what viruses do and they have done throughout human history. Yes, it is now happening in a time where the US and Chinese governments can’t be trusted about just about anything and where social media and the radicalization of the news makes it difficult to elucidate non-biased info but one thing is clear it has not been proven that this was engineered in a lab as much as many political trolls want you to believe this. 

1 minute ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Okay, this statement here is a bit racist.  Just because a cultural has different cultural practices than yours does does not make them "abnormal" or "uncivilized ".   China has been China for over 5,000 years. They've probably been eating bats for that long too.  Meanwhile Canada has been Canada for merely 150 years. Who is the abnormal one in the context? 

Haha, they really stepped on their point there.

9 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

So what did everyone end up doing this afternoon instead of doing what we were all supposed to do (watch the game). 

The sun came out mid afternoon so I hopped on my bike and got some much needed fresh air and cardio!  I acted like a 10 year old boy ... the park was completely flooded in some spots and paths had become full on ponds with ducks swimming in them.  I took full advantage and rode through every single one of them, fast.  Was soaked up to my thighs but I had so much fun and it was a great work out.   Was a good afternoon, needed to vent a bit and that was the perfect way to do it.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Lemons to lemonade day.

• Like 3
  • RoughGame 1

27 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

also @viking mama

The variants have come into play though and it's an ever changing battle and set of numbers.

Note where it says "Study period Apr-May 2021".  Then the Delta started to really hit and now Omicron.  The yardsticks move and that's why we're getting yet another booster and they continue to try to adapt to meet the demands that these variants require.

Not misinformation..consider it information that changes as the virus does.  There's no way to accurately pinpoint what it will do or how it will react to the vaccine until it actually plays out.  People stuck on square one and tired of it all have to realize that this is a "novel coronavirus" and so we have to be prepared to do what it takes until it no longer hits in waves that can overwhelm the healthcare system and create huge problems.  We're all tired of this, but we're not clear to just ignore it yet.

You can't use information released in Apr/May and apply it to December, with a new variant in play.  It's not "misinformation" but it is old information and time will tell what develops and how effective the vaccines are.

What we do know is that vaccination is the best line of defence to minimize the impact.  Doing nothing will do...nothing to help us combat this new wave and the surge it's showing.

image.png

• Like 1
  • RoughGame 1

21 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Immunization still significantly reduces spread of omicron and reduces severity of illness significantly

It absolutely does nothing of the sort. Open your eyes, man. Omicron is spreading lightning fast, and immunizations are not slowing it one bit. Now, they do reduce illness severity, that is definitely observable. So, you are half right, I suppose.

Just now, Battlemonger said:

It absolutely does nothing of the sort. Open your eyes, man. Omicron is spreading lightning fast, and immunizations are not slowing it one bit. Now, they do reduce illness severity, that is definitely observable. So, you are half right, I suppose.

Actually, original statement was correct. There is a big difference between nothing, something and everything. The immunizations, especially with a booster do reduce spread just not nearly as much as with the original. 

This variant is magnitudes of order more infective that OG-COVID.  If our communities were not 80-90% immunized the raw number of cases and positivity rate would be much, much higher. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Battlemonger said:

It does reduce the severity of illness by all accounts so far, which is important because the healthcare system won't be swamped.

• Like 1
  • RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Actually, original statement was correct. There is a big difference between nothing, something and everything. The immunizations, especially with a booster do reduce spread just not nearly as much as with the original. 

This variant is magnitudes of order more infective that OG-COVID.  If our communities were not 80-90% immunized the raw number of cases and positivity rate would be much, much higher. 

The scale would determine the difference between nothing, something and everything. So, depending on scale, the difference may be big, or it may be small. You can't just make blanket statements like this. We don't know what the raw numbers of cases without immunization would be, and talking about that is mere speculation. What we do know is highly immunized communities are being hit hard by Omicron. That tells us that immunization does not significantly reduce the spread. So, you are still half right.

1 minute ago, Battlemonger said:

The scale would determine the difference between nothing, something and everything. So, depending on scale, the difference may be big, or it may be small. You can't just make blanket statements like this. We don't know what the raw numbers of cases without immunization would be, and talking about that is mere speculation. What we do know is highly immunized communities are being hit hard by Omicron. That tells us that immunization does not significantly reduce the spread. So, you are still half right.

You're only focusing on "spread" though..."severity" matters.

• RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, Battlemonger said:

Not at all. There were two points of interest in the subject, and I addressed both.

It's early, I'll go back and check again.    Yes, you did in fact admit that part.

But what IS your point, exactly, in all of this?  Because I just haven't had enough coffee yet to determine what you'd like us to take away.

• RoughGame 1

6 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

It does reduce the severity of illness by all accounts so far, which is important because the healthcare system won't be swamped.

We don't know how this variant is going to behave at all.  All eyes on the UK right now.  Hospitalizations and deaths are going up daily........though their vax rate isn't nearly high enough.

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

We don't know how this variant is going to behave at all.  All eyes on the UK right now.  Hospitalizations and deaths are going up daily........though their vax rate isn't nearly high enough.

"So far" (which is where I covered that part).

Which is the scary part.

For me, those using "it spreads anyway" for their argument against vaccinations or taking action to circuit break aren't understanding that just because something doesn't do "everything", doesn't mean it will do nothing.  We have to do everything we can to stop the steep incline this is taking.

• Vintage 2
  • RoughGame 1

8 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

"So far" (which is where I covered that part).

Which is the scary part.

For me, those using "it spreads anyway" for their argument against vaccinations or taking action to circuit break aren't understanding that just because something doesn't do "everything", doesn't mean it will do nothing.  We have to do everything we can to stop the steep incline this is taking.

I'll feel a little better when I get a booster shot and I really wish they hadn't dropped the ball on rapid tests for the holidays.  That could have been a very important tool in managing the emergence of this variant. 

People aren't going to follow the restrictions this year, that's a given, and the rt's could have mitigated a lot of the spread at family gatherings which is guaranteed to happen.

8 hours ago, viking mama said:

Did you not go to see “Spider-Man: No Way Home”?! Dude, I feel your pain. 

No, by the time the game was officially cancelled and we got around to looking at movie tickets Spiderman was pretty much sold out. 

I voted for Dune but was overruled. I've got an awesome wife, so sometimes I just go with the flow.

House of Gucci is 2hr 40min long. Felt like being in purgatory where nothing is good or bad, just meh

15 minutes ago, stawns said:

I wont argue. You can argue with this:

Today - in Ontario. 

Of the 4,177 new cases recorded, the data showed 905 were unvaccinated people, 142 were partially vaccinated people, 2,977 were fully vaccinated people and for 153 people the vaccination status was unknown.

Immunizations do not slow the spread. At all. I rest my case.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1