The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/UPDATE: Game(s) Postponed] December 18, 2021 Toronto Maple Leafs (20-8-2) @ Vancouver Canucks (14-15-2) at 4:00 pm on SportsNet TV and Radio 650

Rate this topic

Goal:thecup

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I hate getting involved in this topic now, but wasn't that the core justification for segregating society? (The vaccine is highly effective at preventing transmission & unvaxxed are far more likely to spread, therefore are a danger to everyone in public settings)

Let's not pretend this is the first disease that has required these kinds of measures.  This has been the game plan several times in the last 100 years or so.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I hate getting involved in this topic now, but wasn't that the core justification for segregating society? (The vaccine is highly effective at preventing transmission & unvaxxed are far more likely to spread, therefore are a danger to everyone in public settings)

I think it is and has always been about preventing Covid from destroying out healthcare system; as well as the economy with so many seriously ill people.  Unvaxxed people are not spreading the virus any more than the vaxxed population, but they are far more at risk of becoming seriously ill if they do get the virus. 

That's why it's important for everyone to maintain the protocols. 

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Gotcha, my mistake.

Those mandates are absolutely necessary to maintain some kind of cap on this virus. Your mistake is you think it's a disease that only gets the elderly and immunocompromised, it's not.  At my school we lost a 31 year old father, healthy by all accounts, unvaxxed and anti mask, anti mandates etc etc.  His 8 year old daughter contracted it at day care, brought it home and he was dead in two weeks.  Now this girl has to live with that guilt.

I'm now 50, I've been an athlete all my life, live a healthy lifestyle.  I eat well, exercise regularily and don't have any serious vices.  I don't have underlying conditions.  In early February of 2020 I got very ill, in a way I never had before and though I wasn't tested (there were no tests then) I know, without a doubt, that I got caught in that first wave.  Almost two full years later I still struggle, everyday, with the aftermath of that illness.  My life after covid is not the as it was before.

It is not a disease that only gets the elderly and immuno compromised.

Sad to hear that bro. I hear a lot of varying accounts on the magnitude of this virus.

I have relatives that got sick too, some very mild, some slightly severe. Every one of them treated it at home and got well.

Glad you were able to overcome it.

You might have stronger antibodies now. Did you get the shot too?

14 minutes ago, Cromeslab said:

This thread has kinda morphed into a Covid thread.Dont we have one already?Waiting to hear if any more players have tested positive or when next game may be.......

COVID is the reason things are being postponed and so it's relevant to the topic.

When things get moving again, there will be a new GDT but, for now, this conversation is related.

• RoughGame 1

13 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Things are changing and the variants aren't all the same in how they behave or react so we're  now experiencing some of that.

It takes a combined effort....vaccine PLUS doing other things until they are more predictable and researched.  To circuit break as much as possible.  People want to hone in on vaccinations like a magic cure...they never were intended as such.  They're to help combat the severity and (yes, earlier on) the spread.  This variant is proving to be a bit more aggressive in transmission.

• RoughGame 1

19 minutes ago, Cromeslab said:

This thread has kinda morphed into a Covid thread.Dont we have one already?Waiting to hear if any more players have tested positive or when next game may be.......

I agree this is brutal. Take your anti vaxx pro vaxx crap elsewhere.

(I'm vaxxed haha)

5 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

COVID is the reason things are being postponed and so it's relevant to the topic.

When things get moving again, there will be a new GDT but, for now, this conversation is related.

Hi Deb, I started a GDT for today, if you choose to accept it.

I was hoping we could leave all the Covid discussions here, and talk hockey in the new GDT; what do you think?

I have a cop friend (vaxxed and about 45yr old) who played pick up ice hockey with some guys.  One guy had Covid-19 (mild symptoms and admitted it afterwards) and ended up infecting 12 other guys.  The rest also got mild symptoms but my cop friend got the worst of it.  He was out of commission for 2 months.  Not bad for ICU but bad enough that he couldn't be physically active (lungs couldn't keep up).  Thankfully he recovered. 

So even if vaxxed, the reactions will be different for everyone. 

• Vintage 1

11 hours ago, brilac said:

I wore my pajamas all day, enjoyed sewing/quilting, walked on the treadmill, cleaned, did laundry and the dishes, brushed the cat, mapped out the location for my booster shot appointment, ate a salad with avocado, enjoyed the delicious sweets I have, and sold my Kraken ticket to tonights game. 

Avocados:

About a decade ago a co-worker comes into the crew mess and looks in the fridge. She starts swearing like a trucker that someone has stolen her avocados.

Since this is about 5 am, a thing like that can ruin your whole day. I suggest we do something to change her mood, and mention I almost always feel better after listening to the blues, and perhaps we should write a song to let out that angst.

Took us 5 minutes  to write; may I present

The Avocado Blues

I come to work in the morinng

My eyes bloodshot and red

My body is craving

That old rich green spread

But when I open the fridge

I lay a hand up side my head

Who's the desperado

Who stole my avocado

I stand there a weaving

Misty eyed and disbelieving

Who would do such a thing?

Who's the desperado

Who stole my avocado

I wish I could be certain

Of who I should be hurtin

to ensure this doesn't happen again

Who's the desperado

Who stole my avocado

You must feel  you are worthy

But I hope you die of scurvy

I've got those old avocado blues.

Written by gurn and Lora R.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, BPA said:

I have a cop friend (vaxxed and about 45yr old) who played pick up ice hockey with some guys.  One guy had Covid-19 (mild symptoms and admitted it afterwards) and ended up infecting 12 other guys.  The rest also got mild symptoms but my cop friend got the worst of it.  He was out of commission for 2 months.  Not bad for ICU but bad enough that he couldn't be physically active (lungs couldn't keep up).  Thankfully he recovered. 

That was one irresponsible idiot.

Sorry but if you have symptoms why risk infecting others and changing their lives, potentially forever.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Avocados:

About a decade ago a co-worker comes into the crew mess and looks in the fridge. She starts swearing like a trucker that someone has stolen her avocados.

Since this is about 5 am, a thing like that can ruin your whole day. I suggest we do something to change her mood, and mention I almost always feel better after listening to the blues, and perhaps we should write a song to let out that angst.

Took us 5 minutes  to write; may I present

The Avocado Blues

I come to work in the morinng

My eyes bloodshot and red

My body is craving

That old rich green spread

But when I open the fridge

I lay a hand up side my head

Who's the desperado

Who stole my avocado

I stand there a weaving

Misty eyed and disbelieving

Who would do such a thing?

Who's the desperado

Who stole my avocado

I wish I could be certain

Of who I should be hurtin

to ensure this doesn't happen again

Who's the desperado

Who stole my avocado

You must feel  you are worthy

But I hope you die of scurvy

I've got those old avocado blues.

Written by gurn and Lora R.

That's awesome!!!

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Hi Deb, I started a GDT for today, if you choose to accept it.

I was hoping we could leave all the Covid discussions here, and talk hockey in the new GDT; what do you think?

Hey...that is awesome.  I don't think we should post another GDT though until we know the status of things?  Could be misleading.

I appreciate you doing these GDT's (so much...thank you for picking up the slack).  You can definitely do a GDT and post it when we have confirmation of the schedule?  Sound good?

The COVID talk is relevant (to some degree) but let's try to keep it focused on what is happening with the team and NHL in here.  The other stuff can definitely go to... in the COVID thread.  We'll start morphing this back into hockey talk, good plan. 

• RoughGame 1

5 minutes ago, BPA said:

Wow, that would be friends off for me after that.

• Cheers 2