The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Braden Schneider

Aliright, I'm sitting here in my recliner eagerly awaiting the start of the Van-TO game ( who'd have thought I'd be saying that this year) and I've been scheming in my head how to snipe Braden Schneider without giving up anything we need, roster-wise and not offering up any first round picks (as per JR's wishes), and I've come to one conclusion. It's not happening. First round picks are always highly valued and are always dealt at a high cost.

I think, for now, I can safely say none of Miller, Boeser, Petey, Hughes, Horvat, or Garland are available. So, I have to nip at the edges of this roster to find a deal.

Looking at New York's roster shows one glaring weakness. Right wing. While their left side is loaded with the likes of Panarin, Kreider, and Lafreniere, their right side only has Kakko as an offensive option. Not ideal.

Nils Hoglander, Jack Rathbone, Tyler Motte, 2022 3rd rounder for Braden Schneider

Yes, Hoglander is a lefty but, he plays a very reliable right wing. He is young and still growing his game. He would be a great addition to their forward core and would slot in nicely behind Kakko. He's also not going to break the bank with his next contract. They also get a promising defensive prospect to replace the void left by the loss of Schneider and a 3rd round pick. TYler Motte gives them depth for a playoff run.

We get our right side dman of the future.

I see him slotting in nicely as Hughes' future partner. 

NY gets players for now, we get a player to move our dcore forward in the future.

• Haha 1

Hoglander is the type of forward that helps team win games. For a small guy, he is gritty along the boards and brings offensive flair. He really reminds me of Brad Marchand minus the cheap shots. 

I understand that we want a legit top3RD but I think what we have in Myers-Hamonic-Poolman-Burroughs-Schenn makes it possible for us to wait it out instead of overpaying for other team's prospect. Myers has been playing well under Boudreau and Poolman is starting to look more comfortable as well. Hammer is injured but I assume he'd do well too. Both Burroughs and Scheen have been pleasant surprises as well.

Anyhow, we have enough to hold the fort.

We might be able to draft an RD in the next draft with our own first rounder and that player may surprise and make the NHL in a year, you never know. Then, we are going to regret trading Hoglander because we will have to fill that hole. As it stands, our draft pick is likely going to be in the 10-20 range where many good defencemen have been drafted in the past. Schneider himself was #19 overall pick.

This season, all I'd do is a minor trade to boost the bottom pairing, specifically getting one more LD.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, khay said:

Hoglander is the type of forward that helps team win games. For a small guy, he is gritty along the boards and brings offensive flair. He really reminds me of Brad Marchand minus the cheap shots. 

I understand that we want a legit top3RD but I think what we have in Myers-Hamonic-Poolman-Burroughs-Schenn makes it possible for us to wait it out instead of overpaying for other team's prospect. Myers has been playing well under Boudreau and Poolman is starting to look more comfortable as well. Hammer is injured but I assume he'd do well too. Both Burroughs and Scheen have been pleasant surprises as well.

Anyhow, we have enough to hold the fort.

We might be able to draft an RD in the next draft with our own first rounder and that player may surprise and make the NHL in a year, you never know. Then, we are going to regret trading Hoglander because we will have to fill that hole. As it stands, our draft pick is likely going to be in the 10-20 range where many good defencemen have been drafted in the past. Schneider himself was #19 overall pick.

This season, all I'd do is a minor trade to boost the bottom pairing, specifically getting one more LD.

Wait what out?

We don't have a ligit top four rhd in our system.

We also have Podkolzin who's been playing much better and is full marks for his playing time.

I think, in this case, Hoglander's expendable.

4 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

Wait what out?

We don't have a ligit top four rhd in our system.

We also have Podkolzin who's been playing much better and is full marks for his playing time.

I think, in this case, Hoglander's expendable.

Wait until the end of the season to see if we can draft one ourselves or UFA or make better trades instead of giving up a 20 year old that oozes potential.

This type of short sighted thinking is what exactly how you lose great players.

Hoglander is in the NHL. Schneider is in the AHL. Not a smart trade.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, khay said:

Wait until the end of the season to see if we can draft one ourselves or UFA or make better trades instead of giving up a 20 year old that oozes potential.

This type of short sighted thinking is what exactly how you lose great players.

Hoglander is in the NHL. Schneider is in the AHL. Not a smart trade.

1. We've been dealing with ifs and maybes for 51 yrs. The draft isn't the only place to get great talent for the future as long as dealings are done smartly and with a vision in mind. As a fan of developing from the net out, I see this as a solid move to re-shaping our blueline. Yes, we lose a promising young player but, to get something good, one has to give up something good. Having two top D prospects (if we got one at the draft) vs one is a much better position to be in, imo.

2. Bad ufa signings are playing a big role in why we're in cap trouble. No thank you.

3. What's better, at this point, then picking up top ranked D prospects? and, In what way is this short sighted?

1 minute ago, komodo0921 said:

1. We've been dealing with ifs and maybes for 51 yrs. The draft isn't the only place to get great talent for the future as long as dealings are done smartly and with a vision in mind. As a fan of developing from the net out, I see this as a solid move to re-shaping our blueline. Yes, we lose a promising young player but, to get something good, one has to give up something good. Having two top D prospects (if we got one at the draft) vs one is a much better position to be in, imo.

2. Bad ufa signings are playing a big role in why we're in cap trouble. No thank you.

3. What's better, at this point, then picking up top ranked D prospects? and, In what way is this short sighted?

1. Of course. Draft isn't the only place but it is absolutely the best way to get a bona fide RHD prospect. You almost always have to overpay to fill that position otherwise. So why not try to see if we can find one in this draft before making a trade? 

2. UFA is not the best way I agree. I wasn't saying we should get one through UFA but just explaining why we should wait until the offseason. With the cap staying flat, you never know who might become available and at what price. There may be other trade options, like how Schmidt became available for a 3rd rounder, giving us some time to we fill out RHD position in our system.

3. Top ranked D prospect is still a prospect. Hoglander is already in the NHL and contributing at a high level. He is taking on some of the toughest minutes alongside Bo Horvat. Trading a roster player that contributes so much to the team for a prospect who hasn't played a single NHL game sounds short sighted to me. You are banking on Podkolzin overtaking Hoglander but that's to be determined and they play a very different style and we need to have different style of players so as to be able to win games in a multiple ways. We finally have depth up front to compete, why destroy it at this point? 

I don't like the idea of taking a roster player of Hoglander's caliber out just to beef up the prospect pool.

Yes, we need an RHD prospect. Would love to have someone that can slot in soon. But on the other hand, we have 3 decent ones signed at least until next season. Myers is a top4RHD based on minutes whether you want to admit to it or not. Hamonic is a top 4 in the way he can eat up defensive minutes. Poolman is a 5/6 option that can fill in for top 4 minutes when needed. And having a special player like Hughes allows us to ice player like Schenn in the top 4 role.

You might not like these players but having them earns us some time to draft one ourselves or wait for a better deal at least until we know for sure that Schneider is NHL caliber.

I don't know how good Schneider is but is he one year away or two years away form the NHL? If two or more years away, then what's the rush to get him? 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

Aliright, I'm sitting here in my recliner eagerly awaiting the start of the Van-TO game ( who'd have thought I'd be saying that this year) and I've been scheming in my head how to snipe Braden Schneider without giving up anything we need, roster-wise and not offering up any first round picks (as per JR's wishes), and I've come to one conclusion. It's not happening. First round picks are always highly valued and are always dealt at a high cost.

I think, for now, I can safely say none of Miller, Boeser, Petey, Hughes, Horvat, or Garland are available. So, I have to nip at the edges of this roster to find a deal.

Looking at New York's roster shows one glaring weakness. Right wing. While their left side is loaded with the likes of Panarin, Kreider, and Lafreniere, their right side only has Kakko as an offensive option. Not ideal.

Nils Hoglander, Jack Rathbone, Tyler Motte, 2022 3rd rounder for Braden Schneider

Yes, Hoglander is a lefty but, he plays a very reliable right wing. He is young and still growing his game. He would be a great addition to their forward core and would slot in nicely behind Kakko. He's also not going to break the bank with his next contract. They also get a promising defensive prospect to replace the void left by the loss of Schneider and a 3rd round pick. TYler Motte gives them depth for a playoff run.

We get our right side dman of the future.

I see him slotting in nicely as Hughes' future partner. 

NY gets players for now, we get a player to move our dcore forward in the future.

i too would love Rutherford to find a way to grab Schneider however the reasons you noted with Hoglander are the exact reason i wouldn't trade him. Not sure we have what the Rangers want to allow us to snag him :(

• Cheers 1

There is absolutely no chance that your proposal could come to fruition.  The Rangers don’t want what you are proposing, a group of tweeners and a third round pick.  I am not even sure that the Rangers would swap Schneider, who they moved up in the draft to select and who they consider to be a stud dman with a long future in New York, for JT Miller straight up.  Schneider is not going anywhere until the Rangers receive an offer that captures their interest and provides key pieces that they need for both the present and the future, your proposal doesn’t even come close to meeting that criterion.  Would you have accepted that package for Podkolzin last year while he was still playing in Russia?  I’m certain that the Rangers feel that Schneider has a much higher ceiling than Podkolzin does.  Rangers chuckle, thank you for calling and hang up.